MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WE'VE BEEN ADOPTED?

Once in awhile we get a glimse of Ugly. He's hanging around another property so perhaps he's adopted them now :-) BUT...at the Homestead, have we got a story to tell! Starting from the beginning...we went to the garden area and MrWE2 saw Abby carrying "something" in her mouth. Fearing it was a rat or something, he shouted at her to drop it. She did, but picked it up again. He shouted again "Abby, drop it!" She did. When he got there it was tiny newborn kitten, eyes barely open. Because she's got a soft mouth and has the retriever instinct, it was unharmed. It had the "tuxedo" markings. She then raced to our wheel barrow that was turned upside down and under it were 3 more kitties! We got a box, lined it with some old towels and put them in it, and back under the wheel barrow along with some doggy food for momma? Went back the next day...kitties gone but food had been eaten. Next thing we new, Abby was "after" something under some things we had stored near our cellar door there at the Homestead. Guess what! MrWE2 picked up a baby kitty...same one! When he peeked in, there were the rest of them...but...when he tucked the baby back in "MommaCat" took a swipe at his hand! Next day...babies gone? Nope...one black baby was crying like crazy so we made sure Abby couldn't get anywhere near. THEN...we saw "MommaCat" racing across the yard and stopped immediately in her tracks when she saw me. I gently said "Hi there MommaCat". and she stared me right in the eye and growled! So I turned and walked away. Pretty soon...baby kitty not crying. Yesterday we saw her go across the front porch but we stayed inside the house to not frighten her again. Today? She was in a yard of our neighbors so I put a leash on Abby and kept her on the porch with me. MommaCat made her way across the front part of the property that is fenced, then raced under our travel trailer, and MrWE2 saw her head back towards the back part of the property. She's bound and determined to stay at the Homestead I guess. You'd think she'd move them far away from us after all the ruckus? We're thinking we'll be seeing some kittens venturing out in a few more weeks. We wouldn't mind keeping her but we'd have to live-trap her to get her spayed IF the vet could sedale her long enough to get it done...don't want no more litters! The babies...what in the world will we do with them? It will cost us a fortune to have them spayed or neutured! Wouldn't mind keeping "Tuxedo" since it's the one that Abby persistently dragged out :-) Stay tuned friends...who knows that will happen around our Homestead!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do Amber. Just hate to see them wander around and maybe get into traffic, or caught and taken to the pound. Our animal shelter is building a beautiful new shelter and it's a "no-kill" shelter...unless parvo or something like that breaks out :-(