MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I be movin! Hurrah !

sassenach

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about my phone! I still cant figure out how it was dialing you up, Miki!

I am in PA tonight. My son is coming down with something..... his DW and DS are too. He feels bad now I may get sick. I guess I can take my pic, its a bug straight out of Hawaii.

Awwww. Your poor son. Traveling is not a good time to come down with a bug. Not that having it rear it's ugly at home is any consolation.

It's so hard with pets and little children. You can't explain to them that the situation is only temporary and will soon be over. Heck, sometimes it's hard for the adults to see the end of the tunnel. But what an experience you are having and the memories you can look back on will be fond. Thank God you are safe with your son and not on a moped!!!

Found out something cool about DGS's great grandma, Omah, now 88 or so. She is from Estonia, she escaped Estonia when the Russian Communists attacked Estonia on a German Submarine at age 14 in 1944. At 18 she married , an American soldier who's of Romanian descent, 1st generation American while he was stationed there. So DIL's dad was born in Germany. On Christmas eve 1944, Berlin, where she was ( age 14 ) living in a tent city, the city was bombed, okay...... they went into bomb shelters overnight. They came out in the morning and had to pick glass shards and splinters out of potatoes at their tent so they could have potatoes for Christmas dinner..... in the pictures in January there is a picture of DGS and Omah ( which means grandmother in Estonian ) ---- at that time his bone structure in his face and head mirrors her perfectly yet he has features of others.

They live well past 100 in that family!

Fantastic story about your DGS heritage. It's really neat to know where we came from. I wish I had asked my grandma more questions. I asked what I thought to, but being so young I didn't always think of the right questions or write them down.

Give Dav. Iowa a :wave: from me, Sass! That's my "hometown"....or near there. Haven't actually been there in decades tho. Mississippi is a mighty river and can be pretty. I think they've done more to have parks and such down by the river. I remember horrific flooding pretty much every springtime. Last summer I did get near there....but it sure would be interesting to see if I could remember anything but Brady Street. :scratchhead:

You must be following I-80 then? Long, pleasantly-boring, flat stretch from there. Corn and soy bean fields. You'll get to other crops the further west you go. My reunion was in Des Moines [ 'bout 3 hrs west of Dav.] this past June so I saw that stretch of I-80 when crops were knee to shoulder high. Now, they'd be harvesting. There will be wheat in Neb. Breadbasket country. Pigs. Cattle. Some sheep. So many corporation farms now instead of the family farms of my generation. :(

MtRider ....glad ds is feeling better!! Stay safe! :pray:

I made it to my destination. It is a work in progress to get it straightened out,but now I lost my map of the wee town! But hey meat packed in Grand Island is sold here. Prices are better!

Tomorrow more work will be done.

Well, now I know why the carpet had to be pulled up. The last tenants left 8 mos. ago. Yikes, their poor cat who was probably pretty maine coon mix.. starved or got nailed by someone sitting on the couch! Sad end to a pretty cat... we found it allright.... ewwww.

So much for the living room carpet!

There was an unsecured internet connection nearby so I am using it tonight. Don't know if it will last... lol. Have no idea where the map is either !

• 2 weeks later...

post-63323-0-51616700-1478820924_thumb.jpgThe oven burner was replaced properly yesterday on the stove.

The water heater was replaced.

The drain situation has been ongoing work.

Today the line to the sewer in the back alley was dug out... all the line needs replacing.... its been in for decades. I got to see what tree roots do.

Sorry the photo is sideways.

Edited by sassenach

Wow, Sass. Pretty soon you're gonna be living with all the 21st century amenities! Don't get spoiled :lol: and forget how to do without if we have a big Hooey! But until then.....I realllly like living in the 21st century with heat/plumbing/etc. :happy0203:

MtRider :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the drains were replaced and repaired and that nasty old garbage disposal removed. M and I get 'skeered' of those things! The drain lines were all flushed, so kitchen and bathtub now function drain wise. I just have to put on new shower ( wand style) which is good cause if I need to I can get a shower stool and sit down--- there have been times of illness where this would have been helpful!

Yes back to at least 20th century living again! You cannot scrub stuff and get the dirt out when you can't do use drains these days for proper sewer drainage of disinfectants and such! And its not that its nasty dirty but everything needs a good hygienic scrub down!

One fellow is going to neatly work with the plumber and do new piping and do it insulated properly as the back porch is enclosed walls and windows and outer door entrance but it isn't normally heated. Any smokers can sit out there and smoke though so a portable electric heater works for that in winter weather.

If I am just washing stuff, could leave kitchen door open and house heat can go into porch area to work, as I also want to set up a work table out there for projects that are slightly more industrial than inside crafting.

So, almost back to normal household living! In the spring we can replace the kitchen flooring and do the bedroom, hall and living room painting. It is sort of being prepped these days part of the time lately. It's not good for a house to remain empty, things happen! Especially to plastered walls!

Oh, and P called back the ditch digger guy... who is one cantankerous fellow..... he left big old chunks of cement ( old septic system lid?) that were dug up for sewer drain line replacement he was supposed to remove that day and even left two huge ones right under the clothes line spot....... I may be short but it was a real hazard, so that's all clear. I just have to rake the soil , the high spots, and let it settle over winter. In some spots all that digging and scraping stirred up the soil good so it actually is good when you are just going to put in a garden in the spring!

That should take care of the more obvious tripping hazards for the winter. Luckily its still in the fifties this week.

Now I feel like I can actually unpack and sew some curtains for the most needed windows.... and hang a mini blinds in the bathroom. When it was rented, you should see how the past renters 'hung' curtains, and well, the kitchen ones, small, luckily can be seen through too, and for me, as I value my household privacy, I want to replace, but first the bedroom curtains.

I have French doors leading out two different walls, too and those will be rod pocket curtains but have to order the hardware and some material I like. For now I just want a better window covering for privacy and have a flat sheet I can use for that in colors and tones I can live with. I need to repaint the French doors first, but the bedroom window is priority and I need to winterize it better than the old stuff still on it.

Have to replace dining room curtain rods, and M will get second set of black out curtains to match the ones she provided, since I need double what she had already had. 102" rod.

Over time I can get some area rugs for the living room and dining area that actually will be more of a library for me, and writing area for me.