MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Steak & potato soup recipe for canning

Found this recipe last year. It is one of those recipes that is better the second time around. I had fixed it in the crock pot and then froze the left over we did not eat. Since this is a soup recipe my husband liked I want to make more, but I would rather can it than freeze.
Is this recipe safe to can as it is using the preparation instructions (so the potatoes don't get overcooked) & processing time for the beef vegetable stew in the Ball Blue Book? I would omit the oil as well to be safe.

http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/2010/09/19/steak-and-potato-soup/

I'm NOT a canning expert. But safety guidelines are that you don't can starches [potatoes, rice, pasta, etc] with anything else. Especially meat. The reason is that it THICKENS the product. That means it's harder to heat to the temperature needed to kill all microbes...especially toward the center of the jars. That means....it messes up the usual instructions for canning. It's safe to can starches like potatoes in their own separate jars...with their own canning instructions. At meal time, you can add them together in the pot to heat.

That's what I remember from all the :canning: discussions.

Anyone else chime in on this?

MtRider :unsure:

I've canned chicken noodle soup using the teensy tiny slivers of pasta that am able to buy at one of the Mennonite stores we shop at. (check out Janie Pendleton's youtube videos). I've canned just about everything. As with all canning...CYA for yourselves and follow the rules ... look, sniff and tiny taste :-) The only thickeners I use are Permfor (or Clear Gel) for thickeners, not cornstarch. PS...be aware that all spices will intensify when canned, and sage will overwhelm everything (so don't use it!)

Edited by The WE2's

I watch Janie's channel too. That's where I decided to vacuum seal my cookies. They have those tiny fine noodles at my grocery store. They are the store brand...Giant Eagle. I wondered if they would go to 'mush' after sitting in the broth for a few months? Don't know. I saw on one channel where the person put a little bit of rice (1-2 Tab.) in her quart jar before canning Chicken and Rice soup and it looked so good. There was just a little bit of rice floating in the soup. I don't know.

Mt.Rider, I don't think it's the starch that is the problem. It's the swelling up that causes the denseness problem.

Daelith, I wouldn't have a problem canning that. I'd just make sure it's about half and half of liquid to soup ratio.

The issue is VISCOSITY. All types of starches increase viscostity.

The article posted below IS NOT the clearest reference because it isn't talking about "potatoes". But it is the natural starch in those foods like potatoes, rice, etc that change the viscosity .....and THAT changes how the heat is able to permeate from the water outside the jar to the innermost part of the food product inside the jar. And if that heat DOES NOT REACH CORRECT LEVELS..... you risk not killing all the microbes.

:canning:

The RED BOLD in the article is mine.....since most of the article, as I said, is not really addressing this topic of NATURAL STARCHES, but it does address the principle I'm talking about.

http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservation/news/2012/modified-food-starches

Modified Food Starches

Posted: October 12, 2012

Modified food starches are available in bulk food stores and in some grocery stores that have a bulk food section.

These and similar products are used widely in the commercial food industry and are listed on the ingredient label as modified starch. Some of the characteristics of these products make them desirable for use by home food preservers.

Starches are added to foods to thicken them. ClearJel®, Instant ClearJel®, and ThermFlo® are thickening agents that are the most widely available starch products for home food preservers.

Starch products, modified or regular, should not be added to home canned products unless it is called for in a scientifically tested recipe, and then it should only be used in the amount specified. Do not use them to thicken soups you plan to can.

ClearJel works well with acidic ingredients, tolerates high temperatures, does not weep during storage, but breaks down if frozen and thawed. It works well in preparing canned pie filling because the sauce remains thin during processing to allow heat to penetrate the jar completely and safely. The filling thickens in the jar after jars are removed from the canner. It is the only thickener recommended by the USDA for use in home canning. Care should be taken not to exceed specified amounts of thickener in canning recipes because excess starch can create heat penetration problems during processing and cooling. ClearJel is not designed for freezing. This type of ClearJel is sometimes referred to as regular ClearJel to distinguish it from the instant type.

Instant ClearJel, a pre-gel starch, is already cooked. It is freezer stable. It also tolerates high temperatures and gradually increases in thickness during heating. It may be frozen before or after cooking. When baking with Instant ClearJel, increase the oven temperature and reduce the baking time to prevent “oven boil out”. Bake or freeze products with Instant ClearJel soon after preparation to avoid thinning of the product by enzymes on standing. Instant ClearJel is excellent for use in fruit pies to be frozen before or after baking. Because Instant ClearJel thickens without cooking, it is not suitable for canned pie fillings.

ThermFlo provides good body and works well in high or low acid foods. ThermFlo has the strongest freeze-thaw stability of these starches. It tolerates high temperatures and long processing times. ThermFlo is an acceptable alternative to use in canned pie fillings because it is also stable during heating and exhibits about the same viscosity during heating as regular ClearJel. It also has the added advantage of holding up well during storage.

How are modified starches added to food products? ClearJel and ThermFlo are used the same way cornstarch is; Mix in a small amount of cold water or sugar to separate starch granules before adding to a larger volume. Instant ClearJel is blended with sugar before being combined with liquid; then the fruit and any other ingredients are added. Cooking Instant ClearJel increases the thickness of the product. All these products show their maximum thickness (viscosity) upon cooling.

Modified starches can be used in place of flour or cornstarch in thickening milk sauces and gravy, but they will appear thinner because maximum viscosity occurs when the product cools. If the sauce or gravy is to be frozen, modified starches overcome curdling and separation problems. Stirring during reheating helps to keep the product smooth.

Although not a modified food starch, arrowroot and tapioca starch can also be used to thicken products for freezing and they yield satisfactory freeze-thaw results.

In some areas of the country, modified food starches may be available by other names. Find out the properties of a particular starch before using it in home canned products. You may be able to get this information from the manufacturer, or your nearest extension office may be able to help you.

Daelith, I wasn't sure what you meant by "Is this recipe safe to can as it is using the preparation instructions (so the potatoes don't get overcooked) & processing time for the beef vegetable stew in the Ball Blue Book?"

Personally I would be very careful in changing any ingredient that could thicken [increase viscosity] the product more than the Ball Book instructions. Theirs have been rigorously tested to make sure heat got all the way thru each ingredient. Their instructions/measurements have taken into account, the increased viscosity of adding potatoes. Their canning times reflect that increase.

What is actually different in the recipe you like....just seasoning or ingredients? Are you using the same proportions of meat/tater/onion/carrot...whatever? Cuz that matters.

MtRider ...wish Violet was still here....

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm NOT a canning expert. But safety guidelines are that you don't can starches [potatoes, rice, pasta, etc] with anything else. Especially meat. The reason is that it THICKENS the product. That means it's harder to heat to the temperature needed to kill all microbes...especially toward the center of the jars. That means....it messes up the usual instructions for canning. It's safe to can starches like potatoes in their own separate jars...with their own canning instructions. At meal time, you can add them together in the pot to heat.

That's what I remember from all the :canning: discussions.

Anyone else chime in on this?

MtRider :unsure:

This is what I was responding to when you mentioned STARCHES. You can can meat and potatoes together. There are recipes for it in the Ball Blue Book.

Yeah, sorry Jeep. That was not accurate. Back years ago when we discussed canning a lot on MrsS, there was a lot of discussion about just canning 'starch foods' separately so there would be no chance of error..... if you were not using a standard Blue Ball recipe. I just stuck that in my head to be safe.

MtRider :canning:

Mt. Rider - By preparation, I meant that I would not cook it completely as if I was going to serve it that evening. BBB recipe has you cover the combined ingredients with boiling water, then bring all that to a boil. Then can it.

I'd have say the seasoning is better in the recipe above. The stew in BBB was just so bland.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I think I will probably try Jeepers' suggestion on the half and half ratio. When I get around to trying this, I will let ya'll know the results.

Edited by Daelith