MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Monday...son got the job! This has been such a stressful few months, with him separating from wife (lived in AZ) and moving back to home state. Helped him get a house only to get fired by the company he transferred in with. Had to make a BIG U-Turn in our life, re-model the upper apartment at the homestead (Mom lives in lower apt.) so he could have a place rent free for the time being. Then found all the plumbing (which has been sitting for 30 yrs.) was shot and had to spend dollars we couldn't really afford, to get him a toilet, faucets, and shut-offs etc. Now only have to get the hot water side fixed...thank God Mom's downstairs (his grandma) so he's able to shower. BUT...he got the job he had applied for! Hallelujah!!!

Tuesday...hubby's trying to finish two work projects before he hitch up our travel trailer for a much needed "bug out". Watched a video a bit ago, thought some of you might enjoy this as it's dealing with the use of herbs.

Have a wonderful day friends!

We are getting ready to winterize our trailer soon. We have Friday off so I'm really hoping I can talk dh into spending the weekend at the park. We haven't been there nearly enough this past season.

Yeah!!!!! for your son's new employment opportunity and a much deserved break for you Philbe. Have a good time.

Monday...and it's back to the current "life". Had an absolutely wonderful four days. Still don't have the hot water thing in the upper apt. fixed, so son's been showering downstairs in his grandma's apt. We'll get it fixed soon I'm hoping. Old, old, OLD plumbing is yucky! (this apt. hasn't been lived in for 25+ years) Anway, we had beautiful weather and our camping friends joined us. What more can you ask for? Great weather, great friends, great food, and really laid back! Thought I'd share some pics!

Tuesday...well our celebration on sons job was short lived. The owners of the biz had their grandson return to work (after quitting for 2 years!) and they gave him his job back. Guess it's hard times? Anyway...son's back to square one. He's applied for disability (he has ptsd) but don't know if he'll get it or not. He's pretty much knotted up right now, feeling the world is against him. I tried to assure him that God knows further down the line and no use to stew...but...with ptsd everything is a big thing! Soooooo glad we have him in the upper apt. for safe keeping. At least he won't be on the streets. Makes it alot harder on us financially though. Fiddlesticks Lord! Am I allowed to say that? :smiley_shitfan:

Wednesday...another beautiful weather day! Mountain Man is back to work on the screening project, hopefully done today. Can definitely use the $$! My "handwashing dish soap project was almost trashed, until I went ahead and bought a large bottle of my "blue stuff" (LOL) and added 2 tablespoons to my bottle of homemade. Working very good now...I got me some sudsy! Yippee! Should make the "blue stuff" last a whole lot longer. Is this treason? LOL So...I'll revamp my recipe to include 2 tablesoons of the "blue stuff"! Hubby wants to go to a swap meet a few miles from our area. It's one of the largest 4 day events in our state. Everything from chickens to car parts...you name it. Abby loves to go because she gets to meet so many animals, and becomes acclimated to new experiences. I think they call it "socialization"! LOL Going to work tonight on the apartment for son. So sad that his job didn't work out. Very stressful for all of us. He's been diagnosed as having PTSD so I don't know if that will help him get disability or not? He's got to have some sort of income to sustain his life. Us providing a roof over his head and him having food stamp privileges won't pay his utilities, car gas, medications (he's also diabetic) and tv/internet/phone package. That's why we "bug out" (or get the hitch itch) and need to just get away. Wanted to have a yard sale, but that will wait I guess.

Sorry your son is going through a rough patch! No matter how old they get, they are still our 'baby' and the worry never really ends.

I've been through trials and tribulations with mine too but the love, laughter and joy outweighs it all. On most days... :008Laughing:

Thursday...got the hotwater working in son's apartment (upper unit at our homestead) so he can take a good soak! (No shower, overhead ceiling too low!) Went to our other property and let Abby have a bit of a romp in the yard, put a new lid on the toilet, found our drain stripper so we can use it in son's tub to make water drain quicker, dropped off a book at the library, paid water bill for this property, paid insurance on this property, then headed back to current "home" to meet another of Mountain Man's clients to start some work on his 4-plex. I AM SO GLAD GOD HAS BLESSED HIM WITH WORK! He's a retired builder, so now only does home repairs and improvements. Had to greatly reduce his hourly charge but we both talked about it and figured it was better to lower the pay and keep busy than to set around with no work. In his field of work things can be so seasonal! Anyway...stopped at a dutch market on the way home and found the most wonderful white, 2-gallon sized food grade buckets with lids, for 25 cents each!!! Bought 3 dollars worth. Figure they'll be wonderful for storing smaller food items and not have to worry about opening a 5-gallon bucket. I think me's gonna go back and invest in a few more! Rambling again...thinking out loud!Thought I'd post a pic of my Mountain Man! LOL

Friday...just watched a video of a man in Washington that gardens on wood chips! Absolutely fascinating! Told Mountain Man that I'd like to try a patch this spring somewhere near our Square Foot Gardening system. We have a city owned tree limb drop off where they shred everything up and I'm thinking we can buy some cheap or perhaps even free! Rained most of the day, now getting very chilly but not really cold. Just such a quick change from what's been going on in the midwest. Here's the link to the guy in Washington. The buffering isn't the best but...

http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/#movie

Saturday...went to one of our state's largest swap meets and found some really dandy bargains. Found another round (even smaller) graniteware pot w/lid that fit perfectly in my solar oven. Also found some nice citronella soap for $1 a bar ... what a bargain! Wrapped them in plastic wrap and then vacume sealed for storage. I don't get along well at all with mosquitos (they make huge bumps and stay for weeks) so I use the soap alot during summer time. Hubby thought I was kidding/exagerating when I told him I was allergic to mosquito bites...until he saw for himself. I also take some anti-histimine tabs during summer time along with the soap. Helps greatly. Also was able to buy a nice big dog house for Abby (her's is now too small) for only $15! Abby had her first "run in" (literally!) with a billy goat! It was so funny. this swap meet has just about every farm animal and then some, they want to sale. She had never seen a goat so went up, began to sniff it's nose...and BAM! Sent that 65+ pound dog on a roll. She got up, looked at the billy goat as if to say "why'd you do that?" SOOOOO funny! :hapydancsmil:

Sunday...took a nice motorcycle ride, even though it was chilly! Had our gear on so wasn't too bad, but wished we had went ahead and put our jacket liners in! Thought I'd share two of my favorite web sites...maybe some of you visit them regularly as I do?

SeasonedCitizenPrepper.com

survivalblog.com

Got the travel trailer winterized, but we'll probably still do our anual Thanksgiving campout. We just don't use our fresh water tank etc. We just fill up plenty of milk gallon jugs to flush & sailor-wash with and our Berkey for drinking water etc. Everybody have a great day!

Monday...spent most of the day setting up a few things for a few weeks. Found 4 huge chicken breasts last week for $5.25 (for all 4) so I put them in my turbo cooker. We had one for supper and I vacume sealed the other 3 and they're in the freezer for another meal or two. Sliced a bag of oranges and put them in baggies in the freezer for citrus water etc. Sliced onions and they're laid out in bake pan, in the deep freeze until frozen, then I'll vacume seal them into smaller bags for future use. Mixed up a trial batch (1 gallon) of laundry detergent in a mix I saw on this forum. Will give it a try even though I already have 5 gallons mixed up of my regular liquid w/the Fels Naptha. Washed up Abby's bedding. Washed up all dark laundry. Watched Dancing With The Stars (I'm sorry...I love this show!) and am now trying to wind down for the night and let Mountain Man have the pc to read his favorite prepper blogs! Good evening friends!

:offtobed:

I found some more peaches today and will be canning them tomorrow. I also saw some pickling cucumbers that I might go back and get tommorow. I figured both peaches and pickling cukes would be finished by now. The pears are good this year.

I found some more peaches today and will be canning them tomorrow. I also saw some pickling cucumbers that I might go back and get tommorow. I figured both peaches and pickling cukes would be finished by now. The pears are good this year.

Can't hardly ever pass up the opportunity to save money, time and have good stuff to eat!

Tuesday...waiting for hair to dry, then going out to deep freeze to take fresh onion rings out so I can bag them into smaller bags for storage. I'll appreciate having fresh onions when I want them and not having to peel them etc.! LOL As empty nesters, a bag of onions (like potatoes, tomatoes, oranges etc.) always seem to head south on us before we get them used, and buying just two or three is so much more expensive.

Wednesday...really had a "spook" this morning. Anti-virus software wouldn't launch, update or even acces . After much worry (and most of morning doing diagnostics) decided to just un-install the whole thing and re-install. It launch, scanned and now is working like it should...PTL! Can't afford a new PC. Mountain Man is finishing off repairing iron steps for a client. They lead to an upper apartment and they repaired four this spring and now are repairing the last four. MM got a tiny little burn on his cheek while cutting out the old wrought iron part of the step (they're replacing the risers with treated wood) but just a little dot. Aloe made it feel fine. Then he's headed off for another landlord's project to put on a 3rd coat of mud to cure until tomorrow, and then to another client's project to hang mini-blinds, ceiling fans, repair roof leak, and a few other things landlord's enjoy having him do. PTL for the consistent work! Trying to get back on our "semi-retirement" schedule of working Mon-Thurs. and then working on our 2nd house on Fri & Sat. so we can move into it and get this antique we're living in sold! LOL Not doing any prepping today. Need to get caught up on some "wifey" things!

:dusting::dishes:

Thursday...woke up to what started as a wonderful day...then desktop pc crashed. PC gal just left and needs to create a re-boot disk. Too many pc's are sold without them. NEVER again! If we have to buy another pc, it will have an install disk or we're not buying it! Operating on my travel notebook for the time being. Sooo tiny and soooo slow. Better than nothing though. Tomorrow's another day. :pc_coffee: