MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Soup - Pressure Canned

Darlene

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I got another question.

First time pressure canning jars. I processed the chicken according to the directions. Apparently 1 or all of the jars boiled over because I can see the chicken oil from the broth on the top of the water in the canner. Is this normal? Will it have an effect on the sealing of the jars?

Wow jewlzm, your jars are absolutely breathtaking! I'm SO excited for you!

You passed with flying colors and I'm very proud of the courage and work you've put into all this.

((((jewlzm))))

No, not to be canned inside the jar with the soup. Flour products interfere with the heat and pressure infiltrating the contents of the jars when processing...not only that, but the pasta turns to mush anyway and tastes bad. But what I do, is later, when one of the children wants some soup, I put some dry noodles in a pot, pour the soup over the noodles and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

The broth cooks the noodles and the noodles absorb the flavor of the soup and it is absolutely awesome!

Well, if I remember correctly, Granny wanted to can ground beef, so I figured we'd do that starting on Monday. At the same time, I think I'm going to go ahead and can some sloppy joes and maybe something else, giving a variety of things you can home can with ground beef.

Wickie I think wanted to do up some Garlic Jam or something like that, so for our waterbath I figured we'd do that, and perhaps another type jam...

Well.................... today was going to be butching day ( 1o hens)but things happen and it didn't happen and now it will be on Tuesday so we will NOT be making the soup this weekend as planned.

But that gives us more time to can other things? like soup stock w/veggies and/or other goodies (clean out the garden and can it time).

see ya all next week...................

Yep, garlic jelly! Yum!

But I'm way behind! Ack! I got the stuff for the salsa today, but my neighbor also wants me to add corn, celery, and beans to it, will the directions for that stay the same?

I'm also going to try to do the chicken soup, using the chicken I had canned during fair (when the freezer stopped freezing!)

Well I didn't get to pressure can with y'all but I did make Darlene's chicken soup for my sick friend. She's cured!

Whew, I'm still feeling the fatigue affects tho. Pray we don't get the *snow* they have predicted for our altitude this weekend. With DH away at a seminar, I don't need the extra duty.

Thanks for the interesting thread and project this week. Yea to all you who did the canning.

MtRider

Archived