MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Looking for info on Grandmother

My Paternal Grandmother was Anna Laura Childers. Don't know any thing about where she was born. Maybe Texas, Okla or the Carolinas. Possibly Native American. I do know she was born around 1898 and died in Salinas, Ca in 1973. She married Charlie Elias Bobo, from Texas, and had 3 children. Raymond died in 1948, Jack, my father born in Okla. 1927 died 2000, and Nancy. No known brothers or sisters or parents info.

I recently found my brother, Jack Jr. I had not seen him since Grandpa Charlies funeral in May 1976. And this was really WEIRD! DH and I moved to southern Oregon March 2013. One day around Halloween, I was putting names of former classmates in Google to see if anyone was still around. I put my brothers name in and he popped up, LIVING IN THE SAME TOWN I JUST MOVED TO!!!!!!! My neighbors probly heard my scream. DH and I drove over to his house 4 or 5 times but nobody home. At Christmas I sent him a card with my phone # and he called 2 days later!

WOW, a lot of catching up to do. It seems what little I know of the family is more than he knows. Our Mom and Dad divorced when I was 2. Mom was preg with my sister. Mom remarried when I was 6. Dad remarried and Jack Jr is 6 years younger than me. I have a photo album with early photos of Grands and Uncle. He has never seen photos of Uncle. And did not even know he has another sister.

So, I'm looking for any help in finding out about our Grandmother. There is no more info on her on Ancestry . com and I come up with nothing. Help, please, and thanks. ...........................pigz

Edited by Pigzzilla

GOODAFTERNOONCHOCKBOARD.gif Pigzzilla,

I went to findagrave site and found this one. Not only is there his name, but, there are two pictures, only of the grave stone and the gate to the cemetery.

Raymond died in 1948

Birth: Sep. 23, 1925
Death: Oct. 4, 1948

Burial:
Garden of Memories Memorial Park
Salinas
Monterey County
California, USA

Created by: Marilyn Diaz
Record added: Jul 04, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 93052514
Raymond Otis Bobo
Added by: Marilyn Diaz

Raymond Otis Bobo

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Bobo&GSfn=Raymond&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1948&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=93052514&df=all&

If you go to rootsweb.com and put the names in that you are looking for you usually can come up with info.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=Childers&stype=Exact&given=Anna&bplace=&byear=&brange=0&dplace=&dyear=1973&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=&mother=&spouse=&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search

I did that with Anna Childers and came up with several things, here is the url and you can check out the several that are there. The first one has Raymond, Jack and Nancy. :)

I hope this helps you.

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Thank you Snowmom, The info on my Grandfather, Charlie, we have had for several years now. Going back to the 1700's. My Grandmother, Anna, remains a mystery. All any one has been able to find is she was born, married Charlie, had 3 kids and died. No one in the family was ever told of her family or history. Her whole life when questioned about her childhood and family, said 'theres nothing to discuss'. My Dad said one time that maybe she was 'a foundling, an Indian baby'. Who knows???

But thank you, maybe someday something will come to light.

There were often children who rode "the orphan train" and were raised by families, but were never legally adopted. The lived their lives under whatever name they could remember or whatever name they were given. I have several ancestors that this scenario seems to have played out. A great-great grandfather that came over from ??? and his parents & sister died enroute, he arrived at 13 and that's all we know about him because he died never telling anyone anything because he didn't know. Also a great grandmother was "taken" from her tribe, placed in a white home to be "americanized" and was given to a man...my great grandfather. Again, she apparently knew nothing of her heritage. So sad...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ancestry account so I looked her up and found lots if info.

Anna was born in Texas 30 Nov 1898 to James Pleasant Childers and Ida Attwood.

She had 4 siblings:

Claude Marion

Sarah Estelle

William Crawford

Harvey Jack

The family moved to Oklahoma around 1910 and she married Charles E Bobo in Ok on

23 Dec 1923

The guy that has posted this info has the Childers line documented back to the 1600's

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/3252234/person/-716108742?ssrc=

Your Great grandparents

James Pleasant Childers

Birth Sep 1871 in Mississippi, USA

Death 9 Apr 1961 in Erick, Beckham, Oklahoma, USA

Ida Atwood

Birth 4 Nov 1875 in Bristol, Ellis, Texas, USA

Death 1964 in Erick, Beckham, Oklahoma, USA

• 1 month later...

Dearest Mello, Thank you so very, very much for the information. I have been down with a nasty cold or 'flu bug' for the last month. Hadn't checked back to Mrs S til now. WOW and thank you so much. I have signed up for Ancestry.com recently. I also followed and printed out the Childers info the man had found. I'm making copies of it all to give my brother a copy. He will be so thrilled! The photo of Harvey Jack Childers shows a strong resemblence to our Dad. WOW!! Again, thank you. This info gives me a way to find out so much more............Piggy hugs........Pigz

• Like 1