MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So much confusing info on canning out there. I get it about Google, Amazon books and Youtube. Just people like you and me trying to share. Dare I say also making a buck or two. Take their info for what it is and decide for yourself.

What gets me confused is on the professional sites. Ball says to never use eggs. Even to the point of saying not to use one or two in your meatballs if you are going to can them. Then I just read on the National Center For Home Food Preservation that you can can Lemon Curd. Their recipe calls for, among other things, “3/4 cup of butter, 7 Large egg yolks and 4 Large whole eggs”. And it only yields 3 to 4 HALF pints. And then WATER BATH for only 15 minutes.

I’m not planning to can Lemon Curd. Wouldn’t know what to do with it if I did. But that recipe took me aback.

I don’t know. Kind of hard to know which herd to follow. :sheeple:

Or maybe I’m just dense.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/lemon_curd.html

Shelf Life: For best quality, store in a cool, dark place (away from light). Plan to use canned lemon curd within 3 to 4 months. Browning and/or separation may occur with longer storage; discard any time these changes are observed.

Prepared lemon curd can also be frozen instead of canned for up to 1 year without quality changes when thawed. Package in freezer containers after straining and cooling to room temperature. To thaw, place container in a refrigerator at 40°F or lower for 24 hours before intended use. After thawing, consume within 4 weeks. (See Freezer Lemon Curd,http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/factsheets/freezer_lemoncurd.pdf)

This is the caution...use it quick. The recipes that say "don't" are expecting a normal canning life of one to three YEARS.