MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning 101 (repost)

05/25/04

I bought the newest Ball “Blue Book” recently and compared it to my “old” one, from 1994. I was glad to see no big changes in recommended techniques and processes. But if your “Blue Book” is older than that, please consider buying a new one, or look up current processing times on the internet, or ask here for the information. Most states have an “Cooperative Extension Office” for this kind of information. The “Blue Book” is generally under $8.00.

I’m giving you the “short lesson” on canning, but when you set out to do it, have a current book on canning, like the Ball Blue Book, handy. Don’t risk your family’s health on a preventable mistake.

Canning foods interrupts the normal spoiling process of foods. Using the two-piece vacuum sealing caps, heat destroys microorganisms and at the same time drives out air. When the jar cools, the lid seals onto the jar and prevents microorganisms from entering and contaminating the food. A perfect seal is required for this, so never reuse lids, only the screw bands which hold the lids until sealing.

The method of canning is determined by the amount of acid in the foods. Water bath canning may be used for “high acid” foods including most fruits, pickles, and tomatoes (if properly prepared with added acid). Pressure canning must be used for “low acid” foods, which include vegetables and meats, and combinations which may contain a mixture of low & high acid foods (soups, for example).

THE CANNER:

You may use a pressure canner for water-bath canning (by not using the pressure features), but you can not make a pressure canner out of a water bath canner.

A water bath canner needs to have a rack to hold the jars off the bottom of the canner, plus have one to two inches of water *over* the tops of the lids. The water needs to completely surround the jars, and the boiling water remains at 212 degrees F (heavy boil) for the entire time recommended for that food & jar size. Keep the lid on while canning to keep everything hot & boiling. The same times apply whether you have one jar inside or a full canner.

So you *could* use a regular large pan with a lid and a small rack inside, if you are careful and do it according to directions.

There are two kinds of pressure canners - one has a dial gauge which should be tested every year (Blue Book recommendation). You get the pressure up to the needed pressure, close a vent, regulate the temperature, and then keep an eye on the gauge to be sure it stays in the safe range until the canning process is finished. Dial gauges may be checked by your local County Extension Office.

The other type is a weighted gauge canner which uses a weight to regulate the pressure. I have one with three different settings on the weight. You get the water hot enough to emit steam for 10 minutes, then place the weight on. The weight “jiggles” to allow a bit of the pressure out, regulated by the temperature of the stove. You have to learn to time the “jiggles” of the weight, several per minute, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the weight is damaged you must replace it, but otherwise it’s good for years.

With both canners you need to keep the rubber gasket in good condition, or replace it. Before canning, make sure the vent is cleared by drawing a string through it (a plugged vent will cause your canner to blow up!) and make sure the safety valve is good.

If you live at higher altitudes, you must adjust your canning accordingly. Ask your County Extension Office for specific instructions.

Follow the directions for your own canner. Many times you can look on the internet and find the manufacturer’s website and find downloadable information about using your canner. Or ask… chances are someone here has a canner like yours.

Cat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/28/04

Thanks Cat! I am going to try to use my pressure canner this summer for the first time. I bought all the supplies in 99, but my old stove turned out not to be safe for canning since it was a smooth top range. Here I have an "old fashioned" electric stove so I can finally learn to can!

Becca Anne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/31/04

please tell me after me reading this post that i can... can... i have a brand new smooth surface stove and finally have all the stuff to can... if i cant can i am in deep trouble as i am on SSI and cant afford to get a new stove just to get a grill one to can. the one i have came with the house. oh gosh... in total panick... and living off of 139.00 in food stamps for two ppl a month and need to learn to can fast. hugs teri aka little pixey

little pixey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/31/04

Oh, my, I'm not sure I can tell you it's ok.

Find the name and manufacturer of your stove and check online for a website. Or call a number in the instruction booklet. You'll have to ask *them*.

I've heard that some have worked, but *especially if it's not yours*, you shouldn't take the chance on breaking it & having to replace it.

Do you have a friend you could work with for both of you to can, using her stove? Or a church with a kitchen who would let you use theirs?

Cat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/01/04

seems it is a toss up! I would contact the manufacture of your stove and ask them, just to be sure.

Here is some responses I found..

http://www.weblife.org/forum/messages/14/113.html

http://www.wireboard.com/~jleitess/country...f1eb73cf13e.htm

this link says no because their waterbath canner doesn't hae a flat bottom...hummmm if your pressure canner is a flat bottom??? why not?

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?product=fp0175

westbrook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/04/04

My stove is a ceramic flat top and I have used it successfully. I think the issue is if the canner you're using is flat on the bottom or if it has a curvature. With these types of stoves, it must be flat. The canner won't get hot enough if it's a curvature. I have a waterbath and a pressure canner. The house we're renting has a regular stove so I won't have to worry about that this summer. ( I sure miss MY stove!)

mommafitz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/21/04

I too, have the ceramic flat top stove, my pressure canner works fine on it. No problems at all.

unikemom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/21/04

Littlepixie, if you decide that you can't use the stove, a possible solution: Check on line with Harbor Freight, they have small one and two burner gas hot plates at a fairly low price (under$30 I think) this could be a soultion for your problem.

Any way the best of luck, we've found canning can be a real help.

Oldpine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/22/04

I think my manual for the stove said something about the heat not being constant enough since it cycles on and off. However the odds are each stove is different. A hot plate would definately be a good alternative!

Becca Anne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07/31/04

I know my sister has a flat top stove and she has canned a LOT of things on it. Maybe it depends on what kind of stove it is.

Ok, now I have a question for all of you out there.

Have any of you canned anything in 2 quart jars??? I bought a doz. of them and want to can meat in some of them, but the 'Ball' book does NOT say anything about canning in 2 quarts. I've looked and looked.

My canner is a large one, I can can 19 pints in it, double layered. So putting in a few of the 2 quart jars would be no problem, it is just how long do I pressure them. I don't think I would need to pressure them for 2 hours. That would be a LONG TIME.

Any way, any one have any ideas at all?????

Snowmom

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07/31/04

I would be afraid to try canning meat in that size jar Snowmom. Maybe you could can tomatoes in them or use them as canisters on your kitchen counter...or in a cabinet for storage of grits, flour, even spaghetti, macaroni or some colorful item. Wouldn't that be pretty? This doesn't answer your canning question though, does it? I looked everywhere and didn't find anything about canning in 1/2 gallon jars. I believe that Ball Blue Book would have some recipes if they considered it safe to can in this size jars....

~just my thoughts

SCMary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07/31/04

The kind of things you can can in a 2 qt or 1/2 gallon jar is fruit juices.

Here is the problem, due to the size of the jar, it is felt that canning anything with density will not get hot enough in the center to destroy bacteria.

I have a couple boxes of 1/2 gallon jars that I love and use for goat milk as I prefer my milk stored in glass.

Great size for pickles.

westbrook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07/31/04

Exactly right, Westbrook!

I imagine the "Blue Book" assumes most people don't have access to the half-gallon jars anymore, so they stopped including info on them.

Wish I lived closer to you, Snow; I'd love to have those jars for dry storage!!!

Cat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

07/31/04

While operating a convenience store we used to sell dill pickles, pigs feet, hot sausages, pickled eggs and other things that were sealed in glass gallon jars... so, naturally, I brought a lot of them home. I use them to store flour, rice, grits, corn meal, sugar, etc. in and I have really been pleased with them. After putting this 'stuff' in a jar, adding a couple of Bay leaves, putting lid on after I've made a small hole in the center, put a tab on, I take my trusty "Pump N Seal" and pump the air out and the little tab seals it until I need something from that jar. This has worked really well for me but my children think I'm crazy!!!

SCMary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

09/06/04

My husband sells appliances. He said that you can't can on a flat-topped stove because they weren't designed to take that kind of high heat for the extended period of time that canning requires. They shatter. I wouldn't risk it, as it could be dangerous, and not to mention you'd have to replace your stove. Now maybe there are some brands that say different, I don't know.

philomena

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 7 months later...

I know you can not use the All American on flat tops, because they are too heavy. I not sure about Presto brand. I was reading up on the All American and it had in BIG RED letters NOT FOR USE ON CERAMIC OR FLAT top stoves that the weight would cause the top of the stove to crack.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Question??? When storing your filled/canned canning jars - can you stack them and if so, how high? Should I lay a sheet of cardboard over the first layer before adding the next layer of jars? I want to make sure I don't hurt the seals by too much standing weight pressure of the next layer. Thanks

Thank you Dee! I see where Darlene leaves on the rings. I haven't been, but may - so I can stack my jars (feel like it will give the lids more protection).

MomM, everyone has personal preferences for leaving on/off rings, but that's the reason I leave mine on...common sense just dictates that it's an extra layer of protection on the main seal.

Back when I used to can, I left the rings on so they wouldn't be as likely to get lost or bent...

• 1 year later...

Ok, got the canner, got the weighted gauge, which has two weight rings so I take one off right, for 10lbs pressure at 600 feet elevation? THEN, do I just set it on top of the little thingy and then it rocks. It does not seem that you screw it on in place of that little piece for the regulator on a Presto Canner 16qt.

I am ready to start canning the chicken breasts today and need to get them done!

Also, should I do hot pack with the chicken cooked?

Amazon still has not shipped my new Ball Blue Book, so I had to ask these questions, to anyone that can help! I want to get this going asap today, please. I have 35 lbs to process!

Also , just soak pinto beans and process after soaking ? I have a canning book that will give me times for the processing, but wasnt sure about chicken these days and what folks who have been canning it, might make it more tender and palatable ( cold pack or hot pack, which one works best?Also want to be sure it is cooked through ..... :blush:

Edited by arby

Everything I read warning you to take the rings off said it was to prevent rust.

If I wash and dry the rings I'm assuming it would be safe to put them back on. Who wouldn't want to wash them anyway? They can sometimes get covered with oils from the food. Yuck!

I think I will start doing this. It does seem that it would take some of the pressure off the seals when you stack.

Homemaker @ Feb 11 2009, 09:00 AM

Everything I read warning you to take the rings off said it was to prevent rust.

If I wash and dry the rings I'm assuming it would be safe to put them back on.

Take the rings off and leave them off. There is no purpose for them once the flats have sealed properly.

Clean and dry the rings and put them away until your next canning job. After awhile you may accumulate a lot of rings. The only time I have a need for rings, except during canning, is when I give jars away. I put a ring back on (loosely) so they can have a sealed lid when the jar is opened. At home I use the Ball plastic lids when a jar is opened.

I actually think having the rings on could potentially cause pressure on the flats and cause them to fail. If jars are to be stacked I use a spacer of cardboard that spreads the weight over all the jars. This is just my personal recommendation from experience. I'm quite sure that if the rings were kept loose, away from the flats, the possibly of problems would be minimal so I guess it becomes a personal decision.