MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Car was stolen!

Midnightmom

Went to bed--had a car. Took dog out this morning to do her business--no longer have a car. :(

Have comprehensive coverage with a low deductible but Blue Book value may not be enough to replace it even with another used car. Prayers for recovery of said automobile would be greatly appreciated.

Good Grief. First Wormie and now Midnight!

:runcirclsmiley2:

As much as any theft is a gross violation of ourselves.....so glad you were not INSIDE the vehicle when it was stolen like Mrs.Wormie. :grouphug:

I've got one vehicle down in the barnyard right now....cuz it didn't quite make it up the hill to the house area when it broke down. Until we have $$ and TIME to deal with that vehicle....I feel like it's in jeopardy down there, so far from house. ...course it does not run at all. They'd have to bring a dolly. :sigh:

MtRider ......praying that BOTH vehicles will be returned to rightful owners in full excellent condition! :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

So very sorry, Midnightmom. :sigh:

This world is getting so crazy. I thought first of Wormie & his wife, too. Why are people getting so desperately crazy?

Prayers for you, for Wormie & his wife, and everybody else. God knows your needs, and I just keep praying that He helps each of us as we most need it. :wub:

:pray:

Thieves make their rounds during Christmas. But drug trafficking and car stripping is always lurking. Prayers for each of us, that we stay diligent in locking our vehicles and being careful when we approach our vehicles. Check the back seats and give your surroundings a good going over before you open the vehicle door.

:sSig_thankyou: everybody.

Right about now I am wishing I had a picture of my "junker" so I could post it to FB :pc_coffee: and have my friends keep an eye out for it. :blush:

I had another brilliant idea though..........I asked our postal carrier to keep an eye out for it. You know there are more of them than there are police officers! :thumbs:

Little things add to the aggravation of having my car stolen.

Things like:

• My shopping bags were in the car. This is extremely frustrating because a law forbidding stores from providing "single use" shopping bags just went into effect in California! :shakinghead: This means you either bring your own bags (like in Europe) or you PAY for EACH bag they "provide" at the register. :tapfoot: (These bags are 'designed' to be reusable. That's WHY they can be 'provided' by the store.)
  • My laundry soap was in the trunk. Only had enough on hand in the house for my son to take (ie-walk) to the laundry room and do a load of clothes.
  • My Rx glasses were in the glovebox. (I only use them for night driving.)
  • My seat cover for the store power shopping carts was in the back seat. Without it I get "stuck" to the vinyl of the cart seats and it is hard to get up and down from the seat to put stuff in the cart.
  • My handicap hang tag was on the visor. Need it now to use with anyone who gives me a ride to the store so they can legally park in a handicap space for me.

Like I said................it's the little things that are so irritating!!! :gaah:

Ack! That's terrible. Some is $$$$$ like the glasses. Others very tedious like the disability tag. Just pouring salt in a wound! Wanna wound the culprit back....we'll help! :frying pan:

I sure hope they apprehend whoever!!!

MtRider .....and it makes one feel so violated and unsafe in their own neighborhood. :grouphug:

:motz_6: motz_6 That really makes me angry. Those 'little' things really add up. I hope if they find the 'people' who did this they publically announce the idiots as stealing a car from a disabled woman at Christmas time. Because that's what they did.

Got a local newspaper or TV news station locally. They'd love your story at this time of year!

Edited because my smilie was so angry he misfired. :D

Edited by Jeepers

Ack! That's terrible. Some is $$$$$ like the glasses. Others very tedious like the disability tag. Just pouring salt in a wound! Wanna wound the culprit back....we'll help! :frying pan:

I sure hope they apprehend whoever!!!

MtRider .....and it makes one feel so violated and unsafe in their own neighborhood. :grouphug:

When you're though you can hand the ball bat to me...

Hey Jeep--I was inspired by your suggestion about contacting the local paper about my story so I went to their website. Lo and behold I saw this article:

A routine patrol check by an Anderson police officer yielded the arrest of two people who were found with a stolen car in the Anderson Walmart parking lot late Friday night, after the vehicle was taken earlier from the Redding Walmart lot, according to the Anderson Police Department.

The officer said he noticed a freshly painted 1994 Honda Civic in the parking lot in Anderson on Friday just before midnight. A check of the license plate showed the vehicle had been reported as stolen to the San Jose Police Department in 2012. Since the car was unoccupied, the officer checked the vehicle identification number and found it had also been reported stolen from the Redding Walmart three hours prior. The officer set up surveillance on the vehicle and requested law enforcement backup.

The officers saw two people return to the Honda. That’s when police said they boxed the car into a parking stall and arrested the driver, Nicholas William Hunt, 23, of Redding, and his passenger, Angelica Renee Gilchrist, 21, of Anderson. They were found with multiple shaved ignition keys, police said.

Police said Gilchrist had methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia, stolen credit cards, another person’s driver’s license, and a registration card from another reported stolen vehicle. Hunt was out on bail for a prior vehicle theft case that happened in November, police said. They were both booked into Shasta County Jail on suspicion of multiple charges and the car was returned to its owner, police said.

That wasn't MY car, but it was MY REGISTRATION! I had received a call from the police last night asking me if I knew the Gilchrist woman or if she had any reason to be in possession of MY REGISTRATION.

Hopefully they will be able to find out where MY CAR is!!!

Oh! That's an obvious lead! :cele: And hey.....maybe you'll get a new paint job outta this ordeal???? Well, maybe not a good joke but seriously, the police might have just turned over a whole rats nest of vehicle theft.

MtRider :pray: God, Midnight would really like a car for Christmas! And her prescription glasses back!

I added this comment to the FaceBook issue of the article posted by the newspaper:

The stolen registration was from MY car. It was stolen from the parking lot of my apartment complex last Monday. It is a 1993 teal green Honda Accord (4 door) with HANDICAP (DPD8616) license plates. If you spot it, please report it to the police.

I also called the newspaper today and talked with a reporter. I pointed out that my car had Handicap plates and told him about the small annoyances that go along with having had the car taken. You know, the stuff I mentioned in the other post. Anyway, Nathan said that they may do doing a follow-up to the story and thart he would pass the information on to his editors. Who knows, maybe it will get some play. :shrug:

If they don't follow through write a letter to the editor.

Headline:

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas From A Handicapped Woman.

Then tell your story. Tell the details of what they stole and what it meant to you. Don't make it too long though. Peoples attention span won't read long paragraphs. Beg anyone with any details to please come forward as you now have to rely on others because you no longer have your own transportation. :happy0203:

:pray::hug3::pray:

UPDATE: No, my car hasn't been found. BUT, they did run a follow-up story.

While she slept, thieves stole Patricia Clayborn’s car from her Anderson apartment complex in the early hours of Dec. 13.

She hasn't seen it since, be she was surprised when Anderson police called to say they found her vehicle registration — but in a different stolen car altogether on Friday.

Police found Clayborn’s registration for her 1993 Honda Accord in a stolen 1994 Honda Accord recovered at the Anderson Walmart. In an odd twist, that car was reported stolen from the Redding Walmart on Dana Drive a few hours earlier.

“But it wasn’t my car they found,” Clayborn, 64, told the Record Searchlight on Tuesday.

Police arrested Nicholas William Hunt, 23, of Redding and Angelica Renee Gilchrist, 21, of Anderson who were reportedly driving the stolen car.

The couple had methamphetamine, stolen credit cards and a vehicle registration card for Clayborn’s stolen car in their possession. The couple also had multiple shaved ignition keys, police said.

Lt. Rocky Harpham from the Anderson Police Department said the fact the suspects stayed in the area after they stole the car from the Redding Walmart may indicate that Clayborn’s car could be nearby.

“It’s likely (Clayborn’s) car is still in the Shasta, Tehama County area,” Harpham said.

Clayborn said she cancelled medical appointments and postponed errands she would usually get to in her teal green Honda Accord. The car also had handicap plates and a placard.

“My son said it takes a special type of person to take someone’s car with handicap plates,” Clayborn said.

In the late 2000s the number of reported stolen cars in Anderson averaged between 25 and 40 a year, according to the Anderson Police Department. But after AB 109 sent select recently released prison inmates into county probation systems, the number of reported stolen cars began to spike, said Harpham. That rise followed a statewide trend seen after AB 109, or prison realignment, went into effect.

In 2012 there were 94 reported stolen cars and 120 reported in 2013 in Anderson. Those numbers began to drop in 2014 with 76 reported stolen and 56 reported in 2015.

So far this year 76 were reported stolen and Clayborn’s Honda Accord is one of them.

Police reviewed surveillance footage from her apartment complex, but she has not heard anything yet about the investigation. She said her insurance company told her to wait a few weeks before filing a claim to give police time to search for her car.

In 2015, the National Insurance Crime Bureau listed the 1996 Honda Accord as the most stolen car across the United States. Harpham said worn-down locks in older cars make them popular for car thieves because other keys can turn the tumblers.

He cautions people to use common sense with their cars, like not leaving a car unattended while it warms up.

“People tend to think, I’ve lived here all my life, and this is a small town, but that’s not the case anymore. Crime has reached every small town in the country,” Harpham said.

This isn't the first time this year that stolen cars were found at area Walmarts. In September and October, two different car thieves parked stolen vehicles next to marked police cars in the Anderson Walmart parking lot.

A spokesman for Walmart said it's up to the management at each Walmart to decide whether it will hire security guards.

As for Clayborn, she's still left without her car. She said a few other people in her neighborhood have the same make and model of her car. "I used to joke sometimes when I was sitting on my front porch with my dog, there goes my car."

http://www.redding.com/story/news/local/2016/12/20/womans-stolen-car-registration-found-but-not-car/95657706/

The story is also posted to their FB site. I will keep an eye on the comments to see if any information is forthcoming.