MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Low Carb Diet

Momo

I have officially completed one month on a very low carb diet. Mainly I did it to help lower my sugar which has happened in spades. I have cut my insulin by a third and my readings are way down. I actually hit the low 100's frequently now. I also lost 24 pounds. This is an added bonus. I don't know how long this will continue but for now it is good news.

I did low carb after I gained so much weight (after quiting smoking) about 20 yrs or so ago. Lost 35# in 3 months. But...it's crept back up, though not near where I was. The low carb has to be a lifestyle to maintain the weight. If I remember right, they say anything over 40 grams a day you'll store :-(

Like anything else, you have to find the methods and quantities that work for YOUR body. Some people would become ill on a low carb diet. DH and I were shocked, years ago, to find that low carb was not only the key to my systemic candida....but to good weight loss for both of us. The fact that we happen to be the same blood type MIGHT have something to do with that.

Once I achieved a good weight, I tapered up on carb grams. You have to see what happens. You have to pay attention. There absolutely is no set numbers.....but it's good to have some idea on where to look for loss/gain. It also is drastically different if you do whole grain carbs vs simple carbs. It's a lifestyle that requires some focus....until you get used to YOUR normal.

It's really a different way of looking at feeding your body. The very word "diet" simply means "What do you eat?" It never was supposed to mean "How do you lose weight?" A commentary on our opulent lifestyle [a gooood thing when we aren't starving] and our lack of self-control [not such a good thing when we don't prevent ourselves from going overboard].

Some folks do better if they're cutting fats and minimize proteins. When I did low carb, I could eat quite a lot of some things that were forbidden and still lose. My totals allowed were higher....and I lost so fast I thot I had some wasting disease cuz I didn't begin for weight loss reasons....didn't know that would be the result. :o

Have tried to use self-control to cut down on overt sugars.....with varying degrees of success lately. Going into holidays is not a good time to start a strict beginning. But cutting it down so you don't really over-indulge for the holidays would be certainly healthier. :whistling:

My main reason [yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it...LOL ] is that low carb is so incredibly expensive. Unless you have garden and hunting....we can't afford it. All our meals have carb fillers these days. :shrug: Pasta and bread is one thing tho. Chocolate mints and pie are quite something else. I'm trying to minimize the latter and be as moderate as budget will allow on the pasta/bread/taters.

MtRider ...best I can do for now. Good for you all who've been sticking with this: Momo and Sass! :thumbs:

I lost 16lbs this year by cutting carbs. I have kept most of it off by cutting sugar out of my diet. I eat carbs, but watch the amount of them on a daily basis.

I feel so much better. The sugar was killing me.

I'm working on going low carb, but seem to be doing badly when we have things going on, so I've decided I'll be have on normal days and not worry about it on days when we have Christmas parties as generally the only thing I can safely eat at those is fruit. Down a few pounds in a month, but I was feeling better until I had a crazy amount of sugar yesterday. I've now ordered low carb supplies for baking so I can still make cookies this year.

Mt Rider, for diabetics especially if they are Type 2, its reccommended to do low carb high fat ( which I get from meats, avocado and olive oil) I eat a little more than typical serving of meat per meal now ,than Daily reccomend because it s not enough and with fibrous veggies, you need still to take in enough calories when you drop all the starch and go gluten free as much as possible. This is what I am doing. I have now lost 25 lbs and continuing. I think I lose more slowly or I didn't have as much, not sure about the others but metabolism is only faster if I drop eating starchy carbs. I tend to keep it under 30 carbs or at first I did, I can eat a bit more if I add meat for sure, now..... well I try to get avocado's but by the time they get here they are so beat up and often rotten when I cut them open once i get home, which annoys me t the cost they are. So I don't get many when I would like to . Or it was lousy crop this year?

I find if i add diced tomatoes to rice a roni side dishes and to my chili I can eat enough to feel full without going over on my blood sugar levels.

For diabetics of any type, a lifestyle of eating is important, and its different than a person without diabetes.

If I eat a half cup of ice cream , it will shoot my blood sugar up to 155. That does not make me happy... I am not on any meds at this time. But if I do that I will have cold meat to snack on or some tuna or something like that , plain, to counter the blood sugar and get it to drop towards normal.

Yep, no big plates of pasta or subsandwichs anymore for me and I rarely do eat icecream anyway, still , I tested myself when I did a few weeks back because once in a while you gotta have ice cream!

Type 1's often bolus their carbs and I think the endo's are nuts saying they can eat as many carbs, it still rocks the blood sugar , and too many times, it does lead to the complications, so I prefer more rigid control. I can add plenty of variety of the right things that won't jack up my sugar. It does take individual tweaking per individual, but my mom never really had to correct much with insulin because she was so careful, and I think that is wise. Even caffeine can be an enemy to some folks with diabetes. I am ok with it though, which is lucky cause i really need a big mugful in the mornings!

Sass............

Try adding some unsalted butter to your coffee, or perhaps some coconut oil. (cheaper than avocados!)

I agree with you on the endo's and carbs. Sure, you can bolus enough insulin to cover your carbs, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut..............................all that ensures is that your BS will go down because the 'leftover' carbs are stored as fat!!!

For sure you have to know your own body and what works for one could

certainly hurt another.

I do better on higher carbs but I make my own bread so know what is in it.

Sugar is not high on the list and I rarely ever eat potatoes.

My weight does fluctuate 5-10 lbs but i am pretty close to what I should weigh.

Still am not certain what causes the fluctuation but know I certainly feel better

eating 2-3 slices of bread daily and preferably with cheese.

We're a combination. I do very well on proteins and tend to store carbs of any kind. MrWE2 does well on carbs and didn't eat much meat protein until he married me :-) So, I try to keep us both happy. I make my own breads most of the time and we limit our pasta intake as well as oatmeal and desserts. We both need to do better...and know it. THAT's why the treadmill now occupies the back patio/porch :-)

Alot of the girls at work are on a local diet called Body4Believers. They all swear by it. One girl has lost 40 pounds. What is funny is that they are all sticking to it. 4 of them have been on it for about 6 months.

I weighed in today..a total of 27 lbs gone. My sugar is still doing great too!

I find that eating scrambled eggs every day(prepared many different ways) for breakfast helps keep me feel full. They are preety inexpensive too.

Jumping on the low carb bandwagon too. My boyfriend's sugar is out of control so it's a must. He's lost several pounds the last couple of weeks, but his sugar is still high. I have only got a big toe on the band wagon, but as soon as Christmas is over I'll pull myself up on it. Too much going on with activities and family coming in from out of town for me to have detox symptoms and fatigue right now. Plus having the flu and a bad sinus infection have made fizzy drinks a must to settle my stomach. I have switched to the lower sugar Coca-Cola Life which I really like. Not sure why they aren't advertising it better. It's a mix of cane sugar and stevia and tastes better than a real Coke to me.

We had a family over for lunch today, and the husband doesn't eat sugar. He watched the rest of us devour a trifle. I felt bad for him and would have fixed something else had I known he didn't partake in sugar. I asked him why, and he said "it gives me migraines." It takes him over a week to get rid of the migraines. I think more of us should have that reaction to sugar. We'd be a healthier country. :cheer:

• 3 weeks later...

Low carb (high fat, moderate protein) starts again tomorrow. Today, I plan to cook up sausage patties, bacon, & chicken, make salami-mozzarella rolls, and chop veggies after church, assuming, of course, we still have power. I also have a pot full of broth I need to skim & strain the fat off and boil down a bit.