MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stacking Pints in Canner

Cricket

I take a disposable tin foil pie pan, pound it out flat, and lay it over the tops of the first layer and then place the 2nd layer of jars on top of that.

That's a good tip Darlene. I wondered how I'd do a second stack. Thanks!

Dee, mine only came with one rack. But I could get two rows of half pints or those smaller flat jelly jars in there. Back when I bought my canner in the 70's I think there were only quart and pint size jars.

The rack you use between layers needs to allow for water and heat to flow through. If you use the pie plate, drill holes in it. I got a nice little rack meant for a bbq grill for mine. Got at the Goodwill for 99 cents. Those cake cooling racks work too, if you can find the right size.

You can stack them without a rack, but you must stagger the jars, not one on top of the other.

Originally Posted By: Andrea
I thought you could only double stack for water bath canning. Is it safe to double stack for pressure canning?

Yes, but be aware it does take a little longer to pressurize and depressurize. Considering that you are cutting out another load, it definitely saves time.

How much more water for fish, and why does it take more? Is it because of the longer processing time? I've been wanting to can some shrimp, if I can find a good sale on it. Would shrimp need more water, too?

Most people put in at least 4 quarts of water. It takes a little more because of the long processing time. My friend just did fish and she said she had only an inch of water left in the canner at the end.

Shrimp don't process as long as the fish, so you don't have to add extra water with it. Just the standard 2-3 inches of water. You also need to acidify the shrimp first with lemon juice.

You will need to check the guidelines for canning shrimp.

Archived