MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oatmeal "meat" video

i gotto go get some oatmeal! my roommate does not eat it as cereal, but she will find this fascinating...there are so few recipes for oatmeal that aren't either desserts (cookes, crisps, etc) or cereal! Finally, a 'meat' to go with my oatmeal 'pilaf'!

I need some dried fennel I guess for ingredients.

Me too, I also have some pork bullion I think I will try that instead of beef and see if it passes hubby's taste test. Got to try this. I think I will make some up while he is at work then make milk gravy and biscuits. (sneaky mt3b sneaky)

Fennel seed is a great herb to keep on hand. It's the best thing for a colicky baby, and for upset tummies for older "kids" too, just make it as a tea.

Ladies...yes, this is one of the videos I watched and then posted the note in the shoutbox. (Linda's Pantry also has one as well as I'm Still Workin'...just a little different in their preps) I knew many of you would be as shocked as I was and simply amazed! Mountain Man was astounded at the look, the texture and the taste! Had the rest of it for breakfast this morning...LOL I didn't have any fennel, but like many of you will be putting it into my spice pantry...but it still tasted GOOOOOD! I'm thinking that I can season it up to taste like hamburger too and want to try a batch seasoned to taste like meatloaf patties!

Edited by Philbe

Luma...as you can see in my photo, I had sprinkled some added Kosher salt on top of mine because I felt like it needed more. As for the appearance of oatmeal I couldn't see it...it just looked a little like the "suet" that they add to ground meats. In my first batch, I used 1 cup of quick oats, 2 eggs, and then went to work adding all my spices. I think the main thing is the simmering for exactly 20 minutes...all 3 ladies stressed that (I think?) I browned mine lightly, added the broth to my skillet for the simmer, then poured the broth off and did the final browning. Good luck! I'm definitely going to try other seasonings. Also, the eggs (even if powdered) will give you protein.

I bet you could use chicken seasoning and use it to make chicken nuggets. Oh I must try this I have oatmeal and chicken bullion. I am trying this today. With a little honey mustard I but hubby will love it.

Update: Well since hubby is working today I thought I would give this a try and make the chicken nuggets. I have used poultry seasoning, seasoning salt, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and parley. All I have is quick cook oats, I believe a certain young man in NC reappropriated my steel cut oats because they didn't seem to make the trip. The nuggets are currently in the broth cooking for 20 minutes. Since these are quick cook oats I don't think I will cook them that long. Update to come.

Final Update:

Ok so it is offical you can not taste the oatmeal and it has the texture of a hamburger or meatloaf. If you like ground meat then you will be ok. I used the following

1 cup oatmeal

2 eggs

1 teaspoon crushed rosemary

1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (however, this was a little much I think I will cut it back to 2 teaspoons and use a tablespoon of bullion powder)

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/2 teaspoon parsley

I rolled it ot into a log and cut it into 1 inch cubes

If I was going to serve this to hubby instead of browning it I would batter it and fry it to give it more of the nugget texture. It just doesn't have the chicken texture that I am used to. I can see how it would make delicious sausage. I could also see making a meatloaf like this. I may try adding some black beans to it and making a hamburger patty.

Impression on a sale of 1-10

I would give it a 3 as far as chicken nuggets; however I would give it a 8 or 9 for meat loaf or hamburger. It is just too much like ground meat for me to say yes I would serve this as chicken nuggets.

Taste on a sale of 1-10

I would give it a 5 again the texture is what is getting me. A hamburger or meat loaf would probably get a 8 or 9 for taste.

Will I serve this to my family...you bet ya, I will serve it as sausage or hamburger.

It is not bad I am sitting here eating it and I will have to say it is pretty good but I must cut back on the poutry seasoning it is over powering.. It needs tweaking but I will serve this in a heart beat.

I intend to post this on my blog with pictures so check it out after Monday and it should be up there.

Edited by mommato3boys

I am sure glad you mentioned this Philbe! I've got others, even a really good caterer that is interested in meat substitutes to stretch thing out now. Also for camping foods. It's low in cholesterol and fat too so its healthy. Yes eggs have some but meat sure does too. considering portion size per reccomendations that are typical its better on that regard if someone could break it down, I bet.

good motivator to look at more old world war and depression cook books.

MM2...I'll check out your blog site, it'll be fun to see this thing make it's rounds! LOL I'm glad you tried it for chicken (?) because one of us would have eventually tried it I'm sure...LOL I used quick oats in mine also, and I agree...a little less sage in my next batch and more salt & pepper.

I left the "nuggets" on the kitchen table and when hubby and ds got home they were like food...before I could say anything they had both popped on in their mouth.Their verdict...mmeeehhh it ok but not the greatest. So I am going to try it in sausage form. I still haven't told them it was just oatmeal and spices. I will wait and do that after the sausage and hamburger test. They both ate several but they dunked them in either ketchup, honey mustard or ranch dressing.

I have often used oatmeal to extend mince, you cant tell if you throw it into spaghetti bolognese or any similar dish. The oatmeal absordbs the flavour of mince and the texture appears to the same. remember that the starch effect will also need to be considered.

I've used oatmeal in meatloaves: 1/3 onion, 1/3 oatmeal, 1/3 meat, with a lot of egg to hold things together. It was not taken very well. Using red beans, on the other hand, worked very well for me.

Edited by Ambergris

AH, this was mommato3boys post.........but the video included pepper and sage and dried fennel ( plant, not seed I believe) to spice her 'sausage' up more... you can change up the spices and broth to make different 'meat' flavors as you like. Its pretty vesatile.

1 cup oatmeal

2 eggs, or powdered eggs and warm water, which she mixed up and added to dry oatmeal in the video.

1 teaspoon crushed rosemary

1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (however, this was a little much I think I will cut it back to 2 teaspoons and use a tablespoon of bullion powder)

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/2 teaspoon parsley

After it is mixed up let it sit a few minutes to absorb the herbs better, then mold into patties and fry like sausage patties, then add broth and simmer for 20 mins . It will look like sausage patties and from what every one is saying, it tastes like it! Texture becomes very similar.

Edited by arby

Here's my original post recipe...

1 cup of oatmeal

5 tablespoons of dry egg powder reconstituted w/5 tablespoons of water ... or ... 2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp. of ground sage

1 1/2 heaping tsp. of fennel

1/2 tsp. ground rosemary

3/4 tsp. parsley

1/2 heaping tblsp. of onion powder

1/2 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 heaping tsp. garlic powder (or minced)

1 tsp. of salt

3 cups of simmering beef broth or stock (in separate sauce pan)

Mix all the ingredients (not the broth) in a bowl

Form into patties and let sit while you heat up your iron skillet.

Easy fry your patties in your iron skillet (using vegetable shortening or ?)

(easy fry means just brown lightly)

When the broth has reached a slow boil, turn it down to a simmer and put your patties into it.

Let is simmer for 20 minutes, EXACTLY

Then remove with a slotted spoon, and put back into your skillet and brown each side to your liking.

Whalah!

ps...the white sprinkles on top are the kosher salt I sprinkled, we like a little more salt.

Edited by Philbe