MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Took the new pressure cooker for a spin

...and made risotto, ate it for dinner, washed the pot, and did pot roast, which Sweetie is enthusiastically nomming down.

Good results on both, but I think I need to back off the cooking times a little. The risotto wasn't as "al dente" as I would've liked, but it was waaaaay less time and effort. Melt the butter, sautee the shallots, toast the rice, deglace with the wine, dump in the stock and come back in a few minutes to stir in the cheese. Six minutes under pressure, a few minutes of simmer and you are done. Sweeeeeeeet :)

When my sister sent me a pressure cooker, it sat on the shelf for a year before I got the nerve to use it. I was afraid I would blow it up. LOL

After I used it, I have never looked back. It fully cooks raw chicken in less than 10 minutes. Ribs are falling apart after 1/2 hour, then I take them and firm them up on the BBQ a couple of minutes for that smoky taste. I use it to cook my oldest stored beans, sometimes it takes about 2 hours. Generally, for beans, soups and such, I'll boil the liquid down a little while, after taking the lid off, to thicken it up. Machacha used to take all day, now takes an hour or so.

So many possibilities, in a fraction of the time.

Nice to hear you like it.

When my sister sent me a pressure cooker, it sat on the shelf for a year before I got the nerve to use it. I was afraid I would blow it up. LOL

After I used it, I have never looked back. It fully cooks raw chicken in less than 10 minutes. Ribs are falling apart after 1/2 hour, then I take them and firm them up on the BBQ a couple of minutes for that smoky taste. I use it to cook my oldest stored beans, sometimes it takes about 2 hours. Generally, for beans, soups and such, I'll boil the liquid down a little while, after taking the lid off, to thicken it up. Machacha used to take all day, now takes an hour or so.

So many possibilities, in a fraction of the time.

Nice to hear you like it.

Ditto Ann...I have a 6 quart Presto (and it has only a 15# weight) and use it on an absolutely regular basis. Two days ago I seared several boneless beef ribs (that were a cheap Aldi's cut) lined them in the bottom of my cooker, chunked in quartered potatoes, chunked in chunks of carrots, chunks of onions, some beef stock, put the lid on, let it come to pressure and let the weight "dance" for 30 minutes. I didn't use the trivett on the bottom, but with the stock etc., it didn't burn anything. Absolutely everything was "finger licking" good, had that "seared" taste to the meat, and didn't need a knife anywhere! Love mine too!

post-9087-0-19922700-1390408874_thumb.jpg

OK....y'all are temping me to dig out an old one I bought at thrift store for the pressure weight. Never used it. Might need a new rubber seal. ???

:unsure:

MtRider ..... :shrug:

Let the lid/seal soak in hot water...then poke your fingernail in it. Does it crack? Not good. But it's pretty easy to find new gaskets for them if they're Presto. Also noticed at Little House today, that Mountain man had an old one sitting in the corner of the "kitchen pile" that had belonged to his mother. I'll be checking it out myself!

OK....y'all are temping me to dig out an old one I bought at thrift store for the pressure weight. Never used it. Might need a new rubber seal. ???

:unsure:

MtRider ..... :shrug:

Awww, Lady. It is an adventure.

I've cooked ribs too long, 1/2 hour. Our guests were shocked when they realized they were eating the bones. Ooops.... :ashamed0002:

Recently, I've been taking the left over chicken fingers and making chicken stock with them. :yum3: It takes less than an hour for all the bones to turn to mush.