MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

blackberry cobbler filling, purple hull peas, pickled okra

Hey y'all,

I'm back to canning finally and I have a few questions. I've searched the site and if my answers are on here, I just can't find them. Your help will be appreciated.

First, I've canned some purple hull peas based on the textbook guidelines for field peas .. that is 50 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure. My issue is, as I was bringing the pressure up, I turned my back (DOH!) to get the okra ready and it shot up to 15 lbs. in a heart beat. I started my time immediately and backed off the heat to get it to 10 lbs, which took about 4 minutes on my fickle electric stove top. I proceeded to maintain 10 lb. pressure for the remaining time. Have I done DH's precious purple hull peas a disservice? Am I going to poison said Hubby? Are we in for a mushy treat?? LOL ... live and learn!!

Second, I have more purple hulls in the freezer. Can I take these out and can them? Do I thaw them first in the fridge or on the counter? Should I bring them to room temp?

Third, can you add anything to peas besides the salt?

On to blackberries!! I have some in the freezer I would like to can for cobbler. Is this possible and are there any recipes floating around. Do I just can the berries in water or what?? Would it take a pint or a quart to make a basic cobbler?

And finally, Pickled Okra. My girls love it and I'm going to put up some according to Ball and UGA. Does anyone else have a differenct recipe in case they don't like this one? Are their other herbs and spices that can safely be added?

Thanks, as always, for your valued opinions!!

BTW ... I heart :canning: !!

Obviously you are using a dial gauge canner (going from 10-15 psi) which I will assume you have had regularly tested.....but I'm concerned because the proper pressure for a dial gauge is 11 psi, not 10. That becomes a safety issue. Violet has more experience on that issue that I do. To generally answer your question however, as long as the pressure stayed above the minimum required you are okay.

Frozen food, once thawed, can be canned. There might be some minor degradation due to the cell damage caused by the freezing process. Don't forget that produce has to be blanched before freezing.

Thanks for the quick reply CN. I double checked Ball Blue Book and it says 10 lbs. for field peas. I didn't find an entry for purple hulls. I am using a dial gage and I had it tested. Thanks for the reminder.

That 10 lb. is only for a weighted gauge, you need to use 11 lb. pressure. Yours are underprocessed. You can only reprocess if you did the initial canning less than 24 hours ago. When did you can them ? You did not have the required temp. to destroy potential botulism in that dial gague canner.

Have you thought of getting the 3 piece weight set and using it as a weighed gauge canner instead ? Easy to do, costs about $12.

Yes, you can thaw the frozen ones in the fridge. Then, I suggest you do a hot pack, not a raw pack. Just because they should not be cold. Never leave any food on the counter for more than 2 hours at room temp.

Ok, blackberry pie filling. You can use them after thawing. Only use Clear Jel. If you need it order online or check with your county ext. office. A few etx. offices sell it. So do some cake decor shops and here Wilco, a feed type store has it. No other thickener is safe to use. You will not find Clear Jel in your typical grocery stores. Oh and Amish or Mennonite stores often have it.

Or, you are able to can them plain in syrup or water and thicken after you open the jars up.

The fillings are like the commercial ones but your fruit is more fresh at home.

Blackberry Pie Filling

6-quarts fresh blackberries

7 cups granulated sugar (can make slight adjustments for tartness of berries)

1 3/4 cups Clear Jel

1 teaspoon cinnamon

9 1/3 cups water

1/2 cup lemon juice (this is for safety, do not decrease amount)

Select top quality, firm, ripe berries. Rinse berries and set aside.

Measure lemon juice and set aside.

Combine Clear Jel, sugar and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Add water and mix until smooth. Stirring during the thickening process is critical for a smooth end product. Heat, stirring mixture constantly until it bubbles. Quickly add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (you may add more water at this point if you wish to have a berry topping instead of pie filling). Remove from heat and fold in berries.

Fill 7 quart jars, leaving 1 to 1 1/2 inches of headspace.

Process in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes at sea level, 35 minutes at 1001 to 3000 feet and 40 minutes at altitudes 3001 to 6000 feet. Each quart of pie filling will make an 8- or 9-inch pie.

That 10 lb. is only for a weighted gauge, you need to use 11 lb. pressure. Yours are underprocessed. You can only reprocess if you did the initial canning less than 24 hours ago. When did you can them ? You did not have the required temp. to destroy potential botulism in that dial gague canner.

Have you thought of getting the 3 piece weight set and using it as a weighed gauge canner instead ? Easy to do, costs about $12.

Yes, you can thaw the frozen ones in the fridge. Then, I suggest you do a hot pack, not a raw pack. Just because they should not be cold. Never leave any food on the counter for more than 2 hours at room temp.

Ok, blackberry pie filling. You can use them after thawing. Only use Clear Jel. If you need it order online or check with your county ext. office. A few etx. offices sell it. So do some cake decor shops and here Wilco, a feed type store has it. No other thickener is safe to use. You will not find Clear Jel in your typical grocery stores. Oh and Amish or Mennonite stores often have it.

Or, you are able to can them plain in syrup or water and thicken after you open the jars up.

The fillings are like the commercial ones but your fruit is more fresh at home.

Blackberry Pie Filling

6-quarts fresh blackberries

7 cups granulated sugar (can make slight adjustments for tartness of berries)

1 3/4 cups Clear Jel

1 teaspoon cinnamon

9 1/3 cups water

1/2 cup lemon juice (this is for safety, do not decrease amount)

Select top quality, firm, ripe berries. Rinse berries and set aside.

Measure lemon juice and set aside.

Combine Clear Jel, sugar and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Add water and mix until smooth. Stirring during the thickening process is critical for a smooth end product. Heat, stirring mixture constantly until it bubbles. Quickly add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (you may add more water at this point if you wish to have a berry topping instead of pie filling). Remove from heat and fold in berries.

Fill 7 quart jars, leaving 1 to 1 1/2 inches of headspace.

Process in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes at sea level, 35 minutes at 1001 to 3000 feet and 40 minutes at altitudes 3001 to 6000 feet. Each quart of pie filling will make an 8- or 9-inch pie.

Holy Smokes, I finally get what you are saying!! DOH again. Sorry to dispute you CN .... I just read the recipe so many times I couldn't figure out where I went wrong. I finally see that I neglected to go to the altitude chart and look at the dial time. Thanks again for your help.

Violet, I did these yesterday afternoon so I should be safe to reprocess. But won't they be too mushy to be any good? If I understand reprocessing right, I open the jars, reheat the peas, put them back in the jars and reprocess for 50 minutes at ELEVEN (11) pounds pressure. Do I need to add hot water to 1" head space?

Violet, I do plan to get the pressure gage but just haven't done it yet. Now I know I'll be getting that ordered pronto.

Thanks for the recipe, info and support to both of you.

Carr,

Glad you know the difference now. On a dial gauge, at 10 lb. it will not be at the 240 degrees it takes to kill botulism spores. That is why you have to go up to 11 lb. I cannot believe they did not tell you this when you got your gauge tested. We always explain this to people.

You can reprocess or you can pop the seals, take out another inch or so and freeze them in the jars.

Thanks Violet. I opted for freezing since I have a kitchen full of okra to pickle and freeze.

I KNEW about the difference in the dial gauge and pressure gauge pounds, it's just that the recipes all refer to the pressure gauge amount. Since I didn't reread the whole book(s) before starting this time like I did on my earlier sessions, the 1 pound pressure difference didn't register. Totally me!!

By the way, I ordered the pressure gauge yesterday!! Thanks again for the help!!

Archived