MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Those two planets to the west...

Cat

I've been wondering which planets have been shining so very brightly in our western night sky. Apparently Venus and Jupiter are at their closest tonight.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120313-conjunction-venus-jupiter-sky-space-science/

If you don't have cloud cover, take a look and think about all of your friends *here* who are doing the same.

See... you're not as alone as you think you are! :wub:

Yup, they're not even close... they just look like they are! :happy0203:

When two worlds seem to line up in the sky, it's called a conjunction. But the apparent proximity is an optical illusion—in reality, Venus is nearly 75.9 million miles (122 million kilometers) distant from Earth, and Jupiter sits about seven times farther away at 524 million miles (844 million kilometers) from Earth.

I have noticed them for some time but only remembered to look it up online tonight. :)

Thanks Cat! Have an excellent view of them. DD was still awake so I pulled her out of bed and took her out to see them. Text my sister to see if my niece was up (she was, too) and then called and told her to take her out. Text DD's best friend's mom and told her, she sent her older two kids out as the younger two were sleeping. I might try to go grab a few photos before the clouds roll in.

Archived