MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Time Equals Value

Jeepers

The Dane lady from the website I watch sends out a daily email called the Daily Doggy or the other way around. Everyone, including her, gets it mixed up. She chronicles what is going on in her life, the dogs life and what is happening at the farm in general plus other pearls of wisdom she think up. Anyway, this was one of the paragraphs I thought about and thought it was good. The data might be wrong but the meaning is correct.

"In my effort to continue to find fault with the education of our children, I wonder if any school ever equates the cost of something to how long someone had to work for it. If some kid tells their parent he must have $100 sneakers, should he not learn that that equals 13.5 hours of hamburger flipping... time being the only true currency." Carlene White.

Maybe it was timely because son and I just had a discussion about what and how the kids will be taught when GS starts school. It seems with the advent of computers, spelling and grammar no longer mean anything and spell check takes care of everything else. I heard there was another 'new' math they are trying to teach too. A head start lady told my cousin not to bother reading nursery rhymes because they were old fashion. Well, yes they are but some of them were still on tests such as, "In hickory dickory dock, what ran up the clock?" And, "What followed Mary to school." I think reading to a child is very important even if it's a phone book. I don't remember anyone reading those books to me but I do remember the rhymes. I just put Mother Goose and a few other books in my Amazon wish list and as soon as I get enough for free shipping I'm going to order them. Or I just might go to Barns and Nobel next week.

Speaking of books, GS's other grandma buys him books too. When DIL had her baby showers she told everyone to not spend money on a card. She said to buy a book for the baby and sign that instead. I would have never thought of that but baby has a shelf of books already.

RE Carlene's quote...

Reminds me of Laura Engels {sp} Wilder books....Farmer Boy. Young Almonzo's father taught him in just that way.

My DD2 had lots and lots of books for her baby boys too. Yeah, Grma contributed. :wub::reading:

MtRider ...weird how you remember things from......waaaaaaaaay back in childhood.

Speaking of books, GS's other grandma buys him books too. When DIL had her baby showers she told everyone to not spend money on a card. She said to buy a book for the baby and sign that instead. I would have never thought of that but baby has a shelf of books already.

Brilliant idea! :wub::darlenequeen::wub: