MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Fresh Are Your Eggs?

~~Copied from HBHW~~

Sometimes recipes call for fresh eggs or older eggs. There are some things that just work out better depending on the age of your eggs.

For example, if you’re making poached eggs, you want to make sure you’re using eggs that are as fresh as possible. If you’re making hard boiled eggs on the other hand, you don’t want them to be too fresh or it will be hard to peel them.

Unless you get your eggs fresh from a farm, it’s hard to tell exactly how old they are. My favorite thing to do is to submerge the egg in a glass bowl in some water. A 2 cup measuring cup works great for this. Fill it with water and then gently submerge the egg.

If the egg is fresh, it will lay on the bottom of the dish, usually flat on it’s side. If the egg is older, air bubbles start to form inside and the egg will stand upright in the water or even float to the top.

I couldn't copy all of the article because her link was inactive, so the rest is my note on the subject......

Having been a chicken for a few years, I learned a lot from my birds and their eggs too. If an egg floats to the top of the water, I never attempt to use it, I throw it out or put it in the compost pilen for use in the garden.

A bit off subject but a useful tidbit just the same..........

When wishing to hatch eggs, always look at the small end of the egg. If it is pretty round, you should hatch a hen. The more pointed it is, the more likelihood that you will hatch a rooster. Now this is not 100% accurate but it will help cut down on your rooster to hen ratio a quite a bit.

The eggs I found hardest to sex were the araucana eggs. I had to learn to use a quick glance method and trust my instincts. I did good as long as I did that method with them every time.

SG