MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pets That Make You Smile

The WE2's

When we retired and started "preparing" for travel...we agreed that we wanted a dog. We adopted a Lab/Aussie female puppy that started out as 9 lbs. and is now 60 lbs. at 8 months! Anyway, she's a pistol! One evening we were sitting in the livingroom and noticed she had something in her mouth. Thinking it was her antler we didn't do anything. then we noticed that she kept coming back to us with it. Then noticed she was trying to "crunch" it. After prying her mouth open we nearly cracked up...she had lodged a bar of Ivory soap behind her incisors and across her molars. She couldn't get it out! We had put it at the foot of our bed for restless leg, and somehow it got kicked out and she found it! Didn't even offer to try and take it back from us! Aren't pets a hoot!?

• 3 weeks later...

Another funny from Abby...We had taken a sticky label off of something (?) and it was on the tv table. Somehow or another Abby got it stuck to the end of her tail (no...we didn't do this deliberately) and this pic is of her trying desperately to "chase it away"...LOL We both laughed sooo hard we cried! I keep a camera on my end table for occasions such as this!

Watching tv last night and Abby's "mattress" is at the foot of the coffee table, in front of our tv (had to make room for her) and suddenly she popped up, growled, and then gave her "alert" bark. When I said "what is it?" She alerted again, so we got up and she headed for the back door. When we got to the last back entry (we have 2), flipped on the porch light (from sensor to manual) opened the door to let her out FIRST (which is something we normally don't do...for obedience sake), we were very impressed to note that she was notifying us that the wind (or a cat?) had dumped over our trash can. Not bad for a 9 month old pup! We congratulated her enormously for doing a good job. That's EXACTLY why we adopted her from her rescued momma & 8 littermates...we wanted an alert dog. Now...we've got to figure out a hand signal for "show me" since we're trying to teach her sign language along with verbal commands. (oops...wanted to mention that the reason we were so impressed is that she heard it over the tv!)

Edited by Philbe
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night, Abby "heard something" and come up off her kong mattress headed for the kitchen. All of a sudden, we heard her come to a skidding halt (on the linoleum) and couldn't get out of the kitchen fast enough. Stood in the livingroom, growling. Went to her kong bed and sat there growling. Mountain Man went to the kitchen, and began pointing to things saying "is this it?" When he got to a sack of potatoes I had sitting on the counter, she bristled up and began to growl. Guess she must have stuck her nose against the sack, felt & saw it shift, and scared the wits out of her. Some watch dog! LOL Now we're calling her our "spud" dog!

Went to one of our states largest swap meets today. Abby had her first encounter with a billy goat. OHHHHH what a hoot! She walked up to it...bigger than he was by far. Began to sniff it's nose. Down went it's head and I knew what was coming! Sent her rolling! She jumped up, looked at it as if to say "why'd ya do that?" Mountain Man and I nearly laughed til we cried...along with the goats owner. The swap meet is held 3x a year and they have hundreds of vendors with about every animal you can imagine (except no horses, cattle or pigs etc.) along with tons of everything else. Abby seems to have this unique ability to entertain us with her curiosity and it's results!

Another funny for Mountain Man and I to laugh about! Abby has her "greeny ball" that we can insert a milk bone into. It keeps her busy for quite some time...or did! She's figured out that she can "crunch" the greeny ball, then roll it across the floor, and then very smartly go behind and pick up the pieces! Animals absolutely NEVER cease to amaze me with their antics!

• 3 weeks later...

Mountain Man took Abby out for her nightly accomplishments (around midnight) and there were 2 boys walking behind the house using a cell phone for light or ??? Anyway...Abby took off towards them with a huge "woof, woof" and scared them both "literally" stiff. They froze! One of the boys was a neighbor boy and recognized her and she recognized him so she did her usual belly crawl to meet him. But...they other boy she just stood and looked at and he looked at her. Guess he really didn't want much to do with this 70 pound dog with yellow eyes! Then, all of a sudden, a 3rd boy stepped out from the bushes and Abby charged with an even bigger "woof woof" and up went the mowhawk (she has these magnificent hackles that start at her collar and go all the way down her back in about a 2 inch mowhawk!) and he froze. Every time he'd try to call her name (he heard MM say her name) and approach, she'd back him off with her mowhawk and woof-woofs. We're very pleased with that! We brought her into our empty nest to be our "alert" dog and she's doing very well! We go the back entry and pull back a tiny bit of curtain to peak out and she "mowhawk" and lowers her head and does the "woof-woof". She absolutely does NOT like sneaking around! Don't know if she'd every actually bite anyone because she's such a lover...unless they tried to harm one of us. Then, I think she probably would. Anyway...good dog Abby...from your human mommy! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday MM and I were cleaning out a bedroom to start moving our pantry into it (rather than the back enclosed porch) and added another 5' unit. In the process I ran my vacume cleaner attachment to get into the corners. Abby decided to grab the wand...and it sucked her nose into it! MM and I literally had to sit down in the floor until our laughing fits were over! Soooooo funny! She used to attack my little yellow "boss" vacume, but this is a big unit and she's decided now that it's bigger than her and to leave it alone! LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Abby's finally getting better about not "chewing" her Teddy...LOL We had to take it away from her several months ago, and just recently gave it back to her. She carries it around the house like it's her "baby"...LOL We take it away from her though when she starts to get aggressive with it and wanting to destroy it. She's learning...She's got two wonderful friends here at Mrs.S...Grrrr and Jeepers!