MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Finished removing all the rings, washing all the jars with hot soapy water, drying them off, labeling them and putting them back in their divider box to be taken to the Roost. Kept the extra jars (that weren't canned) in the frig for us to eat here :-) Now...we've got some red beans that are screaming at us "chili beans"! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

4 qt. chicken, 3 qt broth-----one canner full.

now thinking about some dry beans,,maybe a canner of them.

:Once I mixed up 6 kinds of beans and did my own 6-bean soup, that was good'

when my boys were little they weren't big fans of beans , so Mama had to use

a little trick . I called them Batman and Robin beans. (2 kinds of beans mixed)

they each chose a bean and raced to see which one could eat the most.. Haha

Now I'd use that same trick on my picky eater and call them The Avengers, but he's

too smart for me , that boy won't fall for that trick.

• 2 months later...

Everyone must be too busy canning to post lately. This weekend I did some Chocolate Raspberry sauce and weekend before I made some Strawberry Margarita Jam.

Waiting on the garden now so I can start the vegetables.

It's still a little too early for the gardens here in the upper Midwest. I'm going to have to make some more bean soup to can before long though. I think I have 4-5 jars left. I ate a lot of my canned soups this winter. I want to do tomatoes this fall too. I have none of those left.

Rhubarb jam last week. I've been too busy picking strawberries and rhubarb and freezing them. Will process them later. Now the raspberries have started turning red. :0327:

All this rain, hot weather, plus the manure and compost from last year is making everything grow in warp speed. :knary:

Got the deep freeze and frig at the Homestead pretty well full...waiting for some cooler weather to do some canning and we're watching the produce auction when stuff starts coming in and we'll probably dehydrate some veggies etc. I try to avoid doing either when days are in the 90's. My stove is electric so...up, up and away goes the electric bill when I'm canning or dehydrating. Got a nice surprise though at the Homestead. Was going to switch out electric to gas but can't afford to do it for awhile, but wanted to check to make sure everything worked. Everything works great and ... it's a self-cleaning oven. The electric burners are the "closed" element type so that's pretty good too. Not much heat loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Three pints of bone-in chicken thighs and four pints of red beans...raw packed. Have never done bone in or raw pack, so wanted to give it a shot. They're sure looking good. Will know more in the morning when I remove the rings and wash the jars with warm soapy water. Did use Tattler lids...have decided to just set them back for emergency canning should I need to.

post-9087-0-92139100-1436837205_thumb.jpg

Three pints of bone-in chicken thighs and four pints of red beans...raw packed. Have never done bone in or raw pack, so wanted to give it a shot. They're sure looking good. Will know more in the morning when I remove the rings and wash the jars with warm soapy water. Did use Tattler lids...have decided to just set them back for emergency canning should I need to.

Correction...I did NOT use my Tattler lids :-) I picked up two more boxes of lids & gaskets and two more boxes of gaskets a week or so ago when we were at our favorite seed supply store...when we took the motorcycle ride :-) I removed all the rings and washed the jars this morning, and everything sealed perfectly, no seeps in the canner either. Labeled them and they're in the pantry waiting for a trip to the extended pantry shelves with some of their neighbors hiding in this pantry :-) Sure is going to be a lot nicer when the extended pantry is in town :-)

I raw pack chicken and beef, but never bone in. Sure made things soooo much quicker and I did it myself without MrWE2 helping. Sterilized the jars, stuffed the chicken things in, added a pinch of salt, put on my heated lids and then the rings...and into a COLD canner they went. Always remember Jeeps...cold food, cold jars, cold canner. Hot food, hot jars and hot canner :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well not canning yet, but cooking down so that I can. Got 30 lbs of tomatoes yesterday for spaghetti sauce and they're now simmering on the stove top. House smells like an Italian restaurant.

In doing this I discovered that my Victorio Strainer is extremely cantankerous. Took three tries to get everything together just right so that it would work properly. Also discovered I don't have a pot big enough to handle 30 lbs of tomatoes. :( (Water bath canner is old and has some rust spots so I didn't want to use it for the cooking portion.)

Well not canning yet, but cooking down so that I can. Got 30 lbs of tomatoes yesterday for spaghetti sauce and they're now simmering on the stove top. House smells like an Italian restaurant.

In doing this I discovered that my Victorio Strainer is extremely cantankerous. Took three tries to get everything together just right so that it would work properly. Also discovered I don't have a pot big enough to handle 30 lbs of tomatoes. :( (Water bath canner is old and has some rust spots so I didn't want to use it for the cooking portion.)

AW! FYI- Walmart has 18qt roaster ovens for around $25, if not now, come "Black Fri" season. I LOVELOVELOVE mine for big batch cooking/canning. It's about time to retire mine, & i've only had it a few years. I use it a LOT, though. Broth, maters, beans, roasting (of course), dog food, chicken grains & so many more things. It's not the electric part, I've plum wore out the enamel.

AW! FYI- Walmart has 18qt roaster ovens for around $25, if not now, come "Black Fri" season. I LOVELOVELOVE mine for big batch cooking/canning. It's about time to retire mine, & i've only had it a few years. I use it a LOT, though. Broth, maters, beans, roasting (of course), dog food, chicken grains & so many more things. It's not the electric part, I've plum wore out the enamel.

I have a Nesco 12qt roaster. Had it for years. (Mom gave it to me for Christmas.) I need to use it more.

Woohoo....got the sauce cooked down enough to fit in one pot.

Edited by Daelith

The "Green Chili Jelly" did finally gel! Woohoo! Put a pic up, somewhere here in one of the forums along with my homemade recipe :-) Went to a cheesmakin get-to-gether today that a friend was having, so took her a jar and everybody was able to taste the different flavors of cheese she had already put together and then the one she demo'd we put the chili jelly over, all with bagels or crackers. Yum, yum, yum! Got a friend who's having a birthday celebration Sunday evening, so we're taking her a squat of the jelly and I'm going to make some of cheese as her gift.

I really do not want to say...but let me put it this way..it did not get broken, or have any problems .

I bought it new,and it was still in new shape even though I have canned 100's of lbs of meat and

vegetables though it.I believe it will last for another 100 years or more. So it is still in the same

condition. I do not think it has been used since I "lost it".

No canning but did make a couple of small batches of cheese that we'll be taking to a birthday party for a friend. Will give them to her as a gift along with a jar of my green chili jelly. One was made with chives, garlic & onion powder and mineral salt, the other was made with a touch of mineral salt and some Mrs. Dash. Sliced off a sliver from each one and MrWE2 says the chives one is by far the tastiest :-) Will taste wonderful served with apple slices! Wanna see?

post-9087-0-28898500-1437881889_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-58737700-1437881895_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-92159600-1437881903_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-37000800-1437881910_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's