MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help with dehydrated peas

I tried some of my dehydrated peas last night - YUK!!!

I soaked them for 2 days, then simmered them for about 15 minutes. They came out "quite firm" , not soft like frozen, canned or fresh peas, but not hard either. They were also very "bland". I wound up throwing them out. :yuk:

Any ideas on what (if anything) I can do to improve the softness and flavor ? I really hate the idea of tossing out several pounds of dehydrated peas. :sigh:

FWIW, I have had no problem rehydrating brocolli, celery, carrots, or corn. :scratchhead:

Thanks

Campy....just a clarification: Do you have dry peas [ left on the vine until dry like dry pinto beans] or dehydrated peas that would have been served as fresh peas?

I'm guessing you're saying the latter. Hmmm......I have rehydrated my garden veggies [in general] by soaking in boiling water ...just poured over them. Wait quite a while....time varies..for them to come soft. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever rehydrated any of my garden peas. We eat them so fast.

I'm trying to remember if I have any left. If I do, you've made me curious enough to try to rehydrate them. Cuz what you're describing would be an awful surprise. :(

If worst comes to worse....use them in a soup/stew that you simmer all day. That would take care of the bland flavor. Hopefully blandness does not equate to loss of nutrition. Proper temperature when dehydrating can be an issue. But most nutrition should be there with dehydrating.

A separate issue: I've had frozen peas [cheaper commercial brands] go 'dry/hard' after being in the back of the fridge too long. I soak them in cold water for an hour before cooking and they improve a lot.

MtRider ....see if anyone else has had this happen...?

I use dry green peas some. They are commercially dried though. I soak them then pressure cook. They do require a good bit of seasoning, but I use them in soup or some other dish, not alone. Daughter likes them ok if i mix them with other things in soup or a casserole type dish. I can't eat them because of kidney problems. I normally use a lot of onion and garlic in the dish with them.

Thanks

I never thought of using boiling water to rehydrate the peas.

I will try that and see if they are any softer that way.

Edited by Campy