MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

GREENS....got a lot..what to do

I've got the opportunity to harvest a LOT of GREENS from my friends garden. We've got the beet greens and steamed/bagged/froze half of those so far. Also have collards, Swiss chard, turnip greens.

ByTheWay.....do NOT let the steamer water run dry while steaming collards..... :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: STINK! And I've spent a lot of quality time scrubbing the stinky black out of the steamer and the pot. Aiieeee!

ANYWAY......

I found this site and plan to make the Greens N Beans soup tonite. I'm reading some of the rest of the information now. Lot of different kinds of greens! DH grew up eating lots of greens from Grma's garden.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/cookinggreens/

http://localfoods.about.com/od/cookinggreens/ss/Types-Of-Cooking-Greens.htm

[sweet potato greens?]

MtRider ...thot I'd share this :cook::lois:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Don't have any recipes but a suggestion for getting the stinky black out of the pot. Sprinkle some baking soda on the black and then pour in HOT water and let set a little bit.

My hubby makes great spaghetti sauce but almost always has a piece of burnt sauce in the middle of the pot he uses. I do this and then simmer the water a bit and the burnt sauce comes out mostly in one piece. The rest of it scrubs fairly easily after setting a bit.

Don't have any recipes but a suggestion for getting the stinky black out of the pot. Sprinkle some baking soda on the black and then pour in HOT water and let set a little bit.

My hubby makes great spaghetti sauce but almost always has a piece of burnt sauce in the middle of the pot he uses. I do this and then simmer the water a bit and the burnt sauce comes out mostly in one piece. The rest of it scrubs fairly easily after setting a bit.

:thumbs: Yep, did exactly that. Also, since it was a stainless steel pot, I could use the SS scrubbie. MUCH better than green sponge scrubbie or SOS pads.

Daylily, I dehydrate blanched [very limp] spinach and crumbled into scrambled eggs or anything..... :yum3: I hope to do same with my other greens....ones without the ...er, smoky flavor. But Koa is eating the smoky collards....likes them! :)

Jeep...I was going to try that last nite but had ALL KINDS of trouble with the horse we've been vetting. Must be feeling better cuz she leaped the fence and ran down the road last nite. So we had to 1) catch her on dark road 2) squirt antibiotics and aloe vera juice in 3 syringe-fulls 3 ) clean, assess and bandage leg wound. Sheeeeeesh! Fortunately leg would wasn't too bad and high enough she doesn't have it constantly muddy crossing creek. Sure didn't slow her down much while DH was trying to grab her halter. .....so I didn't get to try the greens N beans recipe. :twister3:

MtRider .....old folks home is looking pretty durned good.... ;)

(((((((Mt. Rider)))))))

I often think about those 55 and over communities. Especially when my grass needs mowed and son is busy or the snow is hip deep and I'm paying through the nose to get it removed. And this thing breaks and the other thing breaks and if I can figure out how to fix it...I'm not strong enough. And the kids in the neighborhood can be a pain in the patootie. And the teens are loud.

Paying through the nose...that's a weird saying. Seems like I'm always paying through the nose or paying out the a$$ for something these days. Or up the Wazoo.

Edited by Jeepers

mmmmm sweet potato greens. Grew a sweet potato vine in the house last winter, and ate some of those greens. They are delightful - i thought they tasted like a cross between green beans & snap peas. Then....my kitties also tasted them, then ate them right off to the dirt they were planted in! Nice while it lasted, and it seems that it would be a lovely nutritious houseplant....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Kale...we've been enjoying it immensly both in our morning omelet's and in a salad. Today we had a salad of : Chopped Kale, chopped Roma tomatoes, sunflower seeds, shredded cheese, mung bean sprouts, garlic powder, chopped Vidalia onions, course ground black pepper, a dash of mineral salt and topped it with oyster crackers. Wanna see? (Oh, I was half through mine when it dawned on me that I should share a pic with my friends!) (and Ranch dressing!)

post-9087-0-58761100-1436294084_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Watch out for collards. Dogs sometimes have interesting intestinal reactions to significant amounts of collars.

Or maybe it's turnip greens I'm remembering.

Some kind of winter green, crucifer, what-have-you.