MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Pie Filling Recipe Needed

Carie

At one time I had a apple pie filling recipe (for canning) that used cornstarch as a thickener rather than sure jell or that type of thing. I seem to have misplaced it. Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't use sure jell?

Thanks!

Blessings,

Carie

APPLE PIE FILLING

7-8 quarts of sliced apples(set aside)

4 1/2 c sugar

1 c cornstarch

1/4 t nutmeg

2 t cinnamon

1 t salt (opt.)

10 c water

Combine and cook (no apples yet)until starts to thicken, set aside. Add enough apples to fill 7-8 quarts. Seal with lid. Cook in pressure cooker at 5 lbs pressure 5 minutes. (or 20 minutes hot water bath)

Got this from my neighbor several years ago and make it every apple windfall year:?) It's yummy! Is it similar to the one you lost?

Krissy,

Yes thank you! I think that is it! You are such a blessing! We got the apples free (thanks to my grandfather's part of an orchard) but there was no way I was going to be able to afford all that sure jell stuff the other recipes were calling for.

I really, really appreciate it!

Blessings,

Carie

I think we better check with Violet. I don't think you are supposed to can with cornstarch, only regular Clear Jel. I went to our Extension Office and got their recipe for apple pie filling. It also has quite a bit of lemon juice, which may be for safety. The time to process this, was 30 mins., for quarts. Maybe Violet will be around tonight and review this. I canned 51 jars of it, since yesterday and it is yummy.

Cornstarch, flour and tapioca are no longer considered safe for canning. I used to put tapioca in to thicken my pie fillings when I canned them, because I am allergic to corn--and the Clear Jel is made of corn so I can't use that, either.

What I do now is simply can the pie apples with the sugar and spices, lemon juice only and then add a couple tablespoons of wheat-free flour mix when I open the jar to bake the pie. It's not much trouble, and it works fine.

I just canned 3 pints of sliced apples, and instead of syrup I used apple cider I had on hand. DH is allergic to cinnamon, so I did not use any spices at all so I could use them for anything when I opened the jar.

Dora

Here is the one from our website (link at bottom).

Apple Pie Filling

28 cups apples, peeled and sliced or shredded (not too fine)

Syrup:

4 1/2 cups white sugar

1 1/4 cup clear jell or Therm Flo

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

10 cups water

Cook syrup until thick and bubbly. Add:

3 tbsp. lemon juice

Pour over apples in large dishpan and mix. Spoon into sterile jars; don't make jars too full as it expands while processing. Put in hot water bath for 20 minutes. Makes 8 quarts.

Hints: We sliced the apples as opposed to shredding them. Plus I used Therm-Flo as it makes a creamier syrup. Also, we made a double batch but we did one batch at a time. Enjoy

Michael2

I've been wondering about canning apple pie filling also.

I should have known something was amiss when I couldn't find an apple pie filling recipe for canning in my Ball Blue Book. read

Would it be ok to freeze apple pie filling made with corn starch?

http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/food/ItemD...31-14919b8dd79c

It says it is modified corn starch, so I think it is comparable. I would use it for pie fillings and not be concerned about it.

Clear Jel is modified food starch, but it is also from corn. I know you can buy it here in a big bag at Cash n Carry/United Grocers. It is pretty cheap per pound, but you have to buy a big bag. I think it was 25 lb. of it.

This is from another site : http://www.oakhillbulkfoods.com/gelatin_pudding.php

Clear Gel or Therm Flo

Use as a clear thickener. Boil 4 cups fruit juice or water. Add ¼ cup thickener. Do not over boil. Therm Flo freezes well and can be used for canned pie filling.

For the record, everyone is responsible for their choices.

But also for the record, I would strongly suggest others, who are not willing to take risks in their home canning, to refrain from using cornstarch in the preservation process. If someone is determined to use cornstarch, flour, other type thickeners that are known potential problems, then so be it. "This is how I've always done it" is not proof positive that it is a safe practice to teach other people when scientific proof states otherwise that it is potentially unsafe.

With that said, I just bought 500lbs of apples yesterday to start canning this week. Trip fell in love with my split peas soup with ham that I had canned so I'm in the process of making a 30qt pot of that to can up today. Once I get that outta the way, I'm going to start in on the apples and I'll be taking pictures to post on the site.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
For the record, everyone is responsible for their choices.

But also for the record, I would strongly suggest others, who are not willing to take risks in their home canning, to refrain from using cornstarch in the preservation process. If someone is determined to use cornstarch, flour, other type thickeners that are known potential problems, then so be it. "This is how I've always done it" is not proof positive that it is a safe practice to teach other people when scientific proof states otherwise that it is potentially unsafe.

With that said, I just bought 500lbs of apples yesterday to start canning this week. Trip fell in love with my split peas soup with ham that I had canned so I'm in the process of making a 30qt pot of that to can up today. Once I get that outta the way, I'm going to start in on the apples and I'll be taking pictures to post on the site.

help
PLEASE don't hate me or kick me off
but I need to know. . . . .
just where does it say (in print) that you can't use clear jell or Therm Flo in canning?

I see all kinds of recipes using it but can't seem to find anything about NOT using it?
so help us learn - give us the facts not just he said - she said.
Thank you for understanding-

~US~

Yes to what Pogo said...

ClearJel and Therm Flo are scientifically proven to be safe for home canning. Starch, flours, etc., are scientifically proven NOT to be.

Hope that clears up any confusion I may have caused.

It's ok AH...we all know you get confused from time to time...

lol

Thanks Violet and Darlene. I have seen Therm Flo, but didn't know what it was. The Mennonites here, sell it, right along side of the Clear Jel. Not sure which is cheaper or maybe they are the same price.

Some of my Mennonite friends were commenting that my pie fillings weren't cloudy, like theirs. I wonder if that might be the difference in the two products. I always use regular Clear Jel.

From the Freshpreserving site - One question: Can I substitute apple cider for apple juice in this?

Apple Pie Filling

Makes about 7 (16 oz) pints

You will need:

12 cups sliced peeled cored apples, treated to prevent browning* and drained (about 12 medium)

Water

2-3/4 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup ClearJel® (cooking starch used for preserving)

1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

2-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice

1-1/4 cups cold water

1/2 cup lemon juice

7 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) BLANCH apple slices, working with 6 cups at a time, in a large pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a covered bowl.

3.) COMBINE sugar, ClearJel®, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in apple juice and cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook until misture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice, return to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Drain apple slices and immediately fold into hot mixture. Before processing, heat, stirring, until apples are heated through.

4.) LADLE hot pie filling into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

*To treat apple slices to prevent browning, apply Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector according to the manufacturer\'s instructions or submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.

• 1 month later...

Archived