MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Oh my Homesteader, be sure to take it easy for awhile! What ever needs done will still be there when you're back to 100%. When son got a head injury we had to wake him up every hour to be sure he wasn't going to drift into a coma or have a stroke or seizure. We also had to check his pupils. Very scary stuff.

He was dunking a basketball in our driveway and the metal hoop came straight down on top of his head. He was in high school and he still has the semicircle imprint on top of his head, where the net hooks onto the rim. Fortunately his hair hides it. It could have killed him.

Yes, concussions are cumulative. That's what all the issues over football is about now...finally. So many of them are suffering from early dementia, Parkinson like symptoms, anger issues, slurred speech and balance problems just to name a few of the symptoms from their head injuries. Same for boxers.

LOL! "Henopause". Priceless!!!

Fried and Fricasseed have entered that phase. Curry seems to be nearing that stage. We've decided Fried will be pressure cooked because she is at least 4-5 years old and very slender. She hasn't laid an egg in a year. Fricasseed is going on 6 months. I see chicken stock soon.

Today has been a restful day. Planning my week, so much I'd like to get done.

When I opened the coop, the 'new' girls ran up to their nesting box. They really don't want to deal with Dijon. She is my "alpha" and has already shown her status. :)

DH made nachos: tortilla chips, refried beans (home made-smashed beans w/a tbs of mex. tomato bullion), cheese, topped with jalapeños and baked until the cheese melts. I smashed up an avacado to dip the excess chips in. Nomnomnom.

:D

Henopause!!!! Very apt! How do you tell if an individual hen lays eggs? Do chickens lay only in certain boxes with their cute names above them? :scratchhead:

I think our ducks are done molting feathers. Better be cuz we've been down to 10 degrees multiple times at nite. Yet our "year-'round" egg layers are producing zero to 3 eggs for 8 females. And they lay alllll over everywhere. They are not consistent. I'd have to sort them out every night [first I'd have to paint numbers on their backs except 'Barbie Doll' with her pom pom head]. Lock each one in separate cage? Ugh!

Tho pressure canned duck meat/juice does sound good. They're not that old tho. .......and I may have mentioned how much I HATE raising baby waterfowl!!! (sic)

So I'm fairly flattened today. :0327: But I did get down to ride today. Actually....I tricked myself. Completely forgot about the time change. Kept thinking it was time to go feed. But it was only 4pm. :shakinghead: Oh well, I thot. Since I'm ready to go now, I can ride with the extra time I have. ..... :grinning-smiley-044: 'Course I came up in the DARK cuz there really wasn't any extra time. That's ok. As long as I have a big dog, a hunk of metal, and a vehicle to climb the driveway....dark is ok. Took me till I came inside and looked at that clock again to figure out what happened tho.

Not one of my more brilliant days.... :happy0203:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Saturday was a "celebration" day...something special in our lives. Ate dinner out and then went dancing for a few hours. Today we pulled up our belt loops and "finally" got the old frig moved out of the upstairs apartment. We had to take the doors off and Mr used his furniture dolly to haul it down those narrow steps. I stayed out of the way ... according to his instructions. Parked it on the back covered patio with the doors off. It still runs be we have other uses for it. We've thought about turning it on it's back, drilling some drain holes and filling it with gardening soil etc. for a raised bed that we can put a glass cover on it for a cold frame. Or...perhaps placing glass doors on the front and using it as a mini green house. Or...putting it in the garage, plugging it in and using it as a freezer. Or....storing seeds or feed in (when we get chickins and rabbits). And last...if we suddenly needed another temporary refrigerator, we could use it. It's not energy efficient and the seals all need to be replaced, but it would do as an emergency frig. We have an small chest freezer that someone gave us but it's been sitting outside for many years. It ran when they gave it to us but probably doesn't now. It could also be made useful :-) Moved several more shelves into the new "upstairs library" :-) We now have six more bookcases to put there. Yes, we love our books and magazines :-) It's nice to have our Kindle readers but there may come a day when one would need a paper book and sometimes we just like to hold a real book and turn a real page and put in a real page marker! :24: Moved all the stored bathroom cabinets out of the storage room at the homestead house and they're ready for the bathroom remodel when it begins. We can live in the homestead house "as is" except we want the bathroom redone...it's the pits. Guess we'll forgo sanding and refinishing the wood floors for the time being. Will just get a carpet remnant to lay down in the center of the livingroom and call it done for awhile. The rest of the wood floors will do for awhile...give them a good scrubbing. Picked some more tomatoes and bell peppers and kale from the garden :-) This indian-symmer like weather keeps stuff growing. We've even got more okra pods and blooms! :cele:

WE2, I'm confused about the Roost and the Homestead and your current house. They are three different places, right? Are you planning to move to the Homestead or the Roost?

Homesteader, wow! I hope you are doing better. You too, Mt Rider and anyone else who was feeling low.

We're still having pretty nice days but colder nights, down to 21. Still trying to get the root crops in and picking greens. DS started digging a big hole to put turnips, etc. in for the winter.

I guess you all heard about the threats to NY, TX and VA for today, the day before the election? I haven't seen it mentioned on the Forum.

Lol, Mt_Rider, I collecte the eggs any time I am outside. I learned to associate each egg with the hen in the box at the time. Fried's were large with a grainy shell, Fricasseed's are/were elongated like a bullet. Curry's are smaller and slightly elongated. When Salad and Dijon began laying, theirs were small and round, one slightly lighter than the other. I found out Salad was laying the lighter one. Each hen has a distinct difference so I can tell them apart. Dijon has dark brown spots on the front of her legs, Casserole's comb is flattened on one side, etc. :D

:cheer: Sass! Glad your STUFF will be reunited with you!!! How ya doing with your new neighborhood and such?

Hmmm, I can't do that with the ducks, Annarchy. There's very little difference between the ladies and they lay almost exclusively during the night. So I COULD make them go in separate cages for bedtime.....until it gets cold and they need to huddle together. :frozen:

Ack....got to sleep late again. 4am. Not feeling quite right and drank some 7up to settle.... <_< ...then got up X2 to go to bathroom. THEN phone rang at 9am. :blink:

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hello {name not mine but similar}. This is B."

"Um....B who?"

"Is this {name not mine but similar + last name IS mine}?"

:scratchhead: ....uh, that's my MIL' s name but she lives on East coast in Senior Housing...

"{name not mine but similar} did you just wake up? This is B down the hall from you!"

"I'm {my first and last name} ....her DIL in Colorado"

{pause}

"Oh....I got the wrong number."

"Well tell MIL 'hi' from me."

:laughkick: ....HOW did the woman dial 1 + area code without realizing she was dialing long distance? ....senior housing. Obviously MIL has given B our number to call if something happens to her. That's good. But trying to figure out what was happening with an almost-name-match when I've had 5 hours of sleep..... :imoksmiley:

MtRider ....I see a nap in my future.

Edited by Mt_Rider

A beautiful day here toady...today. The high was 72. We still have lots of pretty leaves on the trees. I got the yard, front and back, mowed. Tomorrow I'll throw down some weed and fertilizer if I can get to it before it rains. It isn't supposed to until late afternoon. I should spray some weeds while I'm at it. I ran over a tree root again with the mower. A different one than the last time. I'm going to charge up my drill and drill some holes in them and scatter down some root killer. I wonder if it will kill the tree though? I should probably think about that first. :scratchhead:

I picked up a couple of things at K-Mart. I got another throw that feel like powder. The throw I usually use is shedding badly. They didn't have the cheaper LED light bulbs so I need to take a trip to Wal-Mart. I need a couple of other things too.

Edited to change a word. It's 'today' not 'toady'. :008Laughing:

Edited by Jeepers

Household goods delivered. :sigh::scratchhead::faint3: Drains after snaking inside and out not doing well yet.... muric acid dumped in sewer line. Evidently house was not occupied for 3 years... ugh. Tree roots.

I am thinking outside line will have to be dug up and replaced, city has checked yard for stuff to watch for while digging. I think. I saw the truck but movers were bringing stuff in and its raining too ( hurrah. its been too dry) .... water heater is paid for but Plumber hasnt had time to put it in yet but the boiler for heat does work !

Gas company man has to come back with new part for oven... la la la la....... movers were here.... in the way.... going through kitchen....

I sure hope my .22 cal nitron piston or whateveh ya call that mechanism type of rifle is in one of my tall boxes and my archery gear....... twits left the back pack out soaking in rain.... need to go empty it out so it all can dry..... ugh..... bout it...... going to listen to election news.......... which I really wonder how it will turn out and what happens as a result!

Edited by sassenach

WE2, I'm confused about the Roost and the Homestead and your current house. They are three different places, right? Are you planning to move to the Homestead or the Roost?

Homesteader, wow! I hope you are doing better. You too, Mt Rider and anyone else who was feeling low.

We're still having pretty nice days but colder nights, down to 21. Still trying to get the root crops in and picking greens. DS started digging a big hole to put turnips, etc. in for the winter.

I guess you all heard about the threats to NY, TX and VA for today, the day before the election? I haven't seen it mentioned on the Forum.

Moving to the Homestead, selling the Roost and this place :-)

Rainy and cloudy here so strung my clothesline under the carport and hung clothes there to dry. They're still there and I'll leave them overnight. Love saving those dollars by not using the electric clothes dryer :-) Packed Miss B for bugging out and relocated her...just in case we need to leave here. If we do have to leave here for a few days we'll be fine. Just not sure what the next week or so will hold with all the chaos. Looking forward to a nice sleep tonight...my body feels the work of packing and carrying everything out to Miss B and loading it in. But...it was done when Mr came home from job site so all he needed to do was load the generator and a couple of our rolling water jugs. I put bleach in them and some water so we'll clean them out tomorrow "someplace" and refill them with potable water.

Thanks WE2!

Sass, You sound very busy! I hope you get everything settled soon.

Jeepers, I think it would kill the tree or make it very ill. :)

Yesterday, DS and I dug two more rows of potatoes. He worked in the lab until lunchtime. That's about how long it takes for the dew to dry off here. He also dug the holes to bury the radishes, turnips, etc. So today, I hope we can get that done. We have 3 1/2 more potato rows too. I picked greens, got them washed and ready to chop and cook. I think DD is going to do that today. I need to pick more today.

It's supposed to be much colder by the weekend. Our monthly grocery/town trip is scheduled for tomorrow; there is a 40% chance of rain. We need rain but I hope we can get all the root crops in before it rains very much. A local state of emergency in the next county over and a burn ban until we get significant rain. Wildfires in east Tennessee too.

:pray: for Homesteader

I'm making chicken stock so the house smells wonderful, although the pan looks like it's full of trash--chicken carcass and stuff....older celery, celery tops, onion skins, onion tops, older onions, ends off of carrots. I keep a gallon bag in the freezer for those "scraps" and dump them all in the pan whenever I make stock. Once it's strained, I'm making soup. :yum3:

We haven't had much cold weather yet. I'm looking forward to using the oven more and getting some cast iron pans seasoned.

I recently read "My Side of the Mountain". I'm wondering if I had read that when I was younger, would I have wanted to live like that. Not so much now, but very interesting. If the info in it is accurate, then there's alot of information there. Now I'm reading "Swiss Family Robinson". My take away from both books is how knowledgeable the characters were about identifying the plants, trees and animals around them and knowing how to put those resources to good use.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

I recently read "My Side of the Mountain". I'm wondering if I had read that when I was younger, would I have wanted to live like that.

I did and I DID!!!!!! DEFINITELY! ......still do, in a modified way. {old age, y'know}

MtRider .....part of my very early interest in wildcrafting, etc. :reading:

Daylily, I mentioned about the high alert in those three states and provided a link but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Also, I think I'll skip applying the root killer on the one root that is still attached to the tree. It's a nice blue spruce. Nice tree but sort of stuck out by its self and too close to the neighbors to really enjoy. I still wouldn't want to kill it. I do have a lot of other roots left over from hedge removal that I can drill though.

It started raining around noon so I didn't get much done today. I went and voted though. Hope the rain doesn't keep people away from the polls. We always get a sticker when we vote but this time if we take it to Krispy Kreme we get a free donut. Woo-hooo. I did.

Went back to Wal-Mart and got my LED light bulbs. I found 2 little hoodies to send to baby and a snow suit. I never thought I'd say it but that store is going to be too big. If you forget something at one end and have to go back again, it's killer on us older folks. Plus they are still arranging it so nothing is where you think it should be. I did see something I'd never seen before though. They were moving an entire block of shelving. I'm not sure what it's called. Not an aisle but the long row of shelves. And they were still loaded with goods. Someone is easily entertained. :hi:

Helped my friend at the dairy making cheesecakes today. That's almost like work! At least my feet legs, and hips think so! I made mango ice cream with cut up fresh frozen mangoes and a can of sweetened condensed milk in the blender! So good!

Rained most of the night but quit about 9 am. Voted at noon. Got there just in time to not have to stand in line :-) By the time we were finished there was a line forming and people pulling into the parking lot.

DS, Mom and I are taking our monthly town trip today. Lots of stops and errands but we have to be home by 2 pm so DS can deliver the partial he repaired yesterday. We have a 40% chance of rain this afternoon but if it doesn't, I hope to pick more greens. I put 9 quarts int he dehydrator and DD cooked another pot full.

DH and DS had to work on the truck last night. Something about the U-joint. DH thought it was the front one but it wasn't so he didn't have the right parts. Somehow they fixed it anyway but got in bed late.

Cecilia, I still couldn't do it, no matter how small.

Jeepers, I guess I missed your post. I miss a lot of posts this time of year. :)

Edited by Daylily

Good Morning, we have no water this morning. I have to postpone doing anything that requires water, until the city fixes it. I am very grateful we have a good stock of bottled water.

DH wants to go look at a dresser today. If he gets it IDK how/where it will fit in our little house. Supposedly, it is marbled maple wood, (burled?)

Time to get some work done.

Hoping everyone has a blessed day.