MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrator Fun

I think I'm going to look through some of my books of backpacking food and figure out what I can make into meals that would be gluten-free and relatively easy, and go from there. Plus hubby is going to demand jerky at some point if there is a dehydrator in the house...

Way to score CG! When I first got mine I bought tons of frozen veggies from the grocery store and dehydrated those.

:thumbs: and #10 cans of diced tomatoes! When they're dried I grind them up into a tomato powder that I can sprinkle on pizza or focassia bread etc.

Way to score CG! When I first got mine I bought tons of frozen veggies from the grocery store and dehydrated those.

:thumbs: and #10 cans of diced tomatoes! When they're dried I grind them up into a tomato powder that I can sprinkle on pizza or focassia bread etc.

I used to get tomato powder from Whole Foods and use it to season things.

I might need to invest in a small food processor as well, to grind things up.

I'll be firing up one or both of my dehydrators this weekend. We're buying some cases of bell peppers and some bags of onions. I'll use our chop wizard to cut them up. We love to toss dehydrated tomato chunks into our sprout salad. Who needs lettuce when you've got sprouts, real tomatoes, dehydrated tomatoes, sunflower kernels, shredded cheese and ranch dressing! My new sprouts should be done by tomorrow evening. I bought some mung beans today and will sprout some of them in a larger jar for more of our "salad" mix...LOL

Got the dehydrators and trays all washed up and ready to go ... tomorrow. Just had so much going on today that I ran out of steam about an hour ago :-) Vacuum sealed some Mullein (I may undo it since it's supposed to be wonderful for dry hacking coughs!) and some Slippery Elm Bark. Didn't have any. Bought a couple more containers of Yarrow also. Ended up with 3 cases of bell peppers...2 of green and 1 of red. We'll work them up (will use the Vidalia chop wizard) Also 4 bags of white onions. The peppers were $5 a case and the onions were $1 a bag (Amish store). Also picked up a bag of spinach there for $1 and 3 heads of Romaine lettuce for free. Chopped the lettuce up and put it in my VacuCraft contrainers and they'll keep for a week or so in the frig. The sprouts are in a gallon baggie and in the frig too. I need to hunt up my big sprout jar w/lid so I can get the Mung beans started. Also want to sprout some Lentils that I bought some time ago. The coughing is much better today. Mr is much better than I am, but he's the one who "shared" it with me in the first place :-(