MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Twist Ties

If you were in Wal-Mart and needed to buy some twist ties (like the ones on some bread packages or that come with trash bags) which department would you look in?

The only thing I could find was a roll of them in the garden supply area for plants and they are too thick. I'm trying to tame some of the many electronic cords I've accumulated over the years. I'm not throwing them away in case one of the others die on me. It's happened before and I had to buy a new cord.

I figured I'd wind each one up and put a twist tie on it to keep it orderly and then store them all in a small-ish plastic tote. But, I can't find any of them. Mostly because I'm not sure which aisle to look in. I tried the garden and trash bag sections. I suppose I could ask at the service desk but each time I do that I get "the look" and have to explain exactly what I'm looking for and what they are used for. Last time it was garment bags. Sigh. I figured I'd ask here first.

Oh, I tried using rubber bands. They work good but after a couple of years they break down and fall apart. If I store them in the garage they probably wouldn't last that long.

Well if I need more than I save from bread wrappers, I always find mine in the drawer next to the refrigerator --- in my parent's house! :happy0203: They never use the ones that come with their kitchen trash bags.

Another place I find them is in the produce section of the grocery.....and it always takes TWO green twisties to secure a plastic bag of fruit/veggies.....

A florist shop might have a length of some you could cut to measure...

Yanno, it's kinda like asking for zucchini .....they're always around and I save them in a little cup. Ask a neighbor or friend?

OR...you could use the zip-ties [hardware dept, I'd think] . They're getting so popular. Many sizes available or a multi-pac is cheap. You can tediously release the little tongue catching each groove....if you want to take one off. Most people just cut them.

MtRider ....any help in all that? :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

My bread comes with those little plastic disks on it. I thought about zip ties but once they are on...they are on until you cut them off. I don't have the eyesight, hand movements or patience to try to maneuver a little 'find a release' button on a zip. Especially if I need it 6 years from now. I might try our craft stores Monday. I'm making out my errand list so I'll add that to it. I did find them on Amazon. I added them to my wish list but I have to wait until I get $50.00 in there before I get free shipping. I'm up to $6.00. :D

I will look in my drawer beside the fridge though! :008Laughing:

As a second thought, I wouldn't be using them all the time. They are going to be stored away so zip ties might be just the thing. I'm reconsidering...

I like to buy the plastic storage bags that use them. They say "twist tie" instead of "snap and seal" or "zip-lock", usually a gallon size. They're cheaper than the ones that have the easy-seal feature because they are just straight across the top.

I usually find the store name-brand is cheaper. And of course they're in the food storage area with the "Baggies".

And I tend to re-use the ones from other stuff, anyway, and I happen to have a couple wads of the stuck-together twist ties that I'd be happy to mail to you if you want me to. One wad looks like maybe a hundred, and all of them are clean and intact.

Send me a PM (private message) with your info if you want them. :hug3:

In the electronics or crafts sections, there are hook and look tapes that are similar to zip-ties except they can be reused. I am sorry, I don't remember which department I found them in. I am sure I got them at Wal-Mart. I use them to tie up long cords. They can either be caught to each other or they have a slot on one end for the other end to go through. I think there was about 6 of them in a package. Don't remember how much I paid.

Just looked at the walmart website. They are Velcro cable ties.

Several sized packages. They come in different colors which can help if you need to distinguish between types of cables.

Edited by ScrubbieLady

Thank you so much ladies! I wasn't on the computer this weekend so I'm late responding. Migraine. I did go to K-Mart this morning and found a roll of twist ties with a built in cutter thing. It was in the garden area. I also picked up some of the small zip ties in the hardware area. Thanks for all of the ideas and thank you Cat for your offer!

:grouphug: