MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fabric-holic! Admit Your Addiction!

cookiejar

do you all have a shrink? like a fabric shrink?

I am so glad I don't have this problem! I am so glad I am a normal sewist.. not like you all with a fabric stash problem

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I have a problem... you all may have a problem... but I don't!

I have a single wide mobile home filled with totes full of fabric. I have a room in my house devoted to sewing machine and sergers and more fabric. I have tote upon tote filled with patterns. I have a sewing room...

look... you might think this is a problem.. but it is not! so there!

Originally Posted By: Leah
'Train table?' MODEL train table? Electric trains?! ...take deep breath, calm down, she probably means something different...
13.gif

NO!
Michael has LOTS of trains!
the big set up now is Lionel O gauge trains but he has n scale layout, a HO layout and G scale too but that one we just set up when we have time to play or take it on the road to visit.
Then our cat have a few too. 2 small HO 'on the floor' layouts and she plays with the Lionel O scale all the time. She even have she own website! Yes you read it right Tobie has a website called 'TOBIES TRAINS' (there is a link from our sit to hers) and seeing we are makiing the layout bigger now there will be updates soon (she has trouble typing in with her paws????

I saw Tobie's trains...I am jealous...pout, pout...All the tables around here have silly old computers and TVs on them. Mean old boy moves home and the trains go away...lower lip sticking out...My trains are in the garage in boxes!

Tobie, can I come over and play with your trains?

Hi.

You won't believe what I did today. *necie clasps her hands behind her back, puts her head down and digs her toes in the dirt* I...ahem...I...*GULP*...OKAY, OKAY! I BOUGHT FABRIC. :darleneswoon:

There, I said it. Now my problem is: I don't SEW. blush So what should I do? Hide it? (That's what I FEEL like doing.)

But it's SOOOOOO kewl! grin

I went to Wal-Mart today and as always, I went to the craft/sewing department and am looking at ALL the yarns-(got a couple of those, too rollingeyes ). And then I see these little bins with little bitty rolls of fabric scraps. And they're all pretty cheap-.50-2.50, and there's these ones that look like guy's plaid shirts-a BUNCH of them-and they're the CHEAPEST ones and I get to thinking about this old comforter I have with rips and stuff in it and these little scraps would make the neatest quilt to cover that old comforter.......yada, yada, yada... I suppose ya'll know what I mean anyhow.

I kinda have 2-maybe 3-choices.

1. Hide it and TRY to forget about it-(not likely to happen).

2. Get myself a sewing machine thangy and try to teach myself to sew.

or.....................

3. *in necie's softest whisper voice* ----- call mom. eek

Perhaps she's calling mom so mom can teach her?

We have beginning sewing classes down at the local community college. Sometimes the Senior Centers teach as well. I like that best, the old ladies know more from decades of doing, than you could believe.

THAT IS IT!! Sorry but yes. I had seen it and then lost it. Thanks I need to post that link to another friend on another forum. You rock westie.

Darlene you cannot say that about westie. That would mean me too. Totally unacceptable.

I tried sewing but I was not good at it and I started that fabric stach thing so I gave it up. Boy was my mother good at that then she started knitting when she died she had so much yarn I was shocked, she had it all over the house and she lived alone.

I would have to say my addiction is kitchen stuff, china, and books.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
chose 1 or 3 and you are a coward! Now 2... that is the ticket! learn a new skill!

Originally Posted By: Leah
Perhaps she's calling mom so mom can teach her?

Exactly Leah.

I've been thinkin' 'bout this.

#1- Would be the easiest AND most cowardly thing to do. So, if you know me at all that's OUT.

#2- Would require bigger gonads than on a T-Rex! If DM found out (which she WOULD-she finds out EVERYTHING) that I got a sewing machine and was learning to sew WITHOUT HER....let's just say...wrath of MOM for the rest of my life--if she let's me live that long.

NONONONO-#2 is OUT.

So......*necie puts head down in defeat*. Call Mom it is. She'll haul one of machines down to me (no doubt the one with all the little do-dads and gadgets and whatchamajiggeys that I'll HAVE to learn how to use) and she'll get me all set up and make me *help* rollingeyes , while standing and looking over my shoulder the WHOLE time. If I'm lucky, this'll only last a few weeks. At the worst it will last until she goes back to Florida-in October. :darleneswoon:

Ok-so now I'm: Necie aka Mommy's New Little Project

*sigh*

lol@Necie

I dont really think it will be all that bad. Is it the faster you learn the quicker she will go back home? Is that the way we need to think of this?

Dont worry. Im in the learning phase too. So far I have made skirts and footless footy pajamas. Next is a dress for one of my daughters.

• 5 months later...

If you STILL haven't opened those five bins since I first posted this list.

If you've added to those five bins!

If you still haven't opened all your patterns

you might be an addict...

still

rofl

What about if - after reading this thread - you realized that lack of fabric is a hole in your preps and started searching out sturdy fabrics and discounted patterns? And what if somewhat later, you 'cleaned out' (gave away) a bunch of kids' craft supplies in order to have room for a 'fabric cabinet'?

Are those problems? blush

Oh, dear...one of you has been looking in my windows, LOL.

Fabric AND Yarn stashes...

We don't have a good fabric store in my town; even the local WM has closed out its sewing dept. Had to go to next town to get DD3 supplies for her home ec class...

After awhile, she looked at me and said, you're having the best time, aren't you, mom?

Yep; just like a kid in a candy store...she had me pegged, that's for sure!

Besides the book aisle,the remnant basket is my favorite part of the store. grin I'm addicted, uh.. I mean I'm practical in always having lots of material on hand. blush I'll get almost any heavy material that's a dollar or less per yard, especially fleece. All my family and friends have recieved fleece blankets, pillows, etc. made from remnants.

I also have one tackle box (never used fro fishing) devoted to buttons, zippers, velcro and notions. Then one large insert devoted to thread sorted by color. I got my favotrite aunt's sewing box after she passed away, my grandmother's and a lot of my mother's sewing notions she no longer uses. Not to be forgotten is the large box insert that's my everyday sewing box with justt he basic colors and small items and the tomato pin cushion. And yes, I do sew. LOL Just by hand tho, I've never had the patience to fight with either one of my two sewing machines, I find hand sewing very relaxing.

Almost forgot, the always growing box of material.

Archived