MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Applesauce - Water Bath Canned

I just got done doing a bushel of apples and making applesauce and applebutter. I went ahead and took pictures of the process, to give everyone an idea of how I make my homemade applesauce and home can it.

For this batch, I used Rome and Mutsu apples...I think a combination of apples makes a better overall applesauce (just personal preference). The next batch I make, I'm going to use Jonagold and Mutsu apples.

Anyway, I quarter the apples into my 20qt stockpot and added 2 quarts of water:

PUSH34ce6c87bd21.jpg

I pour the applesauce back into a pot and bring to a boil. I don't add any added sugar or cinnamon...I like mine natural. The apples are actually sweet enough without additional sugar (at least to me):

PUSHb70bed5c1338.jpg

Yes to both.

It makes sense that the majority of nutrition is in the peels, so that would leak into the sauce.

I know I think wierd sometimes, but eating a peeled apple vs eating the skin are slightly different tastes. To me, combining the whole apple into the cooking process gives a more accurate balance of the apple as a whole...nutritionally and tastewise.

Originally Posted By: MomM
I feel really dumb, but how do I find the pictures?

Im no computer geek but you can try this. It may help you view pictures...
:jumping2:

1.) If you click on tools...Located on the top left side of your screen (3" over and 2" from the top) next to your favorites.

2. Scoll down to Internet options..
Click on Internet options.

3. Click on the tab that say Advanced...(7th tab to your right)

4. See the different subjects. Ex: (Accessibility, Browing) Find Multimedia...An easy way to find this is to take your scoll bar and bring it half way down...See it. Multimedia

4a. Put a check mark in all the catagories under Multimedia.
There should be about 7 check marks. Your almost done.

5. At the very bottom right hand side of that box click Apply

6. To the left of Apply is OK.. Click OK

7. In order for the new setting to kick in, your going to have to Refresh your screen. Click View Scoll down to refresh. Click refresh...

OR >>>>>>>>Just go out of this site and back into it again... clapsmilie

I hope this helps... praying

Now I know this sounds confusing but you can do this...

If you need addition help or have any questions PM me.
bounce

Darlene:

I love the way you did your apple sauce...I knew I was doing it the hard way>>> rofl

I would like to post some pictures of before and after applesauce. I know how to use a digital camera and have had success with photobucket...

How do you post the pictures without a hyperlink...

I want the picture to just should up like yours did..

Is it ok to post pictures here? :spider:

I used this site to resize my images into smaller files:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/resize.php

Once it did that, below the picture I resized, it says "Host This Image at www.4freeimagehost.com (opens in a new window)". I clicked on that, then copied the url it gave me and posted it here.

When I say cooked down, I mean that the apples have broken down, are getting mushy, fallen apart, etc. The water that I add at the beginning, and the excess water from the apples is evaporated, and it's more just a little juice type that is left. The apples are fully cooked and are easily put through a strainer of sorts, to be turned into applesauce.

Does that help?

This is with 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, Nutmeg and apples.

Oh my God is this good. You can't buy this in any store that I know of.

PUSHf3f4c8efa85e.jpg[/url][/img]

As I was learning i was increasing the batch sizes...My first of regular apple sauce was 5 pints...Then 7 pints Then 10 Pints and my last was 14 pints.