MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Butter - Water Bath Canned

As with all this home canning, this apple butter is in the beginning of a 2 day process. I'll describe how I make my apple butter in a crockpot and y'all are free to do as you please.

Apple Butter

6 quarts unsweetened applesauce

2T ground cinnamon

3c sugar

Pour applesauce, cinnamon and sugar into a crockpot, mixing well. Place crockpot on high until applesauce starts to simmer, then place on low and let simmer slowly over night.

(see attached)

108320-HomeCanning213.jpg

We have our own trees so I can't help you with amounts. I just pick bunches and start working.

I do have a little different slant though, if anyones interested. I don't make apple butter any longer since I'm the only one left who eats it but I used cook to mine in my turkey roaster. You can really make a large batch at one time and be done with it.

If I was going to be home and working around the kitchen I'd turn it higher and let the apples cook fairly quickly and get them done. Once they were cooked I'd add my sugar and cinnamon mix well and turn it very low and let it kind of simmer until it was the right consistency. I'd stir at different times as I wandered by making sure it wasn't sticking.

If I was going to be in and out all day and not have time to really mess with it I'd put the apples, cinnamon and sugar on low and just let it simmer similar to a crock pot. Again, I'd stir periodically just to make sure it wasn't sticking. By morning it would be just perfect to put in jars and HWB.

I always add an inch or so of watch under my roaster pan. I don't know if it's necessary but I was told it help to keep things from sticking.

Use sweet apples not pie apples.

sweet apples don't need as much sugar as say 'granny smiths' do, and you want an apple that will ... mush not holds its shape like the granny smith does.

Yeah what they said lol...

For the batch I took pics of, I used unsweetened apple sauce I got at the grocery store. When I get back from Georgia with all my apples, I'll be making it from apples.

Hi ladies, Just FYI it took 38 medium sized Cortland apples to fill up my 5 1/2 quart crockpot with applesauce. I apple peeled, cored, and sliced them with my Pampered Chef corer slicer. Cooked them into sauce and then ground them through my colandar to remove bits and pieces. It's reducing as we speak, so I'll have applebutter by tomorrow. Since it's only 2 Cups shy of Darlene's recipe using 6 quarts I merely shorted the sugar and cinnamon just a little and it tastes good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Down here at our Publix stores, they have their store brand in sweetened and unsweetened. Motts or Musselmans also has unsweetened. I'm not sure what brands your store carries. If all else fails, make some homemade applesauce. I've made over a hundred pounds of it so far and it's really simple. I'm taking pictures and will be posting that later this week.

Quote:
Uhmm. OK here is a dumb question. What is apple butter ? I mean how do you use it. I see it everywhere and I think my grandma made some when I was little. But for the life of me I cant remember. (I guess my memory is the first to go)

Smeared on buttered toasted Raisin Bread is best!! Now where is that diet book? Oh yeah, I ate it with some apple butter!
  • 2 weeks later...