MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Soup Beans

Here is a tutorial on dehydrating soup beans. Good for using in 'meal in a jar' type recipes or a quick cook bean meal.

Edted to say:

I can't watch videos on this site I can only hear them but if you click on the heading of the video posted, it will take you to the youtube site and you can watch it there.

Edited by Jeepers

Don't know which is my most favorite...her or Dehydrate2store! LOL Katzcradul is the only one I've ever heard tell us how to keep beans long term so that we can actually EAT them some day. A friend of mine tried to cook some she had set back several years ago and she said she boiled them for 2 days and still couldn't eat them. I have a few bags set back but most of mine are now in cans...pintos, northerns etc...and in a size appropriate for us two.

Cool!!! :D Thanks for the video...

Ambergris, what can you make with the ground beans?

You can use them as flour, or soup/sauce thickeners.

CrabGrass came up with this tip for beans that won't soften - freeze them after you've cooked them and the expansion from the freezing process will help soften them.

I'm going to try dehydrating some beans this weekend. We LOVE chili beans and refried beans. Dehydrated versions, if they turn out well, would be very convenient to have on hand and would save on both freezer and cupboard space.

Don't know which is my most favorite...her or Dehydrate2store! LOL Katzcradul is the only one I've ever heard tell us how to keep beans long term so that we can actually EAT them some day. A friend of mine tried to cook some she had set back several years ago and she said she boiled them for 2 days and still couldn't eat them. I have a few bags set back but most of mine are now in cans...pintos, northerns etc...and in a size appropriate for us two.

What is the secret? Can you post the method or provide a link???

Midnightmom, Katzcradul is the woman who made the how-to video that Jeepers posted above. She rinses/sorts the beans, then an overnight soak, then drains/rinses, then cooks -- I believe in the video she shares that she uses a pressure cooker but noted regular cooking is also fine. Then she dehydrates them.

If I remember correctly she also mentioned the price difference -- 8-10 cents/serving her way verses 80-84 cents/serving buying them freeze-dried. Some significant savings there!

She's got a lot of other interesting YouTube videos as well.

Edited by lumabean

Thanks Luma for providing the info for MidnightMom. Katzcradul is not an alarmist like some are and yet still seems to have a solid head on her shoulder when on subjects of canning and dehydrating etc. When I have questions on dehydrating etc., her and Dehydrate2store are my first 2 places to visit! LOL

Can you cook the beans with dry spices (like Bob's bean seasoning spice, or just dried herbs) to flavor them before dehydrating? I know that you obviously wouldn't want to cook them with a pork hock or ham bone (too much fat) -- but herbs and salt would be safe, right?

Flavoring them won't harm them a bit because you'll be dehydrating them not the fluids they're in etc. If you add onions, you'll want to dehydrate the onions separately (even though they've been cooked) on their own tray, and store them separately. If it were me, I'd label the onions as "seasoned in beans" and label the beans as "seasoned" so you'll know they're not just regular cooked beans. That way when you rehydrate them in cooking, you'll know they have some seasonings alreading in them and not add more...LOL I might also put some dry seasoning mixes in a small mylar pouch and drop them into the container of beans along with my oxygen absorber, when I seal up my beans.

Thank you for posting this. I had actually logged on to ask all you dehydrating maniacs LOL if you have ever done dry beans. I just unpacked another box and it had bags and jugs of dry beans and I was thinking some of them were pretty old and I needed to do something with them. This was the perfect post Thanks.

Turtle, I heard someone (can't remember who...of course) say that it is just fine to season the beans first. She was talking about onion powder and garlic powder etc. in the cooking. Just be sure wherever you use the beans, you would want that flavoring in them. Most of the ones I've seen don't use the seasonings in case they don't want the flavor in a certain dish or if someone in the family doesn't like that seasoning.

Just got me thinking :imoksmiley: about cooking them with a little ham bouillion or smoke flavor added to the first cooking, before dehydrating, for beans and corn bread.

Midnightmom, Katzcradul is the woman who made the how-to video that Jeepers posted above. She rinses/sorts the beans, then an overnight soak, then drains/rinses, then cooks -- I believe in the video she shares that she uses a pressure cooker but noted regular cooking is also fine. Then she dehydrates them.

If I remember correctly she also mentioned the price difference -- 8-10 cents/serving her way verses 80-84 cents/serving buying them freeze-dried. Some significant savings there!

Are you saying that pre-cooking & then dehydrating is the only way to preserve them for LTS w/o them turning to rocks???

Are you saying that pre-cooking & then dehydrating is the only way to preserve them for LTS w/o them turning to rocks???

I think so. The lady who did the video mentioned how light they are, and how well they rehydrate. It seems that pre-cooking is the key to them turning out quick cooking and non-rock-like.

Hers is a way to achieve similar results as the purchased canned quick cook beans out there for long term storage.

If your beans aren't pre-cooked, you'll need to cook them from scratch...which means at least a couple of hours? Do we have that much fuel in reserve in an emergency situation? That's why I store "instant" rice rather than the others...not as nutritious...but lots of oriental's survive on them. Also why I put together tote boxes full of "add water only" biscuit mixes and cornbread mixes etc. I also put together my own little food saver sealed bags of "add water only" mixes for pancakes etc. The less fuel required the better in an emergency, boiling a bit of water & adding it to one's "add water only" mix seems like a good prep to me.

Actually Philbe, I can't find a nutritional difference between instant brown rice and regular brown rice. And since regular brown rice goes rancid within 6 months and takes 40 minutes to cook, lately I've only been buying instant brown rice. White rice only takes 20 mins to cook so I've continued to purchase that since my family doesn't like the texture of instant white - they don't care for brown rice either which is why I hide it in soups and chilis!

I use rice when I make stuffed bell peppers and tonight for supper, I fixed a big batch of oriental style egg rolls and threw in a bag of pre-cooked rice that I had in my freezer. We enjoy rice in lots of different ways, so don't have any problems eating it! LOL I usually fix up a HUGE pot full of rice & then divide it into small, 2 people portions, and let it cool so I can seal it in food saver bags for my freezers. Just a handy way for me to have it quick...when I'm lazy!? LOL So as you can imagine, I have lots of rice...pre-cooked...and minute rice. :feedme:

I just finished dehydrating 5 trays of pinto beans and very pleased with the results. They are great to snack on too, just like nuts. I was a little surprised to see about half of them opened out like popcorn. I don't know if that is normal or due to the age of my original dried beans (at least 7 years old I figure). I plan on more experimenting since I have lots of old dried beans.

For this batch I soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 3 minutes, off the heat for 10 minutes, and then rapid de-pressure. Beans were then put in the dehydrator at 130°F overnight.