MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

In Rememberance

• 11 years later...

The above link is gone….

https://www.untothebreach.net/1941/12/07/adolph-m-bothnes-navy-cross-citation/

navy-cross.png

Adolph M. Bothne’s Navy Cross citation

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY CROSS to

ADOLPH M. BOTHNE

BOATSWAIN
U.S. NAVY

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

for exceptional courage, presence of mind, and devotion to duty and disregard for his personal safety while serving on board the Battleship U.S.S. OKLAHOMA (BB-37), during the Japanese attack on the United States Pacific Fleet in Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, on 7 December 1941. Upon the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA capsizing within ten minutes after the attack began, Boatswain Bothne pulled himself into a motor launch of which he acted as coxswain. By skillful handling, he succeeded in picking up a boatload of survivors from the water and landed them at Ford Island. He then returned to the vicinity of the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA and rescued another boatload of survivors, all who remained in sight of that area, and landed them at Ford Island also. Thereafter throughout the remainder of the attack, despite severe bombing and strafing, he patrolled the battleship line in search of more survivors. Furthermore, subsequent to the attack, he assisted most efficiently in fighting fires and in the rescue of personnel trapped in the U.S.S. OKLAHOMA. The conduct of Boatswain Bothne throughout this action reflects great credit upon himself, and was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Born: 18 April 1905 in LaPorte, Minn…. Home of record: LaPorte, Minn…. Awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for entering a hydrogen sulfide-filled confined space aboard USS Nevadaand saving a man’s life in February 1942… Also served during the Korea War… Ultimately reached rank of commander… Departed: 4 May 1980… Interred: Fort Bliss National Cemetery in El Paso, Texas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Uncle wrote a comment…. Something we were all told, many times….

A.M.Bothne was my father. I read his story on Pearl Harbor when I was 12. He had written it up for Navy at Sea, but they went under before doing his story of the Navy Cross. After I went into the Navy he told me about the Navy Marine Medal. He got one guy out and went down for more when he started to pass out and they grabbed him from above and pulled him out. He also told me the real story about the Arizona, They evacuated it 3 times and went back all 3 times to fight the fires to save it. When the fire got to the Forward Powder Mag, that is when the bottom was blown out and it sank with all the men aboard. No Bomb sank it by itself, but the fires from the bombing. The Arizona was targeted because all her guns were uncased as they had an inspection due on that Sunday.

Note:  Quoted the information, because the first “Navy History” link page has been removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 5 months later...