MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wild times...

Cat

Wild times at our woods... :)

Kiddo wasn't out of bed yet, so at 10:30 I walked out into the woods to look for mushrooms. Some of the non-edibles ones are out, but of course the only ones that I *want* now are the gray Morels. ;)

So I watch a pair of wild Canada geese fly into a wet spot in the woods, completely ignoring the pond, which is already "taken" by a pair. They fly into the wet spot and are met with wild honking by another pair already there. I walk back cautiously and surprise them all by telling them "Hey, it's a puddle... go find a pond!" But they continue to argue and chase until one pair leaves, one wildly flying through the trees, breaking small branches as it goes.

I see a hesitant "start" further back, and a hefty deer is unsure whether it should flee or stay. No antlers at this season, so I don't know what it is, but it's alone. I watch it start again, look back, and amble off towards the back of the woods.

The geese continue to honk, another group flies over, and the sun shines brightly on the water. Everything smells so fresh and bright. The dew looks like fairies left diamonds scattered in the moss. I love this place. :wub:

No Morels yet... we need a good "soaker" rain.

The pleasures of being in the country out in the woods , in the quiet are God given pleasures!

Here I have a Rufus Sided Towhee and he/she is so friendly. I have taught the dog not to bother

the wildlife and she and I will watch the wildlife and they us.

I found 1/2 of a turkey eggshell-10 days ago- it is very early for them to be hatching. But the weather has been

warm and no heavy rain will give them a chance of growth .

Last year she hatched out the day before a heavy rain and lost the entire clutch. She moped for weeks.

Have seen no fawns yet... but turtles are coming out. For the last couple of days we have seen them with mud

clinging to their shells.

It is a beautiful time of year.

I saw squirrels in the woods across the street when I took the kids for a walk the other day. It was the first one I've seen in the 6 years we've lived here. (oh, how I hate city living). When DD was really little and I was still working, she saw squirrels at the sitter's house and would call them kitties because she had never seen them before.

The robins have all left to go north, but the Canada Geese are passing through now. My favorite persimmon tree by the driveway has soft, intensely green leaves.

Archived