MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Split Pea Soup with Ham - Pressure Canned

Any time your canner starts "spewing" under pressure, turn off the heat and get the heck out of the kitchen. Canner should never go dry if its working right and you followed instructions. Dry canner = BOOM!!!!!! Be careful.

I like to use my older dried beans for canning. The ones you can cook all day and they are still hard. After canning they are no longer hard but they don't turn to mush either. Its a way of rotating old stock.

Originally Posted By: anna

I like to use my older dried beans for canning. The ones you can cook all day and they are still hard. After canning they are no longer hard but they don't turn to mush either. Its a way of rotating old stock.

Now that is something I didn't know...I sure do have alot of older beans. I will definitely do this with them. Thanks for the tip!
  • 3 weeks later...

This is so weird. I just made pea soup a week and a half ago. Didn't see this thread until now.

Didn't can any, though.

My soup is different, probably thicker. More mushy. Heheheheh. I use more peas, I cube the ham smaller, and I grate my carrots. No potatoes. AND I cook the soup before canning it, so it's thick, thick, thick. (We like the mushy kind, lol.)

Pea soup is a family favourite around here. smile

We like, love bean soup, yumyum but not pea soup. To me that is nasty. frown

We are going to see about canning some bean soup one of these days too, but we will probably cook the beans a little bit first.

Yes, but cooked till it's MUSH. That's what makes mine better than yours neener

• 1 year later...

Ok, I'm trying my hand at this now.

I don't like taters in my pea soup so I'm going to leave them out; is that ok Darlene? It won't effect the recipe timing or anything right?

Also, just to be sure, I don't have to add vinegar to this right?

You don't hafta add potatoes, and the processing time will stay the same.

I'll look on my computer for the finished photos. I did take them but I must of not ever got them up. If I can't find them, I'll take a picture of one of the jars I have just so you can see.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Darlene! You have to remember that no student is greater than his teacher and in this situation....it is you whom has taught me smile

I figure, if I follow the recipe you've given and it ends up looking like yours....it's got to be right. LOL.

Your stuff is pretty impressive indeed.

Thank you so much!

~Tammy

• 4 months later...