MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Electric Pressure Canner

Beachcomber

Hi. Can someone tell me if there are electric pressure canners, and if so which brand/model do you consider the best. I am going to purchase the pressure cooker that Canned Nerd recommends, but i would also like a pressure canner. I would like to try canning but i have a glass top electric stove. I know some people can on those anyway, but its not recommended, and with my luck the top would shatter. The only other option i have for canning is using the side burner on the gas grill outside and dragging a giant pot of hot water in the house is not something i want to try. Thanks for any suggestions.

How about a propane burner or hotplate? As for carrying a large pot of hot water outside, why? Take out the giant pot, set on the side burner on the gas grill and then fill up and heat up. Some people do their preparing and canning outside. BTW, a pressure canner does not start out full of hot water. Mine only takes 3 qts. of water.

The Amish sometimes still use propane burners, sometimes outside but usually in a protected shed or porch.

In boiling water bath canning, you have lots of water, so you use the metal rack and lift it out of the water, then lift the jars out one by one, taking care to do it equally spaced so it doesn't tip. Or if you're strong enough, lift the whole thing out.

But in pressure canning, there's not much water. Still, you can pull them out one by one, equally spaced so it doesn't tip over.

And I've never heard of an electric pressure canner. :(

I found an electric pressure *cooker*, but I sure wouldn't trust it for canning. And I probably wouldn't trust it for cooking, either.

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/products-we-recommend/pressure-cookers-canners/

Just had a look at the electric cooker/canner Cat found and am not impressed either. It looks a bit... flimsy if that's the right word...

Hi ladies. Thanks for all the help and guidance. Guess i will look into a pressure canner to use on the side burner of the grill. I wasn't worried about getting it out there, its the bringing it back in! I didn't realize pressure canners used so little water. When i was a kid i used to help my mom with regular water bath canning but don't remember too much about it. I don't have a protected area to work outside so it would have to be brought in for unloading. I remember how nervous my mother was about drafts and being so careful unloading the racks and jars so none broke. I'd probably only do a small amount of jars at a time so what brand/model would you recommend? I really appreciate any help. I'm having some health issues so i can't lift heavy things. If i cook in the front i have to carry the pot through the garage into the kitchen. If I do it out back i have to trapse through the living room to get there. All while manuvering around two cats and a great dane!

I highly recommend the Presto 22 quart canner, along with getting the 3 piece weight set for it. Amazon just had the canners for $59 plus free shipping ! Not sure if it is still that price or if it was a Christmas special. Worth a look, though.

Regular price is $99 on them.

Guess i will look into a pressure canner to use on the side burner of the grill. I wasn't worried about getting it out there, its the bringing it back in!

I would not recommend trying to carry a heavy, boiling hot, filled canner. I don't even try to move it one one burner to another on the same stove. I think you need to reevaluate what you need to do. If outside, surround the canning area with something to shield it from the wind. You want that anyway if you are using a propane stove.

Another concern is....will your side burner handle the size and weight of a filled canner without tipping over?

Violet I will look into the Presto 22 quart with the weight set - thanks! Canned Nerd - I was also worried about the side burner being able to hold the weight so maybe Crab Grass Acres' idea to use a camping stove in the garage is the way to go. Certainly seems safer for my situation. I appreciate all the info and ideas - thanks to all of you.

BTW, after you finish processing, you don't haul the pressure canner anywhere with the jars, etc, still in it. The most I do is get my pressure canner off the electric burner on my stove. Then after the cooldown is finished, the jars are removed and moved one by one. Now that I think about it, I would also worry about the side burner on the grill because of the draft. You don't want to break any jars after all that work.

Archived