MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tamales

Has anyone canned homemade tamales? I make pretty decent tamales and think canning them would be better than freezing. Don't care for them after being frozen. Thanks...........pigzzilla

One thing learned here is not to confuse cooking recipes with canning recipes. Your homemade tamales are a "cooking" recipe. Canning recipes also cannot contain any dairy or grain products. Even the corn husks and lard, if used, would be issues. I think you might want to stick to freezing.

ACK!!! STARCH!!! ;)

Run away!!!

I have been learning that we can't can starch!! The masa would be baaaaaad to put in the jars...you might could find a safe recipe for canning the filling, then use it to make your tamales...to take a step out of the process...

Make sure it's safe, though!

1 pound pork butt roast meat, cubed

2 cups water

1 onion, chopped fine

1 clove garlic, chopped fine

1 bay leaf

salt and lots of black pepper

1 dried red pepper

This is a simple tamale filling recipe I found. Once cooked, could it be canned? Seems like it would be good for tamales or any number of other recipes.

Please, for your safety, learn to stick with safe publications or websites for canning recipes. Trying to can things off the top of your head or from people who have no food preservation safety training is really dangerous.

Nothing like a tamale would be safe to can.

You could can the meat and have it ready to add to your other ingredients for a quick meal.

Archived