MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

foragers' calendar

This week I finished my 'foragers calendar'. I am tired of spotting patches of edible weeds when they are past their prime, and no longer worth gathering for preservation or eating. So I made up a month by month calendar of what should be STARTING to appear or is in season for my part of the country. Then I added game and fish seasons, with an emphasis on those that are not protected and have liberal bag limits. Hopefully in this way I will start looking for those things at the beginning of the season, when they are in their prime, and can locate and plot 'picking patches' that are close by and safe for the taking/eating/preserving.

This month's items (March)

plants:Asparagus, Cattail shoots, Chickweed, Dandelions, Garlic Mustard, Milkweed shoots, Mustards (spp), Shaggy Mane (mushroom), Sheep Sorrel, Stinging nettles, Wild violets

Bedstraw fruits, Bracken Fern, Burdock, Chicory (basal leaves, crowns, roots), Clover, Bedstraw, Evening Primrose shoots, Peppergrass Leaves, Prickly Lettuce, Shepherds Purse, Sowthistles, Wild Rose (shoots), Winter Cress (Barbarea Vulg.), Amaranth, Bladder Campion, Curled Dock, Goats Beard, Lambsquarter, Mallow, Plantain, Quickweed, Marsh Marigold, Day Lily (tubers, buds), Wild Onions, Thistle roots, Catnip leaves

fish: Bass; rock, yellow, striped or white - no limits; Panfish - no limits; Bullheads - no limits; Catfish, channel or flathead- limit 10; Cisco, whitefish-total 25 lb

game: Coyote, no limit; Feral Hogs no limit; Unprotected species - Starling, sparrows, chukar partridge, coturnix quail, porcupines, possum, skunk, weasel, showshoe hare, pigeons

Now I have to finish compiling my recipe collection for these practically-free-for-the-taking foods!

Bedstraw is edible? This is the weed that sticks to you as you walk by and has the little brown balls that get into animal fur when it dries out? We have massive amounts of that growing here now. Pull it up everyday to give to the chickens. I have to use gloves because I get an itchy rash when it touches me.

Edited by dogmom4

I think a medicinal tea can be made from it, Dogmom. but if you are irritated by it, I would not consume it, too risky for allergic reaction possibilities unless that is the nature of the plant, which I would research further to find out.

That is an excellent idea, a foraging calendar, which will be different in my area. Do you still have melting snow going on , there in your area of Wisconsin, kappydell?

I certainly do.

Yes, in the shady areas we still have some snow, and there is still ice in the low areas. We were unusually fortunate to have missed the piles and piles of snow that fell in other areas this last month. So in the melt areas I am looking for early dandelion greens and marking where the wild mustard is starting to come up. I usually forget to look for them until the flowers are showing, and they are starting to get bitter then (hence the calendar). I will have to work up one for Alabama for the wintertime, so if we go down there I can continue picking.

Bedstraw shoots & leaves are edible when very young in salad, and the seeds are roasted for a coffee-like drink. I haven't tried the fruits yet. Of course, anything can cause a reaction, so you try only a teensy bit at first....and avoid them if they disagree. I'd avoid any that give me a rash (except nettles since that is what they are supposed to do).

Also I have found there is a big difference between 'edible' and 'delicious'. For example, I've eaten plantain, but it did not have a lot of flavor and the texture (cooked) was sort of like cooked seaweed, so I use it now only to stuff with ground beef & rice, in little appetizer packets. (And I pick it young before it gets those 'pita' strings.) Otherwise I use it for its medicinal uses. Chickweed was also rather bland for eating, but is renowned for its skin healing properties, as well as being excellent for birds (hence the name).

Edited by kappydell

Dang, now I hafta go find a patch of cleavers so I can report back how the greens taste. The coffee isnt bad. (I think there are some in the yard, as my dogs' coat will attest.) I already have a recipe that does sound interesting....

CHICKEN CURRY WITH CLEAVERS (1 serving)

1/2 to 1 c chicken, cubed

1 clove garlic

1 small onion, sliced

butter or oil

salt

curry powder

extra cayenne if you like it hot

1/2 cup water

3 tomatoes

1 cup cleavers leaves

Separately chop onions, garlic, and tomatoes and set aside separately (coffee cups work for me). In a skillet, stir fry chicken in oil or butter until nicely brown. Remove chicken set aside. In skillet, add a little more oil, and fry onions and garlic a few minutes. Add spices to taste and cook another minute. Toss in the chicken, tomatoes, water and salt. Heat to a boil, cover and lower heat to very low. Simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 30-45 minutes until chicken is very tender. Raise the heat and gradually stir in the cleavers leaves, cooking them in the remaining liquid. Cook and stir until most cooking liquid is absorbed or evaporated. Remove from heat, adjust seasonings to tste. Serve over rice or potatoes.

I have another one that pairs lentils and cleavers, for those days I abstain from meat - it also uses curry as a flavor. I love curry - it is warming but not burning hot on my ulcers (if I watch out for the cayenne) but my question would be does the curry flavor hide the taste of the greens or enhance it? This might work for a lot of different kinds of greens. Hmmmm.....

Edited by kappydell

This 'bedstraw', is that the same as 'beggerlice'? Triangular sticky things. As a girl, mother would pick them off my socks and dress bottom, dry them by slow low heat roasting, run them through a squeeze desheller, and cook them like oats. It was used like wheet germ. I do not remember as a tea. Anybody got a botannical name for me to cross reference?

Too bad we cannot hurry up Spring in some of our regions, kappydell. We just have to be patient. It will be several weeks before most of the foraging can really get started here, but its verdant then til September about. Right now the maple sugar collection just got its start on my street. Bare ground appears but its been very cold the last 36 hours or so and only slowly warming up today as it is. At least it is already slightly warmer than yesterdays top temps. Clear blue skies here at least. I still cannot rule another snow storm in the coming two weeks for my neighborhood either. Feels like we are being pressed beyond all stretches of patience, doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

APRIL'S FORAGE FOODS

Plants: amaranth, arrowhead tubers, asparagus, bedstraw shoots, bladder campion, bracken fern, burdock, catnip, cattail shoots, chickweed, chicory, clover, curled dock, dandelions, day lily (tubers & shoots), evening primrose shoots, fireweed shoots, goats beard leaves and roots, mallow plants, marsh marigold, mints, milkweed, mustards, nettles, peppergrass, prickly lettuce, sheep sorrel, shepherd's purse, sowthistle, wild violets, wild roses, assorted mushrooms

Game: beaver, mink, muskrat, otter, crow, wild boar, chukar partridge, cuternix quail, pigeons, porcupine, possum, skunks, showshoe hare

Fish: Rough fish (bullheads, burbot, lawyer, carp, catfish, cisco, whitefish, drum, redhorse, suckers)

Panfish: (bluegills, black & white crappies, green sunfish, orange sunfish, pumpkinseed, warmouth, yellow perch)

crayfish, northern pike (size 26 inches, limit 2), smelt, trout (9 inches, limit 3)

Hope I found all the typos, I am doing this on a teeny net-book computer and my fingers don't fit the keys very well! :bounce:

i like the petersen field guides myself...

'petersen's field guide to edible wild plants of eastern and central north america' is excellent.

it documents poisonous look alikes and tells you how to avoid them, and in the back it cross references edible plants by season, habitat, and 22 different ways they can be prepared. Photos and drawings are excellent - highly detailed with specific identifying characteristics diagrammed. if i could have only one book, that would be my choice. Amazon has it now for $12.20 paperback (new) and $9.43 (used).

Edited by kappydell
  • 1 month later...

May Forage Foods

Plants:

Amaranth, arrowroot tubers, asparagus, bedstraw shoots, bracken, burdock, bladder campion, boysenberries, catnip, cattail (shoots, stems, flowers & roots), chickweed, chicory, cherries, clover, curly dock, dandelion, daylily shoots, evening primrose shoots, fireweed buds, gooseberries, goatsbeard, lambsquarters, mint, milk weed buds, mushrooms, mustard, mallow, nettles, prickly lettuce, purslane, quick weed, sweet fern, wild onions, wild violet shoots, wintercress bud clusters

Fish:

Rough Fish: bass (rock, white, yellow), bullheads, burbot, lawyer, catfish, cysco, whitefish, suckers, red horse, carp, drum, bowfin, gar

Pan Fish: sunfish, bluegill, crappies, yellow perch, warmouth

Game & limited fish:

Bass (large & smallmouth) limit 5,

Crayfish, frogs, muskellunge (40) limit 1, norther pike (26) limit 2, smelt, trout (9) limit 3, Walleye/Sauger/Hybrids (15) limit 5 total

Game:

Unprotected Species:

chukar partridge, Couternix quail, Feral hogs, Pigeons, Porcupines,

Possum, Rock doves, Rock pigeons,

Showshoe hare, Skunk, Sparrows,

Starlings, Weasel

Protected/seasonal: none

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Caught my first 'redhorse' (fish) last week. Gorgeous fish - gold backs, silver bellies, red fins, pouty mouths. They are a sucker type fish, with Y-bones, so they are best canned (supposed to taste like tuna) or pickled to dissolve those things. I pickled mine, they were delicous! A roug fish so there are no size or quantity limits on them. As one blogger I read the other night wrote...game fish are nice, but its the rough fish that feed the family! These were delicious!

Edited by kappydell

The Lambs Quarter rooted very well, and are growing. The Winter Onions are doing excellent. The Sun Chokes (Jerusalem Artichokes) are about 18" tall :-) Gonna just leave them be to do their thing :-)

• 1 year later...
FORAGE CALENDAR FOR WISCONSIN

JANUARY

Plants: arrowhead tubers, cattail roots, evening primrose root, Jerusalem Artichokes, winter cress, yellow pond lily root

Game, Unprotected: wild boars, starlings, sparrows, chukar partridge, couternix quail, pigeions, possum, skunk, weasel, porcupines, snowshoe hare, rock pigeons

Game, In Season: beaver, bobcat, raccoon, fax, coyote, mink, muskrat, otter, squirrel, cotton tail rabbits, crow, ruffed grouse, wolf

Fish: Bass, bullheads, burbot, lawyers, catfish, cysco, whitefish, suckers, redhorse, carp, drum, bowfin, gar; sunfish, bluegills, crappies, yellow perch, warmouth.

Game fish: Northern pike, at least 26 inches, limit 2/day; walleye, sauger or hybrids, 15 inches minimum, limit 5/day; small mouth or large mouth bass, limit 5/day; trount at least 9 inches, limit 3; smelt and crayfish.

FEBRUARY

Plants: arrowhead tubers, cattail roots, evening primrose roots, Jerusalem artichokes, winter cress, yellow pond lily root

Game, Unprotected: Boar, chukar partridge, couternix quail, pigeons, possum, porcupine, skunk, sparrow, starlings, snowshoe haire, weasel, rock pigeon

Game, In Season: Beaver, cottontail, rabbit, crows, fox, mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, solf

Fish: Rock, white, or yellow bass; bullheads, burbot, bowfin, carp, catfish, cysco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish; Panfish-bluegills, crappies, sunfish, warmough, yellow perch, crayfish, smelt;

Game fish: Large or smallmouth bass, limit 5; Northern pike 26 inches minimum, limit 2; Trout 9 inches minimum limit 3; walleye, sauger & hybrids 15 inches minimum, limit 5

MARCH

Plants: Asparagus, arrowhead tubers, amaranth leaves, bedstraw shoots, bladder campion, bracken ferns, burdock, cattail shoots, catnip, chickweek, chicory, clover, curled dock, dandelion, day lily shoots & tubers, evening primrose shoots, fireweed shoots, goatsbeard leaves and roots; mallow, marsh marigold leaves, milkweed shoots, mint leaves, mustard, nettles, peppergreass leaves, prickly lettuce, sheep sorrel, shepherds purse, sowthistle young leavves, wild rose shoots, wild violets.

Game, unprotected: boar, chukar partridge, rock pigeon, couternix quail, pigeons, possum, porcupines, skunk, sparrows, starlings, snowshoe hare, weasel

Game, In season: Beaver, crow limit 5, mink, muskrat, otter

Fish: rock, white, yellow bass, bullheads, burgot, bowfin, carp, catfish, cysco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey; panfish: bludgills, crappies, sunfish, warmough, yellow perch, crayfish, smelt

Game fish: trout 9 inch minimum limit 3

APRIL

Plants: Asparagus, arrowhead tubers, amaranth leaves, bedstraw shoots, bladder campion, bracken ferns, burdock, cattail shoots, catnip, chickweek, chicory, clover, curled dock, dandelion, day lily shoots & tubers, evening primrose shoots, fireweed shoots, goatsbeard leaves and roots; mallow, marsh marigold leaves, milkweed shoots, mint leaves, mushrooms, mustard, nettles, peppergreass leaves, prickly lettuce, quickweed, sheep sorrel, shepherds purse, sowthistle young leavves, wild rose shoots, wild violets.

Game, unprotected: boar, chukar partridge, rock pigeon, couternix quail, pigeons, possum, porcupines, skunk, sparrows, starlings, snowshoe hare, weasel

Game, protected: Turkey season

Fish, rough: gass (rock, white, yellow) , burbot, bowfin, bullheads, carp, catfish, cycsco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey

Fish, panfish: bluegill, crappies, sunfish, warmough, yellow perch

Restricted/game fish: crayfish, smelt, trout (9 inch minimum) limit 3

MAY

Plants: Asparagus, arrowhead tubers, amaranth leaves, bedstraw shoots, bladder campion, bracken ferns, burdock, boysenberries, cattail stems, sprouts, flowers, roots; catnip, chickweek, chicory, clover, curled dock, dandelion, day lily shoots, dandelion, evening primrose shoots, fireweed buds, goooseberries, mallow, lambs quarters, milkweed buds, mint leaves, mushrooms, mustard, nettles, prickly lettuce, purslane, quickweed, sweet fern, wild onion, wild violet shoots, winter cress bud shoots

Game, protected: Turkey season

Fish, rough: bass (rock, white, yellow) , burbot, bowfin, bullheads, carp, catfish, cycsco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey

Fish, panfish: bluegill, crappies, sunfish, warmouth, yellow perch

Restricted/game fish: crayfish, smelt, trout (9 inch minimum) limit 3, muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; large or smallmouth bass 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species

JUNE

Plants: burdock leaves, stalk, stems; bedstraw fruits; catnip; cattail; cherries; chicory; clover; curly dock; dandelion root or flowers; figs; goatsbeard; gooseberries; lambsquarters; mallow leaves; milkweed flower buds; mint; monarda leaves and flowers; nettle; prickly lettuce; plantain; purslane; quickweed' raspberries' sheep sorrel; sweet fern leaves; wild rose leaves; wintercress buds; yarrow leaves.

Game, unprotected: boar, chuckar partridge, couternix quail, pigeons, possum, porcupine, skunk, sparrow, starlings, snowshoe hare, weasel

Game, protected: none in season

Fish, rough: bass (rock, white, yellow) , burbot, bowfin, bullheads, carp, catfish, cycsco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey

Fish, Game, other: smelt, crayfish, trout (9 inch min) limit 5; muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; large or smallmouth bass 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species

JULY

Plants: blackberries, bedstraw fruit, blueberries, burdock leaves/stalk/strems, catnip, cattail plikes, cherries, chickweed, chicory root, clover, curly dock, dandelions, elderberries, goatsbeard, fireweed buds, figs, gooseberries, lambsquarters, mallow leaves, monarda leaves/flowers, milkweed pods, mint, plantain, purslane, quickweed, raspberries, sheep sorrel, sweet ferns, thistle roots/stems, wild rose leaves, yarrow leaves

Game, unprotected: boar, chuckar partridge, couternix quail, pigeons, possum, porcupine, skunk, sparrow, starlings, snowshoe hare, weasel

Fish, Game, other: smelt, crayfish, trout (9 inch min) limit 5; muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; large or smallmouth bass 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species, snapping turtles (12-16 inch size) unlimited

AUGUST

Plants: apples, blackberries, blueberries, bnuffaloberries, burdock leaves/stalks/ stems, catnip, cattail, chickweed, chicory root, cherries, clover leaves, curly dock, dandelion root, fireweed buds, goatsbeard roots, figs, gooseberries, huckleberries, lambsquarters, mallow leaves, mushrooms, mustard buds, milkweed pods, mint leaves, monarda leaves/flowers, plantain, purslane, quickweed, pine nuts, raspberries, sheep sorrel, sweet fern leaves, tansy, thistle root, walnuts, wild grapes, yarrrow

Fish, Game, other: smelt, crayfish, trout (9 inch min) limit 5; muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species, snapping turtles (12-16 inch size) unlimited

SEPTEMBER

Plants: arrowhead tubers, apples, blackberries, black walnuts, buffalo berries, cattail roots, chicory root, chickweed, chestnuts, chokecherries, dandelion root, elderberries, english walnuts, evening primrose roots, figs, ginko nuts, goatsbeard, jerusalem artichokes, mint, mushrooms, pine nuts, plantain, prickly pears, purslane, rose hips after first frost, sheep sorrel, sunflower seed hulls, sumac fruits, winter cress leaves, wild grapes, yellow pond lily roots, highbush cranberries after first frost

Game, protected/seasonal: cottontail rabbits, crows, jmourning doves, ruffed grouse, turkey, teal, woodcodk, canada goose, bear

Fish, Game, other: smelt, crayfish, trout (9 inch min) limit 5; muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species, snapping turtles (12-16 inch size) unlimited

OCTOBER

Plants: arrowhead tubers, apples, acorns, black walnuts, cattail roots, chicory root, chickweed, chestnuts, crabapples, dandelion root, english walnuts, evening primrose roots, goatsbeard, jerusalem artichokes, mint, mushrooms, persimmons, plantain, prickly pears, purslane, rose hips after first frost, sheep sorrel, sunflower seed hulls, sumac fruits, winter cress leaves, wild grapes, highbush cranberries after first frost, winter cress, quickweed

Game, protected/seasonal: bear, turkey, wolf, duck, woodcock, geese, bobcat, bobwhite quail, cottontail robbits, coyote, crow, fox, gray partridges, grouse, mourning doves, mink, muskrat, pheasant, raccoon, squirrel, canada goose

Fish, Game, other: smelt, crayfish, trout (9 inch min) limit 5; muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species

NOVEMBER

Plants: arrowhead tubers, cattail, chestnuts, chickweed, crab apple, dandelion root, jerusalem artichokes, pecans, persimmons, purlane, quick weed, mushrooms, sheep sorrel, sumac, wild onions, winter cress, wood sorrel, yellow pond lily root, evening primrose roots

Game, protected/seasonal: beaver, turkey, wolf, duck, woodcock, geese, bobcat, bobwhite quail, cottontail rabbits, coyote, crow, fisher, fox, gray partridges, grouse, mourning doves, mink, muskrat, pheasant, otter, raccoon, squirrel, canada goose

Fish, rough: bass (rock, white, yellow) , burbot, bowfin, bullheads, carp, catfish, cycsco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey, smelt

Fish, Game, other: large and smallmouth bass limit 5, muskellunge (40 inches minimum)limit l, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species, snapping turtles 23-26 inch shell only

DECEMBER

Plants: arrowhead tubers, chestnuts, cattail roots, evening primrose 1st year roots, jerusalem artichokes, winter cress, yellow pond lily roots

Game, protected/seasonal: beaver, turkey, wolf, duck, deer, bobcat, bobwhite quail, cottontail rabbits, coyote, fisher, fox, gray partridges, grouse, mink, muskrat, pheasant, otter, raccoon, squirrel, white fronted goose

Fish, rough: bass (rock, white, yellow) , burbot, bowfin, bullheads, carp, catfish, cycsco, drum, gar, lawyer, redhorse, suckers, whitefish, lamprey, smelt

Fish, Game, other: large and smallmouth bass limit 5, northern pike (26 inches minimum) limit 2, walleye,sauger or hybrids (15 inches minimum) 5 total; frogs no limit unless rare species,

Here is the whole year. I am amazed at the variety of foods available at any season, if one knows where they are and how to get them.

Edited by kappydell

I love your list, and salute you for putting it together.

I've started a calendar like this many times, but haven't been able to follow through for the full year. While there is SOMETHING always available, I don't have it charted to optimize the diet for right now while protecting my ability to eat as well next week and a few months down the road. This might be what I need to do for this coming year. Fast away the old year passeth, and I need to let some of my weaknesses pass with it.