MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flu galloping through my office today

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I studied herbs and spices several years ago before my first husband passed on. I've still got most of my books etc., but like everything else, new stuff comes in and some stuff goes out. I pretty much stick to the "stand-by's" though. Once taught a sunday school class for ladies only, and they loved it. Said it was one of the "taboo" subjects that the church overlooks unless it's some sort of special "counseling" done behind closed doors by a pastor...and it never covers herbal remedies and aeromatic spices. Too bad...it's truly a marriage enhancement to receive a foot massage (or back) with some lovely peppermint oil. Perhaps if more marriages experienced this we wouldn't see so many massage parlors pulling in big bucks! LOL

True We2. I got a $110.00 fraudulent bill on my charge card from a 'massage parlor' this year. I THINK it was a legit massage therapy place though. I just had the 'parlor' part in my mind. LOL. A hands on marriage is a good marriage. Kind and gentle hands that is.

I've been reading about a lot of good things involving oregano oil too.

We made it to madison just in time to catch the flu. We isolated ourselves at mom's house and missed out on all the celebrations. We'll try again next year. Came home early so we can get well at home. So far, 87 y.o. mom didn't catch any of our germs. It's not that difficult if you take precautions. Balance in everything. :D

I guess it's already an epidemic now. Even if you got your flu shot...take care and stay away from peoples mouth as best as you can. And wash your hands!

Dec 31st 2014 7:35AM
The CDC says the flu virus crossed into being an epidemic this past week.

Combined with a flu shot that's already been declared not as effective as most years, the agency has warned this flu season could be a severe one.

In its weekly FluView report, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 22 states - mostly in the Midwest and Southeast - reported a high level of influenza activity.

Some other numbers to know; the CDC says the flu is widespread in 36 states, 15 children have died from the flu so far this season and the total number of deaths attributed to the flu hit 6.8 percent this past week. That's the exact percentage where the CDC declares an epidemic.

This year's predominant strain is the H3N2 virus, which caused harsh flu seasons as recently as two years ago. So why aren't we as protected by the flu shot as most years?

"What they're finding is in the predominant virus - at least, early on - it has drifted or become different from what they had predicted," The Washington Post's health blogger Lenny Bernstein said.

"By the time they knew that it had mutated to this extent, it was really too late to change the vaccine," Dr. Roshini Rajapaksa of the NYU Langone Medical Center told Fox News. "They figured this out around March. That's too late for a vaccine that really comes out in October."

You'll be hard-pressed to find a medical professional, however, who says to take this year off when it comes to getting a shot because they say some coverage is better than no coverage. (Video via The Austin Diagnostic Clinic)

The summary of the CDC's weekly report says more states will likely fall into that high activity category soon and rather bluntly advises, "If you have not been vaccinated yet this season, get vaccinated now."

The head of Johns Hopkins' Office of Epidemiology and Infection Prevention pointed out children and the elderly are more susceptible and, if nothing else, she told The Washington Post average adults getting a shot "are in essence protecting those that are vulnerable."

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/31/why-the-cdc-just-declared-a-flu-epidemic/21123015/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl38|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D591524

This is good. DH & I now say to each other, "I need a flu shot". :hug3:

http://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2014/december/december17_hugsprotect.html

Hugs Help Protect Against Stress and Infection, Say Carnegie Mellon Researchers
By Shilo Rea / 412-268-6094

hug_200x200.jpg.jpeg
PITTSBURGH—Instead of an apple, could a hug-a-day keep the doctor away? According to new research from Carnegie Mellon University, that may not be that far-fetched of an idea.
Led by Sheldon Cohen, the Robert E. Doherty University Professor of Psychology in CMU's Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the researchers tested whether hugs act as a form of social support, protecting stressed people from getting sick. Published in Psychological Science, they found that greater social support and more frequent hugs protected people from the increased susceptibility to infection associated with being stressed and resulted in less severe illness symptoms.
Cohen and his team chose to study hugging as an example of social support because hugs are typically a marker of having a more intimate and close relationship with another person.
"We know that people experiencing ongoing conflicts with others are less able to fight off cold viruses. We also know that people who report having social support are partly protected from the effects of stress on psychological states, such as depression and anxiety," said Cohen. "We tested whether perceptions of social support are equally effective in protecting us from stress-induced susceptibility to infection and also whether receiving hugs might partially account for those feelings of support and themselves protect a person against infection."
In 404 healthy adults, perceived support was assessed by a questionnaire, and frequencies of interpersonal conflicts and receiving hugs were derived from telephone interviews conducted on 14 consecutive evenings. Then, the participants were intentionally exposed to a common cold virus and monitored in quarantine to assess infection and signs of illness
The results showed that perceived social support reduced the risk of infection associated with experiencing conflicts. Hugs were responsible for one-third of the protective effect of social support. Among infected participants, greater perceived social support and more frequent hugs both resulted in less severe illness symptoms whether or not they experienced conflicts.
"This suggests that being hugged by a trusted person may act as an effective means of conveying support and that increasing the frequency of hugs might be an effective means of reducing the deleterious effects of stress," Cohen said. "The apparent protective effect of hugs may be attributable to the physical contact itself or to hugging being a behavioral indicator of support and intimacy."
Cohen added, "Either way, those who receive more hugs are somewhat more protected from infection."
In addition to Cohen, the research team included Carnegie Mellon's Denise Janicki-Deverts, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center's Ronald B. Turner and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's William J. Doyle.
The National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute funded this research.
For more information, visit http://www.psy.cmu.edu/people/cohen.html.

What a disappointment but glad your mom didn't catch it. That's always our concern too , for my folks in their mid-80's. We postpone a lot of holidays if one of us is ill.

MtRider :(

My dad called this morning. He MIGHT have it. :pray: DH got sick yesterday. He MIGHT have it. I woke with swollen glands this morning. I'm nearly out of what I take to prevent getting anything. :motz_6: But we're digging out some stuff we used to use. Hopefully it will be enough for DH and I. OBVIOUSLY we have postponed our New Year's pizza party today..... :sigh:

Wish we had some kim chee.... Yes, you heard right. No chicken noodle soup for DH. Kim Chee Soup! Hot spice and heavy garlic. ....didn't I keep telling him to run by the Asian market? I'll have to see what I can do with turkey broth [he's allergic to chicken!!!!], garlic and Korean red pepper spice. They actually sell Asian kim chee flavored ramen noodles.

Apparently our hospital staff are having all employees wear masks. I'd certainly start homeschooling [temporarily and impromptu] if I had kids in school.

Heard Tamiflu is out of stock in our local area.

Anyone heard if this version of flu is safe for the Sambucol [elderberry] products???????? :scratchhead:

MtRider :pray:

Three of my office mates are still sick..well over a week after first getting sick. This sure sounds nasty! We are down to a skeleton crew right now. Next week we will be very busy so I hope they are fully recovered by then.

I heard on the radio today that some doctor's offices are telling some people with the flu not to come in. The ones who are still seeing patients say there is a 2-3 hour wait. This is in a doctor office and not the ER.

The gov. said that even though the flu shot is not good for this particular flu season, it may still offer some protection. I wonder. How can it offer some protection if it isn't good for the strain of flu going around?

Got the details of Flu....Type A of this year (the NASTY version)

Severe headache [with a little nausea possibly due to headache]. No vomiting/diarrhea. Body aches. Fever. Sometimes goes into respiratory trouble. :fever:

This is not the microbe that DH or I are fighting. Neither of us has those symptoms ...and we don't even have the same symptoms. I've got swollen throat glands and bad, numbing fatigue.........both of which are not being helped by all the snow shoveling I've done in the past two days. :shrug: ....still better than chopping it out of the way after it freezes and locks up. Nice and fluffy now.

DH was sick on Wed at work...very sick yesterday in bed [which left me shoveling] but returned to work feeling really quite well today. [which left me shoveling again....] He had big nausea and ...'intestinal distress'!! (highly unusual for him!!!) Also an initial mild headache (very common when he's fighting something). Couldn't eat anything but spicy soup. And overall "feeling AWFUL....sleeping lots!"

Tonite, he even ate a burrito before he came home. :thumbs: Unfortunately, we might have snow again tomorrow....and he has to be at office again in the afternoon. Hopefully he'll be home before it snows....before I have to feed....so I get my turn to rest and fully recover. I'm on the very edge, just barely sick but not quite well.

MtRider :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider
clarity

Mt Rider, hope you are feeling better soon. We drove south though CO and I kept guessing which mountain you might live on. It is beautiful here, but I also kept thinking of your "bad guy" scenario and couldn't even begin to imagine what we might do to survive such "different from our own" territory.

Some people here in Az have been complaining of feeling ill but we're armed with our essential oils and I have been far more physically active outdoors than ever at home this time of year. Determined to stay well while we are here.

Dh went to a gun show today and wondered if GP would be there with a booth. My brother rushed him along, sweetie would have liked to stay much longer. He even mentioned taking me back to it!

Edited by lovinit

Hey, Lovinit. :wave: My mountain is getting SNOW again. :0327: Sheesh.... This time of year, I use all my energy in shoveling and plodding thru snow in HEAVY clothing. Hope you enjoy your winter stay in AZ. You'll have to PM me when you're set to head north again.

MtRider :frozen: 20 degrees was our high....falling drastically again. :sigh: This too shall pass....

I do believe we will be taking another route back. Your snow isn't any more fun than ours is. We don't usually get rain in December and such slick roads but we left home in the rain . A short stint from Colorado Springs to the pass????was the only other tough driving we had. Dh had to do the whole route, as I had pulled a muscle just before we left home and couldn't manage to help with the driving

Mt Rider, hope you are feeling better soon. We drove south though CO and I kept guessing which mountain you might live on. It is beautiful here, but I also kept thinking of your "bad guy" scenario and couldn't even begin to imagine what we might do to survive such "different from our own" territory.

Some people here in Az have been complaining of feeling ill but we're armed with our essential oils and I have been far more physically active outdoors than ever at home this time of year. Determined to stay well while we are here.

Dh went to a gun show today and wondered if GP would be there with a booth. My brother rushed him along, sweetie would have liked to stay much longer. He even mentioned taking me back to it!

Quartsite, AZ is a very poplular place this time of year ... especially for RV'ers! Small town grows to thousands and thousands! LOL

My 13 yr old came home with 104.3 fever yesterday, confirmed flu today by his Dr. We all got vaccinated but I'm super concerned we will all get it since flu virus gets shed before you even have symptoms. I'm very likely exposed at work as well even though I've been good about handwashing and not touching my face.

I spent yesterday in bed, after two days of dragging myself through the office. I hear cats meowing when I exhale. My son next to me hears them too. I'm clearly on the upswing now, but the cats are still in my chest.

Its considered epidemic levels, do the best you can to heal up and get lots of rest. After I got knocked around with a touch of it thanks to friend who got the vaccination and within two days or so was ill with it and a bad reaction to the vaccination itself.... I declined to get the vaccination myself. Figured I had been for what it was worth..... so far, I tend to avoid people lately, in person, lol....... and have not been sick. I think my neighbor is sick he has been coughing badly again. Of course I avoid that leering sort anyway. He is an official slimeball. So, I do my best to not talk with him at all if I can help it. Now to just get through the rest of winter and well into spring when it finally tends to peter out around here.

of course once I go to a doctors appointment, sitting in the lobby for a while, whether anyone is there, the virus will be there I am sure. I will probably get sick. Sigh. I hope nobody gets horribly, dangerous levels , please watch the children, especially their breathing. I have heard what this strain is doing to children. Don't hesitate to bring them in for care medically if they get super congested. Their lungs may actually be filling up with fluid.

Oh, other issue, someone infected with measles was at Disneyland, in California recently, and now measles is spreading rapidly in Southern California.

I still have allergies bugging my sinuses and nose all the time..... it seems a constant here in upstate ny. Doesnt matter about being indoors either.

But if thats the worst for me, I consider myself lucky lately. :)

Best wishes to everyone who is sick.

• 2 weeks later...

DD says the flu began only couple weeks ago in Hawaii. It's now in full swing and the grandkids' school says DO NOT send kids if they have ANY symptoms! GrS1 stayed home 3 days and doc didn't even want him coming inside the clinic [with germs in waiting room] to get a doc's paper to return to school. They are taking this seriously!

MtRider :pray: