MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cleaning a Canner

Cool.

Our water is bad. We drink bottled water. I think I will use it instead of tap water in it. I used bottled water in the jars.

This is the first time using an AA with no gasket. I don't think I used enough oil for the seal. It steamed out a couple of places and left stains on the metal to metal seal area. That's why I asked.

I always use vinegar in my canner when I can too. A couple of times when I didn't, with my old canner, it turned out with a blackish stain around the water line. I never was able to get it off.

It also helps to keep the jars from building up that white powdery stuff (calcium?) on them too.

I added some vinegar to my canner too when canning. Helps keep the jars from getting cloudy from hard water.

I just clean my canner with soap and water after it's cooled down to handle. Once it's good and dry, you can pack it with newspaper at the end of the canning season to absorb any odors left over. Also store with the lid flip upside down inside the canner. That's what the manual recommends, plus it saves space and protects the pressure gauge.

Vinegar helps with the water stains. In my area (verrrrry hard water) it also helps keep calcium deposits from fouling the pressure valves. When I get done the water is quite cloudy from precipitated out calcium (and other minerals and stuff in the water). If I saved the water from the basement de-humidifier I suppose I could use that, it is distilled....but vinegar is easier for me). I was taught by my Mom to flip the lid to protect the pressure valve, too. The newspapers help keep the dust out over the storage season, and breathe to keep water condensation from the air from condensing on the metal with the seasonal changes.

Edited by kappydell

Apple cider or white vinegar? And how much?

We kept the box the canner came in. I opened the box, read the book and it said to protect the lid/gauge, plus it is easier to store the square box, in my little house.

Thanks for all the info folks. Helps a lot.

Thanks Twilight.

DH suggested not to use our tap water anymore. We'll take the expense of using bottled water over the crud that was left on the jars and in the canner.

When I washed the canner, none of the stain came out. Before I use it again, I will try vinegar to see if it will come clean. The book says not to use scouring pads because they may damage it. :scratchhead:

My pressure cooker is pitted from our water. After using it 3 times, when we first got it, I quit using tap water in it too. I just wish I would have remembered how bad our water is before using the AA.

I am always cleaning up the cruddy stuff off my jars, pots, pans and out of my other canner. :sigh:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You all!!!!

The vinegar worked! For all intents and purposes. There is still a little bit of residue from our faucet water, but most of the black staining is gone. :cele:

Even the racks are coming clean. They will need more time, but they look so much better.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I'd ruined it.

:bighug2: