MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

• 1 month later...

Ham and bean soup is on the stove cooking right now. What doesn't get canned later today will be dinner tonight. Bought some multi-grain sourdough bread from an Amish family yesterday. Homemade yogurt and frozen strawberries for dessert, if we don't eat too much soup. :grinning-smiley-044:

Daelith..that is a balanced diet! The two main food groups.

Tonight I cleaned out the produce drawer and used up leftovers. I fixed salmon patties, hash browns, honey gingered carrots and fried cabbage.

We also are "eating" our way out of the freezer :-) Grilled chicken chunks, pasta w/spinach, and corn we grew in 2013 vacuum sealed and froze! The corn tasted just like it came right of our garden. Ate the rest of the light rolls.

Dug down into the deep freeze and pulled out a nice bag of catfish pieces and some corn on the cob we blanched & vacuum sealed in 2013! Drug out fhe Fry Daddy, rolled the fish in white cornmeal and then added some pork-n-beans as a side.

Breaded veal cutlets, steamed potato chunks with runny yogurt over them (LOL), sprout salad (with runny yogurt!) and finished off the rest of the banana cream pie. Oh...I figured out probably part of what happened to my yogurt...I used the "low-fat" starter. Just wasn't paying attention :-(

Cleaned out the "mini" leftovers in the fridge. We had cream of cauliflower soup for lunch from those. We are looking forward to this evening's meal of baked salmon, with coleslaw (more mini pickings) and maybe a dessert. We had company drop in for coffee last night and I didn't have a thing on hand to serve with it. Problem is when I make it I eat it

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Dinner tonight.

Fresh pulled beets, blanched w/some older leaves, then, fried in a tbs. of butter, salad: fresh pulled radishes, shredded carrots and cheddar cheese, tender beet leaves, diced tomato, chives and cucumber with home made ranch dressing. And barbecued steak and bread.

Salmon streaks, pork-n-beans and Jasmine rice with butter & course ground black pepper. Cooked the Salmon in my panini gril...love it! My other one went toes up several months ago and I sure missed it! I keep it on my stove and use it for just about everything...even toasting or heating our bagels or english muffins. Makes our bacon WONDERFUL...flat and no grease! Still can't believe I got it...Wolfgang Puck...for $1.00 at an open air market :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Grilled tenderloin (on the panini maker), mashed potatoes and a salad from our garden :-) Dessert was our berry fruit cup with whipped topping ... again! LOL Will continue to eat them until ??? Just hate to have to "jar" them up when they taste so good in a fruit cup!

• 3 weeks later...

DH is so happy. I made a fresh garden meal tonight. We had corn on the cob, sliced big juicy beefsteak maters,cucumber salad and fried brim. We grew everything in our garden except for the fish which we caught across the street today. Yummy and fresh.

He had to top his meal off with the last slice of his pineapple upside birthday cake. (Not exactly healthy but it was homemade)

• 2 weeks later...

On "fend for yourself" Monday: Mary wanted a ham sandwich and leftover pasta salad; I opted for a stir fry of leftover BBQ combined with sauteed garden weeds (lambsquarter, purslane & young sowthistle) and some leftover carrots & celery getting limp in the crisper. The BBQ sauce made a good sweet-sour beginning.

Tonight it will be more garden stuff: the second sprouting of broccoli, with my special moist hamburgers, and some spuds & pintos from the crockpot for those that like it (me) and a baked potato for Mary with cheese for sprinkling on top.

Gotta love eating fresh from the garden! BTW the raspberries are starting up now....washing & freezing for jam-making day....

Edited by kappydell