MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie's Salsa - Water Bath Canned

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh goodness yes! I had another 40 pounds of tomatoes and since we go through this so quickly... made quad. batch! I am tired of peeling and chopping... but oh love eating!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally! I have my first 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes sitting right here beside me! Such a late start with the weather this year, and it's cooling off pretty rapidly...short season and I hope I get all my tomatoes.

So these will sit on newspaper for a few days and then I'll try this recipe this weekend. I'm going to be doing Annie's and another one that uses only my garden stuff (no cans). I've never done salsa before, since my sister used to can salsa for our whole extended family. This year, she had no garden, so I'm on my own.

I'm really hoping that if Annie's is as yummy as you all say it is, I can figure out how to make it in the years to come without canned goods. Hopefully, doing both kinds next week (with canned goods and without) I'll be able to figure out how to change it so that I don't need cans but get the good flavors and textures.

(PS I won't try any big changes without checking with you all first to make sure I'm not canning anything dangerous. LOL)

the canned goods is just a short cut to cooking a sauce down. And then further cooking the sauce into a paste.

Now if you already have canned a sauce and cooked it down to a paste... you won't need to use store bought.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the Ball web-site:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/glossary_r_z/108.php

Quote:
salt, kosher.

A coarse-grained, textured salt that is free of additives. Kosher salt may be used when making pickles. Because of the variance in density and form, contact kosher salt packers for information regarding equivalencies.

salt, pickling or preserving.

A fine-grained salt used in pickling and fresh preserving. It is free of anti-caking agents, which can cause the pickling liquid to turn cloudy, and iodine, which can darken the pickles.

salt, table.

A free-flowing, fine-grained salt. Table salt is the most common salt and is used as a table seasoning. It contains additives that may yield unfavorable results when pickling. Iodized table salt (sodium iodide) is not recommended for pickling because it contains an anti-caking ingredient that can make brines cloudy, as well as iodine, which may darken the pickles. Non-iodized table salt can be used for pickling. The pickling liquid may be cloudy, but the pickles will not be dark.

salt, sea.

A type of salt produced by the evaporation of sea water. It comes in fine- and coarse-grained textures and is usually more costly than other types of salt. Sea salt should not be used for pickling because it may contain minerals that could darken the pickles.

This is from a go to, how to web-site:

http://quamut.com/quamut/canning_and_prese...ngredients.html

Quote:
Salt

Salt both preserves canned and pickled food while also adding flavor and crispness to the final product. Only certain kinds of salt are appropriate for preserving food, so always use the type of salt indicated by your recipe.

Canning salt (pickling salt): This salt is pure sodium chloride that doesn’t contain the additives found in conventional, iodized table salt. It is preferred for canning and pickling because it won’t alter the color of your food or make your brine cloudy as iodized salt will.

Kosher salt: Kosher salt is another pure form of salt that’s suitable for preserving. It’s usually manufactured with coarser grains than other forms of salt, so more salt by volume is required when measuring. If a recipe calls for pickling salt but you have only kosher salt, substitute 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of kosher salt for every 1 cup of pickling salt the recipe stipulates.

You are really best off using canning/pickling salt for all canning. If you use table salt, it would be better to use uniodized anyway. It will still have anticaking agents in it, though. The iodine and anticaking leaves a sediment in the jars. It can also make foods mushy. In salsa that won't matter, but in some other things it could.

Some kosher salts have anticaking, some don't. You will find the amount you need different than regular canning salt.

I disagree, salt does not preserve the food other than in high amounts like in jerky. It also is needed for fermentation in pickles. Other than that, it can be ommited and is only for flavor.

You can check out the USDA information and find that is what they say about salt.

Hey, I'm going to be making some more of this today.

I was thinking I wanted it not quite so dense.

Do you think I could substitute the paste for more tomato sauce?

I think there would be a density issue...but I can easily pressure can instead of water bath.

What do you think?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...