MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Storage Recipes

I'm trying to keep our food storage rotated but it's not always easy to keep things rotated and keep my family happy! Last night I improvised a food storage turkey pot pie. It turned out pretty good and I was able to throw it together in about 20 minutes.

Food Storage Turkey Pot Pie

Crust:
Combine
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 Tablespoons shortening or margarine (I only used 2)
1 cup sour cream or yogurt (increase flour by 2 T if using yogurt) (I used reconstituted powdered sour cream)
2 egg, beaten (I used dehydrated & reconstituted)

Stir together. May be slightly lumpy. Spread thinly with back of spoon on bottom and sides of shallow greased 12'x9' casserole dish. Reserve a bit to put "dollops" on top. (Crust may be stirred together in advance. Refrigerate until ready to use) Also, don't worry about the crust sliding down the sides of the pan, when you put the filling in, it forces the "crust" back up the sides of the pan! (This crust recipe is from the More with Less Cookbook - I simply doubled it and used food storage items for the dairy)

Filling:

1/2 cup butter, shortening, lard

1 cup reconstituted, well-drained onion or fresh chopped onion

3/4 cup flour

salt & pepper to taste

2 cups milk (I used powdered milk)

broth from 1 quart of turkey canned in broth (maybe 1 1/2 - 2 cups? proportions don't need to be exact)

turkey from quart, diced

2 cans of mixed vegetables, rinsed and drained (and a significant portion of the gross carrots picked out and composted!)

Any other leftovers - I used an additional cup of leftover peas from the fridge.

Dash of tobasco

Melt butter on low in large saucepan. Stir in onion and cook until opaque. Stir in flour and salt & pepper. Stir constantly until mixture is blended and pasty. Add broth from canned turkey, raise heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Mixture should be quite thick. Remove from heat, stir in milk, place back on burner and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add additional salt if needed and the tobasco to taste. Stir in turkey and vegetables. Pour into casserole slowly so the crust will creep back up the sides of the pan. By teaspoon, drop dollops of leftover crust mix haphazardly over the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until crust is a golden brown and pie filling is hot and bubbly.

Edited by Andrea

How to make Bulghur

Cracked dried cooked wheat, or bulghur, rehydrates and cooks quickly when added to casseroles.

Ingredients:

2 cups slow-cooked wheat

Prepare cooked wheat. Preheat oven to 150F. Spread wheat in a 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake 2 hours or longer with oven door ajar until wheat is dried. Process dried cooked wheat in a blender or food processor until wheat is cracked. When added to casseroles or dishes having excess moisture, 1/2 cup bulghur will absorb 1/2 cup liquid. Bulghur can also be boiled 5 to 10 minutes with an equal amount of water. Bulghur doubles in volume when rehydrated with an equal amount of water. Makes about 1 cup.

(My note - I don't see why you couldn't use a dehydrator instead of the oven)

from Cooking with Stored Foods

Hamburger and Wheat Casserole

1 lb. lean ground beef

1/2 cup hot water

2 tablespoons dried chopped onion

1 tablespoon dried chopped green peppers

2 tablespoons dried chopped mixed vegetables

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 to 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

3/4 cup bulghur

2 cups boiling water

1 cup tomato juice

1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

In a large skillet, lightly brown ground beef*. Add 1/2 cup hot water, onion, peppers, vegetable flakes, salt, cumin, marjoram, black pepper, and poultry seasoning. Simmer over medium heat 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 325F. In a 3-quart casserole, combine meat mixture, bulghur, 2 cups boiling water, tomato juice, and tomato sauce. Bake uncovered about 1- 1 1/2 hours until bulghur is tender. If casserole has absorbed most of liquid after 1 hour, cover for final 30 minutes. Makes about 6 servings.

from Cooking with Stored Foods

* I've made something similar using a pint of seasoned ground beef or turkey from the Ball Recipe Book. I've also done something similar using black beans instead of the beef or adding it to the beef. I usually ditch the poultry seasoning, add a lot more cumin and some chili powder, and instead of tomato juice and sauce, I'll use two pints of home-canned salsa. If I made my own bulghur and used my home canned foods, this would be an ultimate stored foods recipe.

(Sorry for the double post - it's also in the wheat thread. I occasionally use a modified version of this recipe and I'd like to be able to locate it easily)

• 2 years later...

i use cooked whole wheat kernels (cooked just until soft, not popped open, for a bit of chewiness) and add it to a "texas caviar" recipe for extra fiber. verrrry satisfying. I call it

TEXAS TABOULI

1 chopped bell or sweet pepper, any color

1 can (or 2 c cooked, leftover) blackeye peas

1 can (or 2 c cooked, leftover) black beans

1 can (or 2 c cooked, leftover) whole kernel corn

2 c cooked wheat berries

1 c diced onion - I use chopped green onions, all except roots,for color)

2-8 slices pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped (depends on how spicy you like)

2 cups of bottled Italian dressing, or homemade oil & vinegar dressing of you choice

Mix and chill at least 2 hr to blend flavor,

I leave it in the fridge as lunch (bean & grain protein combination) or salad for about a week. I use whatever beans & veggies on hand to keep the grain-bean thing going, so it is very flexible

• Like 1