MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Medicinal Herbs for a sunny bank

Thank you :AmishMichaelstraw: !

@Daylily good question! I have read that some other plants that have been hybridized, don't retain their usefulness and maybe harmful.

It opened just fine! Thanks so much. Do you know if thornless blackberry leaves work the same and the thorny ones?

Good that it worked!

As to the Blackberry leaves-

The Amish Farm we work at has both and they look the same? BUT we ALL like to pick from the thornless patch so when we have to go pick, the kids race ahead to get there first. One time Lori and I have a plan, we got them to talking and then took off at a run and bet them there!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

by the way..................

That list is one I made for me as it has most of the plants we have here in our 'Herb Bed Garden' which is set up in a sun rays type of pattern. I have posted the 'chart' as an attachment for you to see. I have added a few more herbs since I made that chart but you get the idea. big Rocks make up the 'sun rays' and found bricks outline the path.

Our Herb Garden sits against the house and when the window is open the whole house smells so good. There is also a cat perch on the windowsill and if there is a breeze one of the cats will be right there. She is there now because it just started to rain and that meow is to get me to come look! byeeeeeeeeeeeee

:AmishMichael2:

Herb Garden.doc

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

This takes a while to load but has lots of info:

http://www.crimson-sage.com/medicinal-plants-catalog-2012.pdf

You referred to weeds. Have you identified each of these weeds to make sure you're not trying to crowd out something you might actually want?

Consider purslane, which has an unusual nutrient pattern.

Consider a redbud, if you have the right climate. The shade it casts is lacy enough to not crowd out or shade out the other plants.

Milk thistle and motherwort might work there.

Pennyroyal...but don't feed it to your pregnant rabbits or goat etc.

Lemonbalm. I love lemonbalm.

Horehound. Mullein. Valerian.

Oh, the Russian oregano that you get in cheap seed packets isn't much good for spaghetti sauce, but is good medicinally. I used to use eardrops with it.

I have identified the "weeds". There is the catnip which I want to keep, some coltsfoot I'll keep too. Lots of thistles, I think Canada and bull thistle; another kid that I don't know the exact species.

I've tried to grow redbud here but it won't survive. It grows all over the woods down off the mountain but not up here. There is mullein. I'm not familiar with motherwort or milk thistle. Maybe I should check on the unknown thistle species!!

Thanks for the good ideas!

If you keep the thistles remember that they are a pest plant

and do not let the blooms dry and fly away.

Thistle is a very hot plant and works wonders in a compost pile.

Just make sure is you totally cover the blooms in the compost

as they will mature and go to fluff after you cut them .

Mullien is an excellent remedy for upper respiratory problems.