MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flu Shots May Not Work This Year

Let the barfing begin. :hidingsmile:

The flu vaccine might not have you covered this year.

Dec 4th 2014 6:29PM

Doesn't it seem like we're always reporting that the latest flu vaccine might not keep up with the latest strain? Well, here's another unfortunate warning as we head into the depths of flu season.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says much of the flu virus going around this year has mutated, making this year's vaccine less effective. (Video via CNN)

So far, most flu cases this year are being caused by a strain called H3N2.

The vaccine to combat that strand was formulated months ago, and it worked ... at first. But because the strain has changed since then, it's now unable to protect against it as well.

It's not uncommon for flu strains to mutate. Flu.gov explains flu viruses are constantly changing, and that's why we're supposed to get a flu shot every year.

But there is some good news. Although the vaccine does not completely protect against the H3N2 mutation, it does offer some cross protection.

Meaning the vaccine's formula still partially protects against viruses it wasn't specifically designed for. So it could reduce the chances of getting severe symptoms if the strain is contracted.

In addition, the vaccine still adequately protects against the some of the other flu strains going around, and because of this, health officials are still recommending most people over six months of age get the shot. (Video via University Of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center)

Because more people might become ill this year with H3N2, the CDC is reminding doctors the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza are available to treat those who are infected.

Flu season usually peaks between December and February.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/04/the-flu-vaccine-might-not-have-you-covered-this-year/21003132/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D576062

We were a bit upselt a week or so ago when we went to the city to buy a pair of snow shoes (from Craigs List) that MrWE2 needed since the bindings on his old ones had broken and these were only $50 instead of $150+. When we pulled up the gentleman came out carrying the snowshoes and said "I have the flu, I forgot to tell you"...so we made him set them down against his fence & asked him to remain 6 foot or so away from us. I headed for Miss B and dug out the money & handed a single bill to MrWE2 and he handed it to him VERY carefully. (didn't want him making change for us!) When the transaction was finished we both dug into our Wet Ones and gave our hands a good scrubbing, then blew our noses and scrubbed our hands again. Why don't people consider others? We've had this rant on MS soooo many times :-( I know we're contraversial, but we take the flu shot. It's a personal choice so let's not get into the arguments as to why some don't...OK?

Ends up I got sick with same symptoms when Friend M got her shot and had a reaction and got sick from it, I caught it from her. The nausea it caused was really awful, but I managed to just lay down and sleep, next day fever ( light) would break and repeat a few times, then I was better. It can also lead to congestion symptoms which Friend M also got .I have not but the nausea and fever..it sucked.... aren't these dead vaccines, not the live type? what the heck. I get it from someone supposedly vaccinated?

This all just went on very recently.

( won't be taking the shot. maybe Im supposedly immune now anyway.)

We have kicked up our preventive care around here. Good hand washing, diffusing essential oils, increase vitamin C and avoiding public as much as possible. Which is kind of hard both Saintsfan and myself since he works at the hospital and I am the secretary of the biggest Methodist church in town. Oh yeah preventive maintenance everywhere. Clorox wipes stay in my desk along with a can of Lysol. The pastor went home sick Tuesday and has not been back in the office so today I Lysoled and wiped down his office. I REFUSE to get sick.

We were a bit upselt a week or so ago when we went to the city to buy a pair of snow shoes (from Craigs List) that MrWE2 needed since the bindings on his old ones had broken and these were only $50 instead of $150+. When we pulled up the gentleman came out carrying the snowshoes and said "I have the flu, I forgot to tell you"...so we made him set them down against his fence & asked him to remain 6 foot or so away from us. I headed for Miss B and dug out the money & handed a single bill to MrWE2 and he handed it to him VERY carefully. (didn't want him making change for us!) When the transaction was finished we both dug into our Wet Ones and gave our hands a good scrubbing, then blew our noses and scrubbed our hands again. Why don't people consider others? We've had this rant on MS soooo many times :-( I know we're contraversial, but we take the flu shot. It's a personal choice so let's not get into the arguments as to why some don't...OK?

At times like this I don't want to carry cash. I use my debit card only so that I don't have to touch money. I wasn't going to take the Flu shot either but hubby had a fit and talked me into it. He had a valid point - I deal with people all day and they don't care if they are sick they come in my office looking for help. I didn't get one last year so I am hoping that with me getting it every other year this shot will be a work better than most since my body is not accustomed getting it every year.

I haven't had the flu for so long that I just stopped taking the shot a long time ago. Nothing for or against it. I suppose it all depends on my state of health around November whether I take it or not? Or a good dose of the flu will probably speed up that thinking process. Since I'm retired and live alone I can stay away from crowds for the most part. I can imagine when I turn 65 I'll start taking it. Who knows.

Sorry you were feeling so punky Sass. For me, nausea is the absolute worst.

As everyone has said, time to make sure your meds are stocked up, you have some of your favorite comfort foods laid away and you have cleaning supplies ready.

And WASH YOUR HANDS!

One can purchase "anti-nausea" meds OTC at just about any pharmacy. I keep some on hand and have needed them occasionally for myself and MrWE2. After the surgery pain meds made me nauseaus. Then MrWE2 had a bout with nausea, and didn't even know why, but they work. Sometimes a simple sinus imbalance (or ears) can cause the nausea. FYI.

My husband gets his flu shots at the office every year the last few years. I never have had one. But this year I decided to get one. So about 3-4 weeks ago I got one at the dr office when i had my check-up and prescriptions refilled and when my husband came home the office had already done theirs so he went to cvs and got his last week. Now waiting on 18 year old son to get his. My daughter, son n law and their 3 babies got theirs this week. Hope my other son and daughter get their families shots soon.

Jeepers is correct. The flu this year has mutated somewhat. The shots, when first doled out were over 80% effective. Now they are down to about 40%. But that is not uncommon. Each year the flu shot is built around what strain the CDC thinks is going to be the most common strain. This year, like in years past, they kind of guessed wrong. It is still very effective against several strains of the flu. The other week our walk in clinic had over 80 cases of flu come thru their doors.. and all of those people did NOT get a flu shot. I have missed my flu shot twice in the past few years, and guess what? Those years I got the flu. Even working in a hospital we are given the choice of whether to get the shot or not. I am a firm believer in getting the shot. But do take extra precautions like others have mentioned. It definitely helps.

We're using our essential oils and new to us this year are using Elderberry syrup. Son & I were feeling under the weather a couple of weeks ago and used the oils and syrup...we didn't get a full blown case of anything. I bought Elderberries to make my own syrup when this bottle is gone. I was surprised at how quickly it worked!

:thumbs: The elderberry products work very well EXCEPT................. blink: in the rare case when the flu virus is like the 1918 type pandemic type. Do not take elderberry products if THAT type of flu is decimating the populations. Look this up to get the scientific details of why the pandemic flu viruses work differently [rather the exact opposite of the normal flu] and the bad affects the normally wonderful elderberry products have in those specific cases.

....note to self: we are low on elderberry products, and a couple other illness-related supplies. We haven't been "microbe sick" in years..... and we NEVER EVER EVER will take the flu shot. Dr. DH does not agree with the science behind the flu shots .......as it relates to long term health-and-wellness. :shrug: It works (sometimes)....but he believes it has a greater risk than he'd like us to take. He believes that a healthy regiment will be more effective and far better for one's body in the long run.

This works VERY WELL for us tho he's exposed to all the germs when sick folks come into his office constantly saying...."Doc, make us feel better!" And I am super-vulnerable due to underlying health challenges. But we've been blessed with only getting colds, flu, or whatever......on an average of about once in mebbe four years or so. :amen:

Anyway....that's why we tend to run out of the Sickness Supplies. Cuz we so rarely need them. When we DO get sick, we NEED them. :fever: We have loads and loads of WELLNESS supplies. Nutritional supplements. Oils. Herbs. Immune system boosters if we feel like a microbe is "knocking on our door". In this house there are two phrases that has us both reaching for certain bottles of product to ward off any "incoming". DH will say....." Hon, I've had a headache." DH NEVER has headaches unless he's on the verge of coming down with some 'bug'. I will say...."Um, I woke up with a bit of a scratchy throat." That is my preliminary symptom for microbe-illness. [i have lots of other non-contagious health challenges associated with M.S. and tremendous sinus issues which we also have to keep up with normally.]

So that's the way it goes in our house. If the flu shots will be less affective.....and as mentioned, that happens rather regularly since they have to anticipate with their best guess for production to start on time.....it does affect us. More sick folks will be coming into DH's office. We'll have to keep up the health-happy regiment more stringently. Everyone's reminders on hand washing, etc is very very effective too! :dishes:

MtRider ....be wary out there this flu season then, friends!

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm wary of the flu shot because I've heard of some people whose health has been ruined by them. I don't know them personally but have 'chatted' with them on the dog site I visit. I really have no personal opinion about them other to say when I think about taking them, I get a nagging feeling that I shouldn't. Right now, I'd rather have the flu for a couple of weeks than some to the long term effects that could happen. :shrug:. Also, anything the government pushes so strongly can't be good. :24:

I've got some big guns anti nausea meds squirreled away. I also have some OTC Dramamine that works pretty well. They have the low drowsy type too but when I'm that sick, I want to sleep through as much of it as I can. The trick is to take it early. I get air sick and take right BEFORE I fly and it works great. After I'm already feeling the nausea...it's too late. I will need "the bag" :hidingsmile:

I tried those Sea Bands on a cruise once. They are like acupressure wrist bands. Did Not Work. I can recommend having Dramamine in your med supplies even if it doesn't work 100% for you. Ugh, nausea is the worse.