MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Endless Elderberries!

My friends and I have 4 trash bags of elderberries with stems in our freezers. We intend to make syrup and tinctures. There are SO many stems! I have read that the stems are toxic and have read that the stems are slightly toxic. I have read that the seeds are toxic yet I have eaten many elderberry pies and jams. Freezing helps with stem removal and we are getting a good portion of them out but (and this is my question), will a small amount of stems hurt in the cooking process since we will strain them out anyway?

I have only made pies and jam in the past so any input will be appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Get a stem with a joint knot near the bottom, put that in wet sand, and keep it damp until it roots. They root very easily here. They grew like weeds in Lucedale when I was a kid, too.

Edited by Ambergris

Get a stem with a joint knot near the bottom, put that in wet sand, and keep it damp until it roots. They root very easily here. They grew like weeds in Lucedale when I was a kid, too.

WOW I WISH I knew where some were around here! I lived in Agricola when I was a kid but don't remember seeing any of these.