MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking Bread Without Electricity

Hi,

I've been catching up on posts here, as I've been away for a while. I'm particularly interested in all the suggestions that we purchase a grain mill that can be turned by hand, in the event of loss of electricity. That leads me to ask the question, If there is no electricity, how do you plan to bake bread?

My son & husband built a big solar oven for the homeschool science fair. WE use it quite often, just to keep in practice. Haven't tried baking bread in it yet though...guess I better give that a try!

We have both an electric grain grinder and a manual one. We're hoping to get the windmills up and going to run a battery bank so we will have at least some electricity if we should lose electricity.

I'm researching and plan on building an 'earth oven' in my backyard with my hubby!

Until then, we've got propane and solar ovens.

I just tested a Coleman camp oven on my gas stove cooktop...baked some nice biscuits in there! (but I also do Dutch oven cooking and can bake small loaves in there, have done it at Civil War events plenty of times to the amazement of the troops)

I like FLaGals idea of an earth oven. I've seen books on that topic and it looks intruiging. I am thinking it might not be a bad idea to set up an area in the back yard where cooking could be done. It might be fun to have an outdoor kitchen in the summer. (For winter, I'll do Dutch oven in fireplace or in the camp oven on the gas cooktop as long as we have propane)

Stumbled onto a factory oven that you can sit on a wood cook stove. It is about 2'longX16X16 with temp. gauge and wire handles. Cooks like a dream. Think I paid $5 for it and would have given $50. Some folks just want to get rid of their junk. Our little folding Coleman oven has never been used. Dutch ovens work great for bread. At our last gatheing Lee had his "high tech" solar oven. It is on wheels with a sight to get 100% sun. wc

Thanks, Snowmom. The first link suggests making the bread without yeast, but I think the yeast contributes a lot to the yummy taste. I would be inclined to put in at least a little yeast for that reason. Do you think it would make any difference?

I really haven't followed up much on any type of solar items, living in the perpetually rainy, cloudy, gray Pacific NW. Plus we are located in the middle of very old, very tall trees---can't even grow grass in our yard due to the extreme shade. By moving a few pots around I've been able to grow tomatoes in pots each year, but that's about it.

I do have just about every kind of stove I can think of, though---propane stove, butane stove, charcoal BBQ, another stove in which I can use wood, etc. I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to get one of the Coleman camp ovens (basically just a square metal box that will fold up)---or would it be a big waste of whatever fuel I'm using at the time?

Originally Posted By: -6
"Crabby" tell us about cooking on the dash-didn't think it would get hot enough. We used to dry fruit on a piece of plywood on the dash and it worked fine, wc

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/08/04/woman-...ies-in-her-car/
http://www.divaherself.com/summerfun/dashboarddining1.html

I've accidentally left a can of milk in the truck and when I remembered it a few days later it was brown and tasted burnt.
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres

I've accidentally left a can of milk in the truck and when I remembered it a few days later it was brown and tasted burnt.

You TASTED it??? sick

You are a much braver woman than me! smile

Although for some reason, I don't know why, all the men in this family love to shove questionable food items under MY nose while asking "Does this smell okay to you?" Sheesh!
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
Until I can get a Horno built, I'll probably just do fry bread. Though if it is summer here I can bake on the truck dashboard. LOL

We we lived in Alabama hubby loved to take bolonga and cheese wrapped in aluminum foil and lay it on the dash board. By lunch time he has a grilled cheese and bolonga.

Yes I have dried seeds and fruit on dash boards. We have a friend that he keeps and old car just for that. It has a sun roof and he has put a piece of ply wood from front to back and uses cookie sheets and just rotates them.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I think the same about the yeast, but, wanted you to see what they had to say. smile

I've never tried to bake bread other than in my oven and on a stick. Guess I will have to try it outside in the sun one of these days. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

• 2 years later...

A few of years ago, we were thinking about relocating to Florida. There was a gorgeous house that we found on the internet that had a backyard kitchen made out of pink Chicago bricks. It was beautiful and included a pizza oven! As much as we thought about purchasing it, I am so glad that we didn't. We would have ended up with a lot of debt hanging over our heads. Of course, that was when bankers would tell us that we could afford a house that was three times over our comfort zone and 7 times more than our current house is worth! :shakinghead:

Of course, we'd have been using that backyard kitchen everyday to bake bread since bread and water would have been the only thing that we could have afforded to eat!

as I am getting married in August, I put a Coleman Camp Oven on my registy - along with lots of other stuff we will be able to use when we start to homestead! In the meantime, I plan to practice baking bread so I get the knack of it before I go to a wood stove!

I would absolutely LOVE to have a pizza/bread oven in the backyard!

Did you know that you can turn your grill into a pizza oven with a pizza stone from Williams Sonoma made just for the grill? I bet you could bake bread on that if you had to in a pan

Archived