MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Splinters, stickers, thorns

This common malady needs to be addressed.

Please add types of thorns ,stickers from your area.

Tree and proven remedies would be helpful also.

I am going to start out with a case history of my DD.

She was wearing sandals running in the meadow when a dry stuab penetrated her heel. I took one look at it and knew it was beyond me. I took her to the ER as it was late in the summer evening. They looked askance of me that I would ask for splinter removal...11/2 hour later they were almost desperate. It was no laughing matter. The dry staub had shattered under the skin. It all ended well no infection.

Splinters from Penta or creosote or other treated posts used for fencing can cause agonizing pain and to say the least are poisonous.

Thorns from locust trees can also cause dreadful pain.

Some thorns..after penetration though you may remove it the tip breaks off under the skin.

Remedies

Salt or Epsom salts mixed with honey will draw painfully and can pull splinters out. Honey is a natural antibiotic.

The inside of the banana peel taped to the splinter area will draw powerfully!!

Today I am going use lavender and tea tree oil and hope I will not react to the lavender.

I have tried the above remedies and each have drawn more of the splinter out of my finger.

Wellness Mama has a recipe for a "drawing" salve. Guess I need get it printed out. In the past we've always bought a tin of drawing salve from some friends who have alot of Native American products. Stinks...it's black...but it works.

If anyone ever goes to the beaches of Hawaii.....DO NOT step on the thorn of the Ke'awe [pronounced: Kay ah veh] trees that often line the shores. Heard a legend of a nasty ruler ....and they decided to name this tree after him. So every time someone stepped on a thorn....well, his name would live in infamy! :grinning-smiley-044: Told to me by a Hawaiian 'uncle' ...but don't know if it's true.

What I DO know is they are NASTY to get out. They burn and disintegrate as you chase them with needle or tweezers. They don't go deeper but you have to butcher your foot to get all of the pieces. OW!

A drawing salve would probably be a better option.

MtRider ....and they go right thru the Hawaiian 'slippahs'..... {rubber toe sandal}

Edited by Mt_Rider
guessing on ke'awe spelling

MtRider you mentioned milk and bread. I had no bread so I could not try it. Would you explain how you used it.

I think there are goathead stickers in Texas

that can painful to barefeet or pet's feet.

So far the best I have used has been the banana peel. I did react to the lavender.

Honestly, that white Wonder bread works best. Take a small piece.....just a pinch but DON'T squash the bread cuz it has to soak up the milk. Soak bread with a drop or two of milk. Just enough for the wet glop to cover the splinter's entrance. Not drippy wet, tho. Fasten it with a Bandaid tightly over the splinter .....hoping the milk-bread will be able to actually goo down and TOUCH the splinter's end.

Let it thoroughly dry. The bread and milk are gluey and hopefully latch onto the end of the splinter as the glop hardens. After hardening, pull it off .....trying to keep the pull lined up with the direction the splinter went in. In other words, pull backwards at the same angle the splinter went in.

Sometimes I've had to do it a couple times before I succeed. If you're getting a deeper or broken-off splinter from a child, they really prefer this method than digging deeper and deeper. :blink:

It's more based on glue action than drawing action. I'm not sure this draws. :shrug:

Also....

If you have small hair-like stickers, you can use duct tape to try to pull one or more out.

MtRider :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

MtRider you mentioned milk and bread. I had no bread so I could not try it. Would you explain how you used it.

I think there are goathead stickers in Texas

that can painful to barefeet or pet's feet.

So far the best I have used has been the banana peel. I did react to the lavender.

When the kids were little (and I didn't have dollars for fancy stuff) my son would sometimes get boils on his arm, and both often received splinters and thorns etc. I took a piece of white bread, trimmed off the crust, added about 1/4 cup of honey and then enough evaporated milk to make it squishy. I put this "poltice" on the wound, covered it with a thick piece of flannel or gauze, and it absolutely was a pulling poltice :-) You could probably use soda crackers too if you didn't have any bread?

Cactus, porcupine do you know how to the quills out of yourself or your animals?

You talk about things you need to take, have you prepared your kits or BOB for the little things that could blow up into something big?

What about nail punctures?

Any of these punctures could happen any day anywhere.

I am going to say Epsom salts is your friend. The drawing salve should also be in every medicine chest. I definitely will add it to mine as well as charcoal.

My First Aid kits include the plastic plunger part of a syringe. For [painfully] cleaning wounds...including punctures.

My last puncture was pushing back on a young goat...sharp danged horn punctured my palm. [forgot about her horn when I shoved her.] Went straight to ER. Cuz needed tetanus shot anyway. Now I'm updated for a while. All punctures are nasty!

MtRider :pc_coffee: Good thread idea!

Edited by Mt_Rider