MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Manual Pasta sheeter?

Gunplumber

I've got a bunch of dried pasta, but have been playing with fresh pasta, It has been difficult with a rolling a pin. Looks so darn easy on the cooking shows with their machine. So I want to get some kind of pasta roller/sheeter/cutter. Anyone have good or bad experience? Don't need a restaurant sized one, but do want it heavy duty.

Which brings up the second question - Since I'm low-tech kind of guy, I 'm thinking a manual one would be a good idea. I can also use it without electricity. Seems it would go well with a manual grain grinder. But pasta has egg in it. So when making dried pasta, does one cook it first, then dry it, or just dry it with the raw egg and flour?

YOU have got to get one !

YES, the manual one is all you need just get the 'all metal' one and you will have it for YEARS!

After you make the dough and let it 'sit' a bit, then when you pass it though your machine and lay it out (we just let it sit on table) it will dry all by itself. And the eggs are OK that way and no you don't cook it first.

You can make all kinds of noodles with it and when you are having so much fun making noodles get some of the gadgets that you can put onto it and have even more fun! We have the ravioli maker and also a drying rack for drying spaghetti.

And if you have the time to shopp around.............................

SOMTIMES you can get a cheap used one at Thrift Shops as people get them and then never use them. Just make sure all the parts are there and no rust on rollers or cutters, they are HARD to break!

JUST remember NOT to use it for anything else! Like make play-dough cookies!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichael2:

The Imperia 150 is an Italian made manual pasta maker that is thought of as being #1 in manual pasta makers. They have different attachments that you can purchase seperately to make different cuts of pasta if you'd like.

Yep. There are countless tales of people who have grown up watching their moms or grandmas making homemade pasta with that particular model. It hasn't really been changed much in decades.

The Altea and Imperia look the same. I often find them for about $10 at thrift stores. Both great pasta makers ! There is a great looking one on ebay for about $21 and $15 shipping. It is buy it now. Some auctions that may be good price in the end, too.

Atlas brand are also great.

Archived