MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Metallic taste in grape juice

We processed a dozen quarts of home grown grape juice. It has a very metallic taste that we don't particularly like. :(

I realize now that we should have not used metal equipment in the extraction, but it's too late to change that. Lesson learned for next year.
Does anyone have any ideas to get rid of the metallic taste?

I may have found a solution to the metallic taste in the grape juice.

I opened a quart yesterday to see if the flavor was a bad as I remembered. I noted a layer of grayish sediment in the bottom and I carefully decanted the juice to eliminate the sediment. :cheer: Voila ! The metallic flavor was all but gone !

I have had tartrate crystals in my juice before and never had the metallic flavor of this batch. I do not 'think' that the metallic flavor was caused by tartrate crystals because I didn't see any crystals yesterday. I remember letting the juice settle in the refrigerator for at least a day to eliminate the crystals before canning.

I'm no chemist so I can't be sure of what was in that sediment. I will be carefully observing the remaining jars when I open them.

I am, however, very happy to have good, sweet grape juice. :cele:

NB: I used my new stainless steel steam juice extractor yesterday on the remainder of my apples. It worked slicker than sliced bread. Very little effort and good quality juice. :D