MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has anyone dehydrated collard greens?

sewandsew

I've dehydrated Kale, splashed with some lemon juice and garlic powder, to use as a great snack. I've also dehydrated Beet Greens which came out great. Collard Greens should dry just as good. You want something that has some substance to it so there is something left after drying.

I've dehydrated mustard greens, bok choy and kale. All are good. I have two kinds of kale, Dwarf Siberian and Dwarf Blue Scotch Curled. The later is delicious raw so I dry it raw. It makes a good crunchy treat. I cook the other greens until fairly well done, like I like to eat them. You don't have to put them out leaf by leaf; you can dry them in small clumps. They rehydrate well.

Furbabymom, The kale I dry raw has small leaves, smaller than the palm of my hand. I lay them out individually. The other type of kale with the large leaves, I chop and cook. Then I put it on the tray in loose, thin globs with space between the globs. I haven't tried stacking them. The bok choy doesn't dry as well as the kale in globs. It has to be spread out much thinner. Experiment with a stack of leaves and see if it drys well in a few hours or overnight.

Thanks for the tips Daylily. I hope if I can garden next year if I get a place that permits it, the dwarf varieties you mentioned might be great for me to grow. I would love to have some dried greens I could just snack on or use in cooking.

• 4 weeks later...

This was my first year dehydrating collard greens. For several years I have dehydrated radish tops, mustard greens and kale. I love putting greens in my soup and these types of greens are so good in winter soups.

Archived