MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Set our SunOven out today with my granite pot full of soapy water and a touch of vinegar while we took a motorcycle ride (3-4 hours) and came back to Homestead to boiling water fit for a king! LOL All I gotta do now is wipe it out again and it'll be ready for use this maybe tomorrow IF it doesn't rain. It's supposed to rain tonight & tomorrow so if it does, I won't get to put my roast in it like I planned to. I like to use it on weekends when Mtn.Man is available to help set up the table etc. but may just go ahead and do it myself Monday (if it doesn't rain). Looking forward to a "slow cooked" roast with veggies that's "off the grid".

Cool, I think that I will be purchasing a SunOven myself soon. Emergency Essentials has a good sale right now. Unfortunately, I unexpectedly had to put new tires on the car . . .

It's always something!

Well it certainly did rain first part of day, so we made use of the time by making a "day trip" to a huge farmer's market in a major city and a couple of other stops. So, actual solar cooking will have to wait until tomorrow...?

• 11 months later...

Been awhile since I used my solar oven, but will be taking it with us when we help CGA get her "boots on the ground" :-) Figure I'll put on a pot of ham & beans day 1, a chicken for day 2, a roast for day 3 and a tenderloin for day 4 so it will all be cooking while we work. But...I'll keep my menu open since I'll be doing solar cooking. Taking camera so we'll be able to share :-)

I love crockpot cooking cuz once you put it in, you can forget it. Just did a beef roast that way yesterday. But being concerned about losing our electricityI think I'll make another attempt at solar thru a homemade box. Nothing fancy on the menu at first....and I'll wait till the SNOWSTORM clears. :rolleyes: You've inspired me, We2 and I can nearly smell those meals from here!

MtRider :feedme:

CGA's plans have been postponed for this weekend, and next weekend we can't go because I have an important doctors appointment on the 27th :-( All involved are trusting God to bring this all to a successful move and everybody's calendars will come together, even if it's later than we wanted or anticipated. :pray:

• 1 year later...

I was reminded of this thread today while watching the news. They were testing the heat radiating off the ground, cars, cement, etc. Hottest temperatures were radiating off the dry grass, sidewalk, and vehicles..... 174*F !!!

We have fried an egg in about 7 minutes when we left the cast iron frying pan sit in the sun for an half an hour.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to do some dehydrating. I have to be careful not to over do it. It doesn't take very long at all.

Looking forward to hearing what you are cooking, The WE2's.

• 3 weeks later...

Solar Cooking in my SunOven. Just put two frozen chicken thighs, two potatoes and several sweet peppers along with some salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder into my SunOven. I opened it up to "warm" it up and by the time I had my pot ready to put in I gave myself a scorch from the inside tray! LOL So it's plenty hot (like 300 or so?) in about 10 minutes. Won't take long to have our supper cooked, and it's nice to know I didn't add any water or oil, and it won't burn. I always use my granite ware or for baking, I have a dark amber glass loaf pan. I'll post a pic now of the frozen and raw foods, and then when it's done I'll post another. Wanna see?

post-9087-0-94054300-1436800624_thumb.jpg

OK, here's the done deal! Was awefully nice to have supper complete when MrWE2 came in from a work project, and left my stove free for some canning :-) Middle picture was the "before", then the finished, and of course...on my plate and fork! :-) The sweet peppers got a bit "charred" on the top side, but still tasted wonderful! Wanna see?

post-9087-0-16769200-1436836625_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-04574600-1436836639_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-21335600-1436836649_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

I am seriously drooling. I was trying to wait to eat with DH, who's coming home late. Nope...that blew it! :feedme:

[i have scalloped taters, with slices of zuke/yellow squash, onions, ham....cooked in regular oven in Grma's old "bean pot" ...aka dutch oven]

MtRider ...that was really quite inspirational, WE2!!!! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • 9 months later...

Cast iron is not generally recommended for solar ovens because, I imagine, it takes a long time for them to get warmed up. Once warm, they would certainly maintain the heat easily....or so I would guess. :shrug:

If I had one, I'd probably use my cast iron dutch oven. Need a long sunny day and we've not had that in a while. Could begin the heating up in the oven, then switch to the solar oven???? :scratchhead:

Anyone else know about this? I've done the "hay box" cooking more than this.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Cast iron is not generally recommended for solar ovens because, I imagine, it takes a long time for them to get warmed up. Once warm, they would certainly maintain the heat easily....or so I would guess. :shrug:

If I had one, I'd probably use my cast iron dutch oven. Need a long sunny day and we've not had that in a while. Could begin the heating up in the oven, then switch to the solar oven???? :scratchhead:

Anyone else know about this? I've done the "hay box" cooking more than this.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Cast iron is a no-no. Way too heavy for the structure of a sun oven...at least we think so. Ours is the SunOven All American (pretty well top of the line) and I just don't think the little tray that you set your pan on would carry the weight. I use ONLY granite ware pots or dark colored cake/loaf pans. Somthing that heats up quickly so your food doesn't spoil before it gets done.

Something that heats up quickly so your food doesn't spoil before it gets done.

HA! That's what I wasn't remembering. Knew there was something! Thanks, WE2! Important point. Even if your solar oven is homemade and sturdy enough.....you'd STILL have to heat up the cast iron before putting it out there. Or...just use the dark colored granite ware, as recommended.

MtRider :thumbs: