MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coughs and Sore throat

Guest Guest

HOREHOUND COUGH SYRUP

Make an old-time cough remedy by mixing horehound tea with honey. Make an infusion by steeping 1 ounce of fresh or dried horehound leaves in a pint of boiling water. Allow it to steep only 10 minutes.

Strain off the leaves, then measure the quantity of liquid remaining. Add twice as much honey as liquid, mix well, and bottle.

To soothe a cough, take 1 teaspoon at a time, about 4 times a day!!

Taken from: Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Herbs

HOREHOUND CANDY

3 qts. horehound leaves

2 cups sugar

First pick the horehound leaves. They need to be picked before the first frost but they can be dried. The plant grows in the wild in bunches about two by three feet. It is about fifteen inches tall with its leaves three-fourths of an inch by one inch.

Horehound is used to make many things including tea, candy and cough drops. To make candy, you should have about 3 quarts of leaves lying loosely in the pan.

Put horehound leaves in a 4 quart pan. Fill up with water and boil until there is only 1 cup of liquid left in the pan. The more you boil it, the stronger it gets. Strain the leaves out. Boil liquid and sugar to hard ball stage. Pour in a greased pan. When slightly cool cut in the desired shape. The candy will get hard.

Horehound Cough Sweets

4 oz Fresh White Horehound Leaves

1/2 t Crushed Aniseseed

3 Crushed Cardamom Seeds

1 pt Water

12 oz White Sugar

12 oz Brown Sugar

Put herbs into water and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain through a filter. Over a low heat, dissolve sugars into the infusion and boil over a medium heat until the syrup hardens when drops are put into cold water. Pout into an oiled tray. Score when partially cooled. Store wrapped individually in waxed papers (like taffy).

Old-Fashioned Horehound Drops

1 ounce dried horehound leaves or 6 ounces fresh leaves

3 cups very hot water

3 1/2 pounds brown sugar

2 teaspoons peppermint extract

Pour very hot water over the horehound. Steep 30 minutes, while keeping on

low heat. Strain. Add sugar and dissolve. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until mixture reaches 295 degrees F. (the temperature for brittle candy). Add peppermint, then drop mixture quickly on a buttered board, half a teaspoon at a time, or pour into a shallow, buttered pan and cut into squares before it completely hardens.

Horehound Candy

1 1/4 cups water

2 cups fresh horehound leaves or 1 cup dried horehound

4 cups brown sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

Put the water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, add

the horehound, cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture stand for 1 hour to infuse.

Strain the liquid and discard the horehound. Add the sugar and the corn syrup to the liquid, and boil it to the hard-crack stage - 300ºF on a candy

thermometer.

Pour the syrup into a buttered 12 x 8-inch pan. When the candy begins to set, mark it into squares with the tip of a sharp knife. Cut the candy into pieces when cold.

Cough syryp

1 qt. honey

1 large strong onion

1 bulb (not a clove) garlic (sliced)

Put the honey in a sauce pan or small crock pot. Add the onion and garlic. Simmer on very low heat for about 8 hours. Strain through cheesecloth and it's ready to use when it cools.

Recipe For Horehound Candy:

1. Make a strong horehound infusion: Boil one cup of fresh leaves with two cups of water for ten minutes. Let steep for five minutes and then strain.

2. To make horehound candy: Use one cup of horehound infusion to two cups of white sugar. Place sugar in small saucepan and stir in 1/8th teaspoon cream of tartar, then add the horehound infusion. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then cook over low heat until it reaches 290 Fahrenheit degrees on a candy thermometer. [Or until a drop of the cooked infusion in cold water becomes a hard, glossy ball.] Pour on a buttered plate and score into cough drop sizes when it is semi-hardened. When cool, break apart into sections and store in a cool place until used.

This recipe from a book called Old Ways Rediscovered. It is a very old recipe:

Enough dried horehound leaves to tightly pack a tea ball

1 cup boiling water

2 cups brown sugar (dark or light)

1/2 cup corn syrup (dark or light)

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

candy thermometer

Steep the horehound in the tea ball in the boiling water for half an hour. Strain the leaves - really squish them to get the potent oils out. Into this liquid (add a bit of water if after steeping it's less than 1 cup) add brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Heat and stir util dissolved. Heat to 300 degrees F on candy thermometer. You won't need to stir util it gets to about 250. Then, stir to prevent scorching, turn the heat down if necessary - don't let it scorch!

Pour into a greased (use Pam) pan, aluminum is good, cake pans work great. Let cool and break into pieces. You can "sand" the rough edges off by shaking the pieces in some white sugar. Store in airtight container.

‘ganked from another group’

Horehound and honey

At the first sign of a sore throat, take a tablespoon until throat feels better. Boil 2C water then add 1/4 c dried herb; continue to boil for 5 minutes. Strain and add twice as much honey as horehound mixture.

i use to eat horehound cany and drops love it thanks for the recipie

the onion one yuck!!!

one year my brothers and i all got a bad cold... so dad started cooking up a lot of onions and every so often on of the boys would ask what he was cooking, he would just grin.. i knew that grin so i hid, so the next time one of the boys cought they got a good dose of it, dad never heared me cough or anything... i hid and used a pillow to quite my coughs... you ever seen a cat spit and spudder after giving it something distasteful... well that was how my brothers reacted...

• 3 years later...

Archived